Skip to content

Will There Be Running Animation?

sappedsapped Member Posts: 1
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Hey guys, first post here, really nice to meet all u old school gamers here, and talk
about the game which brought us so much memories from long past.

Anyways I was just wondering, will there be running animations in the Enhanced Edition?

One of the main "drawbacks" I consider when playing these old school RPGs is the total
lack of running animations, especially for most of the Infinity Engine games.

I find this to be really immersion breaking, especially so after playing a lot of the "newer"
RPGs in the past decade, it's pretty hard to go back to that.

What I'm talking about is every single character in game can only walk and never run in
any situations, even in heavy combat or trying to escape a life threatening situation,
eg. traps.

This really affects the immersion factor for me, and I believe I'm not alone in this. Those
games would be so perfect otherwise!

It would be so great if the devs can add in both walk and run animations, just like in
Planescape: Torment, although not necessarily as clunky.

Anyways, thank you guys so much for remaking this pure classic, can't wait to play it
again after so long!

Comments

• KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    No.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    @sapped First of all man, welcome to the forums! We hope you enjoy it here and that you'll give your money to Beamdog.

To be more specific, new animations can't be drawn. I forget if it's against their agreement or just too big a task.

Either way the undertaking would be impossibly big. The great news is everybody shall walk faster, much faster.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Konabuga said:

No.

I see you are saving energy at this harsh time... :)
  • KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    @mch202

Brevity is the soul of wit.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    A sprint ability would be nice. Did that exist in 2nd edition PnP?
    edited September 2012
    As for the OP, There will be no new animation in BG:EE, including running. though they have fixed the walking speed to the one of BG2.

Also running with a full plate mail armor can prove quite... devastating. Try running with 40-50KG of steel on your back, you will assure yourself an early retirement.

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @mch202 I'm a geek so I'll butt in. Typical full suits of plate armour were 30kg at best, maille suits without plate were a bit lighter.

A fit man could run, leap, jump and swim, but it wasn't easy. Certain you couldn't run around the forest for hours and rest for 8 hours in it and then go again.
    Ward said:

@mch202 I'm a geek so I'll butt in. Typical full suits of plate armour were 30kg at best, maille suits without plate were a bit lighter.

A fit man could run, leap, jump and swim, but it wasn't easy. Certain you couldn't run around the forest for hours and rest for 8 hours in it and then go again.

Well.. Add to that a Helmet which can easily weight 3kg plus sword and shield and you got yourself 40KG ,exclude the backpack. I dont say its don't possible to move around with it, even modern soldiers carry as this much weight. but if running is possible its only for very short distances and with risking twisting your ankles
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    If memory serves Planescape: Torment had some running animations. Unfortunately I think it would be impossible to include in BG:EE given present constraints. I also wonder as to what extent such an ability would effect the combat balance.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Running leaves you open to an attack of opportunity.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Running might also get you away from attacks of opportunity.

"There would be no dishonor if we were to retreat and return again, with BIGGER SWORDS!" - Minsc, upon seeing Fiirkraag.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    In 4E, running also makes you grant combat advantage, so bandits repeatedly yelling "So I kicked him in the head until he was dead! Nyahahaha!" as they fire arrows at you would be even more likely to pin-cushion you. ;P