Skip to content

Weapon Set Switching via Hotkeys, and Customizable Hotbar ( Quickslots, Dual Wielding Swap Issue )

Comments

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited January 2013

The devs are aware of this and will look into implementing this feature into the GUI. Unfortunately, it must be done post-ship as there is too much work going on to release the game on time, right now.
    Customizable hot bar is also being considered.

@AndreaColombo post-ship after BG2EE or we can hope that we will have this feature soon? :)

P.S. Needs to be merged with
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/13064/improved-weapon-load-outs
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110
    I have a suspicion this is really difficult to implement, I remember ascension64 saying in the Tobex feature request thread that he wouldn't be able to mod it in, and he's one of the best out there

Really hope I'm wrong though, original code access and all that
  • CactusCactus Member Posts: 152
    Make it possible to swap between dual-wielding - sword-shield style - twohanded weapon and ranged weapons, without having to enter the inventory. This would really improve gameplay :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    This was the one thing I was hoping BG:EE would add, actually. It's particularly annoying for sword and shield (or 2-weapon) to ranged (bow/xbow). IWD had a way to do this, so I thought that the coding existed in the Inifinity Engine, but I'm no tech-wizard.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Yeah, it's a very popular request. The developers definitely know about it after all of the threads opened on the subject, as TJ_Hooker pointed out.

Being an optimist, I'm going to go ahead and assume that, assuming the engine allows for such a change, we'll have weapon swapping akin to Icewind Dale II's by BG2EE's release.
  • QaetaQaeta Member Posts: 7
    Now I don't actually want to gain the shield benefit while using the bow, but right now I'm having to juggle shields and bows in inventory in the middle of combat. Is there any way to allow shield using characters to equip a bow, and just not gain the shield benefits while actively using the bow? The IWD2 weapon sets idea would be ideal, but I figure this would be easier to implement.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    I did like the IWD2 way of doing this, but if you wanted to use the same shield with two different one-handed weapons then you're back to juggling.
    Yeah, lucky for me, I tend to focus on one melee weapon type and one ranged weapon type, so it never ended up being a major issue for me. Although I do seem to remember a few times that forced a weapon change due to damage reduction.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

I don't know if I really like the IWD2 method. If you're slinging arrows around the battlefield and an enemy closes the distance, your tower shield isn't going to blink into existence in front of you to protect you. More likely you would end up forced to fight without the shield. Or at least scramble to get it strapped on... like in BG1 when you could go to the Inv. screen to do it, but time was still passing outside.

That scrambling is portrayed in the aggravation in clicking things around. For me, my archers just don't use shields - they give up the AC benefit in exchange for the (massive) advantage of using ranged weapons. Seems fair to me.

I could see making the argument for buckles, but that's it.

This is one of the situations where, in my opinion, realism should be bent in the name of fun. It is after all, at its core, entertainment, not a super realistic mideval combat simulator. I would argue that clicking around in the inventory (particularly now, where it is paused anyway, mean you still have the "blinking into existence") is not particularly fun, especially in a combat situation.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Qaeta said:

I don't know if I really like the IWD2 method. If you're slinging arrows around the battlefield and an enemy closes the distance, your tower shield isn't going to blink into existence in front of you to protect you. More likely you would end up forced to fight without the shield. Or at least scramble to get it strapped on... like in BG1 when you could go to the Inv. screen to do it, but time was still passing outside.

That scrambling is portrayed in the aggravation in clicking things around. For me, my archers just don't use shields - they give up the AC benefit in exchange for the (massive) advantage of using ranged weapons. Seems fair to me.

I could see making the argument for buckles, but that's it.

This is one of the situations where, in my opinion, realism should be bent in the name of fun. It is after all, at its core, entertainment, not a super realistic mideval combat simulator. I would argue that clicking around in the inventory (particularly now, where it is paused anyway, mean you still have the "blinking into existence") is not particularly fun, especially in a combat situation.
    Agree.

If the Cleric is allowed to bring people back from the dead, maybe the archer knows a cantrip which allows him to equip a shield extra fast.
    I'n my case, its my PC (Ranger dual-wielding longswords) and Ajantis with his shield.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    Would love to see this implemented.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2013
    Bhaaldog said:

@subtledoctor this is starting to get dangerous...

Nothing dangerous I hope, you're right behind me... right?

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
  • BlashBlash Member Posts: 248
    Will dual wield be revised in the upcoming patch?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Not in the upcoming patch, no.
  • tommytommy Member Posts: 401
    Please allow to add a two handed weapon to the weapon slots while wearing a shild (Just disable the shield slot when wearing a two handed weapon).
    Currently its to complicated to switch between a two handed weapon(Bow) and a one handed weapon + shild.

• HuntHunt Member Posts: 27
    To go along with this, it would sure be nice to be able to leave something in your offhand (shield or offhand weapon) when using weapons with both melee and range component (throwing daggers, darts, axes, etc.)

Also, some clarification on how throwing weapons work would be good. For instance, if using the boomerang dagger +2, do you get the bonuses from single-weapon style when using it at range, or only when in melee range? Or at all?
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    @Hunt The weapon styles only apply to melee weapons.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Why stop there? How about a shield in each hand with a weapon (or a 2-handed) in each hand, as well as one for each foot?
  • HuntHunt Member Posts: 27
    I don't have it's stats in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it is a melee weapon when you use it in melee range, so does that mean you get the bonus when using it in melee range? If not, pick any of the melee/range weapons out there, rifthome axe, K'logarath, azureedge, dwarven thrower, etc.
  • XanarXanar Member Posts: 96
    @Hunt The way things work in the current version only melee weapons get a bonus from weapon styles. Anything with a ranged component is treated as a ranged weapon and gets no style bonus.
  • Survivorman2099Survivorman2099 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed Baldur's Gate 2:Enhanced Edition went on sale a couple of days ago, so I decided I would finally get around to playing my BG1:EE so that I would have a character to import into the second game. I rolled a ranger, first thing I noticed is how I cannot alternate between using a bow and dual wielding without opening the inventory each and every time.

As I recall, this is perhaps the only gripe I had with the original BG and BG2, and I am truly disappointed seeing it again in BG1:EE. If it is this difficult to dual wield in BG2:EE- and from what I've seen and heard it probably is= I won't be picking up that game as I've already got the original release version.

What is the point of buying an enhanced edition if the developer's don't enhance the game? Wish I could sell BG1:EE back or dump it on ebay, but it's on my Steam account so.. meh. Won't be making the same mistake twice.