Skip to content

One fast question about monks

FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
This thread will be over quickly, since I only need one response.
:)

As a monk rises in level, his fists take on the properties of magical weapons. Once this happens, can he still hit an opponent who has cast Protection from Magical Weapons on themselves, or does he need to carry a non-magical weapon around to cover such an eventuality?

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited October 2015
    Past level 9, a monk will not be able to hit an opponent with Protection from Magical Weapon.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited October 2015
    Wonderful; I was afraid of that. That is seriously stupid. Did my fists grow magical plating or something? I would logically have thought that as a monk gets more experienced, he knows the vital points of an enemy so well that he does damage that seems magical, but is really just due to well placed hits that bypass whatever protection the target has vs normal weapon attacks.

And even if I do carry non-magical weapons, my THAC0 is likely to be poor since I can't get much expertise with them. I'll be dependent on a mage to bring down the enemy defenses first. Most enemy spell casters put up PFMW routinely, often as part of a contingency or sequencer. Monks are so gimped.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I always thought it was more of a chi thing. Like Iron Fist, but with magic iron.
    High level monks really aren't gimped. You still have warrior THAC0 progression, so you're probably not going to have much trouble hitting Mages.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.