Skip to content

Should I pick up IWD? Normally Powergame Solo through Baldur's Gate Trilogy

Never played IWD, don't like to party really, prefer to make the strongest/best solo character I possibly can. Might consider playing a party but I just hate the fact that they are all so slow all the time.

Should I play IWD and If so, what would be the best class that also is fun?

Comments

• T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited October 2015
    Cleric of helm 11→Theif backstabbing/sneak attack with seeking sword+4 from sanctuary in full plate. Are you kidding me? How can you go wrong?

Blade- longbow +offensive spin. Lots of bard items throughout, as well as specific bard interactions. Greatness! Bards are strong, as always, level fast and just dominate the battlefield. Regular bard, has multiple song and one of them heals you.

Cleric/mage- 30/30

Dragon disciple- heal yourself with fire. Eventually 20 constitution, if you are human or half elf who starts with 18.

I hate parties too, they only serve to steal your xp, and get in your way. Duets are fun in IWD, solo is alright. Healers are almost necessary, unless you enjoy carrying around hundreds of basic healing potions, unless you kite or are a sorcerer. There is persistent traps, but Theives are not entirely necessary. Neither are mages.

In conclusion, you should get IWD. It's fun

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You can play IWD solo if you wanna. You can also create your own ultimate power gaming party. It doesn't have to be 6 guys either.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    F/M/T. Can't go wrong on a solo run.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited October 2015
    Once I soloed with a cleric/ranger - stealth+spells+good attack rolls make really nice tactics.
  • ahhyepahhyep Member Posts: 114
    I normally play FMT but is a healer really necessary?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Nope
  • T2avT2av Member Posts: 202
    edited October 2015
    ahhyep said:

I normally play FMT but is a healer really necessary?

Not really. Trollish fortitude, lots of fire restistence.. Spam fireballs at yourself. There's lot of different creative ways... Also you could rest for 33 days...(I frown upon this)

You can carry lots of health potions; later on in game you get chainmail that heals you.

A healer just makes things run more smoothly from start to finish.
    Post edited by T2av on
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    T2av said:

Trolling fortitude

My advice is to stop using this spell.
    I have been resting for many days. LOL. currently 8/9/11 and just started severed hand. been using armor/mirror image/haste/fireball. looking forward to finding stoneskin soon. fireball is awesome for this game. items have been pretty decent for me as well. i guess the main goal is to get 6 attacks per round since improved haste isnt in the game? so thinking of maining minotaur axe and offhanding the longsword that gives APR.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Improved haste is in the game, I used it all the time in my last playthrough.
    BillyYank said:

Improved haste is in the game, I used it all the time in my last playthrough.

Where? Can I get 10 APR?
    Really? The guides online don't show it to be there...
    edited October 2015
    I may have spoke to soon. Looking at my last HoW save, my mage doesn't have it in her spellbook, I was using my sorceress to cast it. I can't imagine not getting it for my mage if I found it.

Edit: According to Haerevon's walkthrough, you can find a scroll in Heart of Winter.

At Edion's tower on the Burial Isle.

I don't know why I didn't pick it up.
    edited October 2015
    Hmmm, do we know the best in slot gear for a FMT? Things I need to fish etc? I normally power play. Looks like I need to get a 1APR +4 longsword, spec longswords + axes.

Axe of the Minotaur lord when not backstabbing and a +3 katana when backstabbing? dual wield, long sword, axe, katana specialties? Should I mainhand +4 longsword and offhand a defender item?

Not sure about the rest? armor rings etc? iunno :)

stoneskin/mirror image/improved haste kinda guy
    This walkthrough was written with exactly that kind of gaming in mind. He even details which items it's easy to fish for and which aren't worth the trouble.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/871349-icewind-dale-enhanced-edition/faqs/70660
    i hate that walkthrough, so much reading :) notepad ftl
    edited October 2015
    Yeah, I certainly didn't read the whole thing. I just finished an area, then read through his write up of that area to make sure I didn't miss anything.

My favorite sword was the +4 long sword of action, for the extra APR. I also kept the +5 Aionen's (sp?) blade for those few bosses that needed it and one of the flaming swords for trolls. My ranger was dual wielding scimitars and katanas, whichever was best at the time.