Skip to content

[Bug] Baeloth bugs out if dismissed inside FAI

I'm fairly sure that I reported this long ago, before v1.3, but I've noticed that it's still happening in v1.3, so I'll mention it again.

Observed: if you dismiss Baeloth within the FAI, then instead of turning neutral and walking up to you to speak his exit line (and the protagonist automatically advising him to lurk outside the eastern wall of the FAI, thereby letting the player know where to find him later), Baeloth instantly vanishes (not walking away, just vanishing). You can't then save the game until after zoning to a new area, because Baeloth (even though he's no longer present) is still waiting to talk to you.

Expected: Baeloth ought to walk up to the protagonist for his exit discussion when dismissed within the FAI (just as he does in other locations), and then walk away before vanishing.

Note: for an experienced player who knows where Baeloth lurks, this bug isn't a huge deal - you can go out to meet him, and then the conversation will complete (and unlock the save function). For a newbie, however, the missing exit discussion means that s/he has no clue about where Baeloth has gone - a new player might well end up incorrectly believing that Baeloth has permanently left the game.

Note: a side-effect of this is that after dismissing Baeloth within the FAI, the party can walk out and wait outside the gatehouse of the FAI, and after a minute or so (it's a long walk) Baeloth will arrive, having walked half-way around the map, and finally have the exit discussion which he ought to have had inside the building. Then when you confirm that you want him to leave, he'll stay standing there by the gatehouse, instead of at his normal waiting location at the east edge. Actually that's a little more convenient, if you intend to re-recruit him later ... but you wouldn't normally hang around outside the gatehouse for long enough for this to happen, unless you knew about this issue and had deliberately chosen to wait there.