Skip to content

The famous player character notebook/3 ring binder

DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I would say that Baldur's Gate was the game that started this trend for me (I think I got final fantasy tactics afterwards), but I always keep a notebook around to make up characters with their weapon proficiency and their party by my desk or with me. And when I come up with new character ideas I end up just writing them in there. I also find its a good place to keep lists of names handy that you can name your characters that you come up with.

Heck even in the last few weeks I went and picked up a new one since I was missing a spiral notebook at my desk for this reason.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone else did the same thing. Using a notebook or something similar to meticulously plan out your characters and their parties throughout various games?

Comments

• LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    I actually still have a binder of printed materials from various BG sites that I assembled for easy reference, including maps, tables, and whatnot.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Lemernis

Due to multiple moves I've lost my binder that had all of that and instead just have a bookmark folder devoted to BG and IWD
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Being an idiot i always forget to have a notebook ready so my play notes of games with sucky journals are spread out on post-it notes, they`re all over the place :p
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    God I love these forums sometimes :)
    #ImNotTheOnlyOne

Can't imagine doing that for any game at all nowadays, even the ones I like.
  • KelesKeles Member Posts: 31
    ...I did and still do it for all the oldies that were based on the various D&D rulesets. otherwise, havent really found the need/desire for the newer games that are out now. ~
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Nice old school feel! I make my plans in Open Office documents though. I have folders full of ideas for both bg1 and bg2. Love to look back once in a while to see how the idea for a favourite campaign originated.
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    Haven't done that, but after spending so much online time on this forum, I'm anticipating rolling up several different characters including classes I don't usually play. I'm thinking female cleric of Lathander in a playthrough with Rasaad, male chaotic neutral thief with Neera, female sorcerer and a bard because they're fun... I'd says some other evil character for Dorn, but, I really don't like playing evil characters. Crazy, sure, but not malicious.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I tend to keep it all as digital notes nowadays, but yeah.. some very long and convoluted txt documents sit in my BG folders.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    I've never thought of this, but it's a pretty brilliant idea. I'mma jump in this bandwagon.

@jhart1018 I've been playing the BG series for 14 years, and have *never* played evil. Dorn seems interesting enough to give it a shot. So, my fiance, who doesn't play the game, is going to guide me through the evil side. ;) He says it's all a matter of perspective. I fully intend to blame any future corruption on him.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    near photographic memory, not perfect, but i remember things well enough that i never keep a journal/etc. i actually wish my memory wasn't so good, as it's hard to replay games when you remember most everything that happens. I've finally forgotten enough about some old nes games that i can play though them again and be surprised. :)
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    And I thought I was the only one with this strange habit . O joy , soul bro and sis ...
  • DukeOfSuffolkDukeOfSuffolk Member Posts: 22
    This is great habit for games with heavy story, lots of things to remember and just general notes. As an avid interactive fiction (IF) and rogue/hack player, this habit is the only reason you can get through some games; BG a little less so, but it is SO helpful sometimes and saves time. I get sick of looking up my weapon proficiencies every time I get a new weapon.

In my opinion, modern games have moved away from this model for a number of reasons. @TrentOster famously has been preaching about the dumbing down of game for various reasons: I tend to agree. Modern gamers find the "work" (as some people think it is) involved with writing things down in addition to being on a computer or console is too much. I find it so much more immersive. On top of that, you never lose your place in a game, such as after a long break from an RPG. How many times have you restarted an Final Fantasy game because you don't remember the story?!

I still have my IF notebook with all the maps. Some may say you are removing replay value or cheating, while I believe the contrary: this enhances replay because you can worry about different choices, rather than figuring out the maze all over again. More Choices, More Depth... More Fun.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Same happens to me in strategy games. "What was I going to do next?" "Where are my production centers?" Easier to re-start.
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    Heh , I remember while playing x-com , I draw my base and plan where to put my modules .
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I normally don't take notes during the game itself but it allows me to keep my party ideas coherent etc. It also means I can think of a party and put it on paper and wait a few days to make sure it still sounds good and work out the finer details.

Also I'm really glad to see I'm not the only one with this habit. I thought when I made this topic that I might end up looking crazy.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I use Windows Notepad to plan out my end game party equipment, HP, Thieving skills, etc. I tend to be super anal about stuff though, so like even when I played my old SNES emulator I would record HP gains, etc. on games like Seventh Saga, lol.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I've said i use Open Office documents to plan my party, if I come upon an in-game riddle that's difficult to solve, I got a ring binder with notes i take to start solving the riddle on paper (like for instance the prince's and princess' age asked by the genie in the Circus).
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I always fucked up that one, @Son_of_Imoen - I like the riddles in BG and I find most of them to be easy, but that one... I just answered "whatever" and charged in :P

Also, I like to plan parties in advance, but mainly for IWD. I think many games don't give you that satisfying feeling of thinking about the game while you're not playing it. Baldur's Gate does.