Skip to content

Edwin and Red Wizards

Have you been able to confront (kill) the Red Wizards east of Peldvale while having Edwin in your group?
I've tried hiding Edwin, paralyzing him, hell I even PETRIFIED him but as long as his picture was in my group, these guys book.
I'm fast, at this point REAL fast, but can't nuke 'em before they leave.
Yes, punting Edwin is an option but with Minsc in group and with 18 rep, it's dicey if I could get him back (in fact, I think I tried this and he booked).
Your play?

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    you're going to have to kill them offscreen,
    there is a scroll of cloudkill in an area south of nashkiel located in a mound of dirt, ( it's in the area where you get the bracers of archery/ find rufie quest) so what I do is grab that scroll and blast it over in their area without seeing the leader guy, and sometimes all 4 will die on the first round, or if you have some fireball magic, blast some of that in the fog of war on their position
    SharguildSkatanJuliusBorisov
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    edited November 2015
    heh, sneaky bastitch...^
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Yes, I usually sneak round and attack from the NE with potions of explosions, fireballs etc. (once the NE corner of the temple(?) appears you know exactly where they are - and they can't come after you because their exit is to the SW).
    JuliusBorisov
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited November 2015
    I note the techniques above with thanks, in case I ever want to try this.

Thus far, though, I don't think I've ever even tried to kill Edwin's colleagues with him in the party. I don't take Edwin in BG1 very often (only if I'm playing Evil or Neutral/Evil, and even then I'm more often using other Evil Mages), although of course he's more of a fixture for Evil runs in BG2. When I do have Edwin with me, I just go with the flow of the story and let his colleagues depart as intended. But maybe next time he's around (and perhaps especially if my protagonist is Chaotic), I might try killing them.

However, I reckon the difficulty would be getting the message from Denak and then still managing to kill them before they vanish, and I think that's probably what @Sharguild had in mind too. Obviously killing them offscreen can work as others have testified, but that way you don't get the dialogue.

Edit: spelling.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    As Gallowglass suggested, I was rather hoping of actually saying hi first, in the spirit of the story and I understand his rationale of not killing some folk that are actually in league with Eddie. However, Ed is a bit of a self centered s.o.b. and if it contributes to his current agenda, I don't think he would even blink twice if ya put these berks in the deadbook.
    With that said, they are Red Wizards, I have no qualms of releasing them from this mortal coil by any means necessary when playing a rainbows and unicorns type group.

DJKajuru
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    edited November 2015

I note the techniques above with thanks, in case I ever want to try this.

Thus far, though, I don't think I've ever even tried to kill Edwin's colleagues with him in the party. I don't take Edwin in BG1 very often (only if I'm playing Evil or Neutral/Evil, and even then I'm more often using other Evil Mages), although of course he's more of a fixture for Evil runs in BG2. When I do have Edwin with me, I just go with the flow of the story and let his colleagues depart as intended. But maybe next time he's around (and perhaps especially if my protagonist is Chaotic), I might try killing them.

However, I reckon the difficulty would be getting the message from Denak and then still managing to kill them before they vanish, and I think that's probably what @Sharguild had in mind too. Obviously killing them offscreen can work as others have testified, but that way you don't get the dialogue.

Edit: spelling.

your only chance of killing all four of them while after the dialogue would be with the spell cloud kill, first you probably have to start the casting before you initiate dialogue and then after the dialogue has ended the spell would go off, apparently if they fail their save they can all die on the first round, and plus even if you let them go, there is only one item that they have that you can't get anywhere else in the game, and to be honest it's not all that powerful anyway, so no major loss if they leave

edited November 2015
    sarevok57 said:

... there is only one item that they have that you can't get anywhere else in the game, and to be honest it's not all that powerful anyway, so no major loss if they leave

Agreed.

Everyone who has killed them in the default situation (i.e. without Edwin) knows what their loot is, but I'm thinking of trying it just to see if we can get both the dialogue and the loot. However, I completed an Evil run quite recently, so it might be a while before I fancy doing so again.
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    Speaking of Red Wizards, you should try having Edwin in your party when encountering the Red Wizards going after Neera, both in her first encounter and while doing her quest. :)

Speaking of Red Wizards, you should try having Edwin in your party when encountering the Red Wizards going after Neera, both in her first encounter and while doing her quest. :)

Good point, I haven't tried that. Tell us what happens, @thelovebat (in spoiler tags, I guess).