Skip to content

The Issue With Multiplayer

mcjarvismcjarvis Member Posts: 4
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
In looking at the "Enhancements" listed for the game, improved multiplayer platform support is mentioned. However, the big problem I had with multiplayer in the original BG was how it did not flow very well in the following ways:

1) The nature of the game is it is mostly reading, and often one player would be waiting for his companions to finish reading.
2) In some circumstances, teammates would inadvertently skip dialogue their team had not yet read, thus ruining the game experience.
3) The nature of the game is that conversation is a major part of the game: decisions made in conversation to a large extent ARE the game. How will these decisions be made? BG originally just had whoever started the conversation make the decision, but this made the multiplayer experience feel more like "be dragged along with your teammates".

Has any work been taken to improve the overall quality of multiplayer as it was implemented, or are the improvements simply issues like matchmaking and platform support?

Comments

• CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Point 3 is especially interesting. I too would like to know the answer to that, but I think the overall multiplayer experience depends largely on the participants themselves, reaching consensus where it's needed, waiting for each other to get ready, etc.
  • mcjarvismcjarvis Member Posts: 4
    A part of my point is that tools which help the party come to these decisions would be appreciated. Options might include polling or simply displaying what each member of the party wants to answer before the decision maker makes that decision. Regardless, simply using chat is confusing and slow.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I don't think you can get rid of the feeling of 'being dragged along with your teammates' in multiplayer entirely. Not at this stage anyway. I think you're always going to need someone to take the lead and make the decisions, it's not like you can put it up for a vote.

Though it's always better if you can communicate and work as a team. I suggest working out a course of action for conversations and decision making beforehand to save on possible arguments on how to proceed later on.
  • GalenGalen Member Posts: 11
    I am planning to share the BG experience with my girlfriend, whom has never played any of the BG saga. I was majorly concerned how it would work from a multiplayer stand point as well. The game can be slow-paced when it's just one person behind the helm.

For us, it'll be a bit easier because we can play together in the same room and discuss our actions and tactics, but it must be impossibly hard for players not in the same room. @HeroicSpur your suggestions sound like exactly the right ideas. Though, the dialog choices will always be the hardest part of any party-based game where all the party are real players not NPCs.

I hope some of these cries were heard and that "improvements to multiplayer" doesn't just mean better connectivity, et al.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I think mcjarvis makes some important points and it is a shame that this thread has not been very popular, multi player is a feature I am wanting to work really well, me and my friends have put off gameranger waiting for this game and hope that the experience of the game is not as flat as it was in gameranger
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Galen @Majoca actually it does seem like there'll be a bit more to multiplayer than just connectivity, but we're just not sure how much...yet. Trent has mentioned that in addition to connectivity and stability, there'll be some juicy new features in multiplayer, simultaneous shop use is almost certainly one of those.

I also agree multiplayer doesn't seem that popular, but at times it can be incredible, and with the right enhancements, it will really become something special. I will pretty much only be playing BG:EE multiplayer (pc, laptop and ipad) so I'm really hoping this area has been improved.
    My own hopes for multiplayer are very high: I've played through the Baldur's Gate series around 30 times, moreso than any other game I've ever played. I really want to share that experience with my SO and friends, which to my mind will only be accomplished with a cleaned up multiplayer experience.
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2012

@Galen @Majoca actually it does seem like there'll be a bit more to multiplayer than just connectivity, but we're just not sure how much...yet. Trent has mentioned that in addition to connectivity and stability, there'll be some juicy new features in multiplayer, simultaneous shop use is almost certainly one of those.

He really did say that? Can you put the quote? That would be one of the best news I heard about this enhanced edition, so I want to be sure :) .

I also agree multiplayer doesn't seem that popular, but at times it can be incredible, and with the right enhancements, it will really become something special. I will pretty much only be playing BG:EE multiplayer (pc, laptop and ipad) so I'm really hoping this area has been improved.

Don't worry, they are targeting a massive audience this time : 500 000 copies objective. And todays, massive audience is in favor of social gaming (from the immature 12 year old kids to the mature gamers). So I believe that they will put more attention into multiplayer (while still focusing on the single player experience).
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    My friends and I are planning to use Skype for our multiplayer campaign. Might even be worth recording for a YouTube commentary series like Game Grumps or a Let's Play!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    There at the least needs to be a freetext box (much like in NWN2) where you can enter your own text that your character then says. I can't see how multiplayer will work otherwise.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @decado
    That exists in the base game, so I can't imagine Overhaul would remove it.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

@decado
    That exists in the base game, so I can't imagine Overhaul would remove it.

Awesome - I never managed to play multiplayer with BG before so didn't know about that.

The best usage of multiplayer in the original BG was if you wanted to create a six person party yourself and play BG Icewind Dale style.
  • CuanCuan Member Posts: 38
    I just hope they sort out the pausing in multiplayer - I did play multiplayer with friends back in the day with BG and pausing always had like a 2/3 sec delay. Something would happen that you needed to pause an react to immediately but would sit there waiting for the pause to kick in, then you would push it again as you where not sure if it registered due to the horrible delay and would end up pasing and unpausing immediately - was horrible.

This was not lag either - it happens if you play multiplayer on your own on one computer in multiplayer. I use to copy my multiplayer save to single player just to stop the delay when playing on my own with multiple made charnames.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    I actually never played BG online in vanilla. I always assumed it would just work where everyone has the same dialog and the party leader would select the choices. It's not like you can't just scroll back afterwards to read the text.
    @Nathan what do you mean by player inspection?
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Ah, inspection like... being able to look at another character's items, etc etc.
  • EilerEiler Member Posts: 93
    While I am not a big fan of Starwars The Old Republic MMO overall I did find the group dialogue mechanic used there for dungeons interesting. It prevented groups from just bulldozing through the instance in one chaotic charge to the end and created opportunities for discussion or amusement whenever a dialogue driven group/party decision had to be made.
    mcjarvis said:

A part of my point is that tools which help the party come to these decisions would be appreciated. Options might include polling or simply displaying what each member of the party wants to answer before the decision maker makes that decision. Regardless, simply using chat is confusing and slow.

@Nathan, I may be wrong since it's been a while, but i thought you could already do that in multiplayer?

Also, should we expect more info on multilayer features to come soon, or will it take a little bit more time?
  • SilySily Member Posts: 91
    edited September 2012
    I think Neverwinter Nights 2 had the multiplayer done perfectly, both in the Original Campaign and Storm of Zehir (Lets not talk about MOTB, I -HATE- Epic Levels)

In Original Campaign, you pick a party leader (This can be changed anytime in game), and this character will do all the conversations in scripted cutscenes, while others watch (and see his options.) Otherwise conversations can be initiated by anyone, and the perosn who initiates them goes through them. Perfect for a coop between 2 - 4 people, if all are friends and party's "face" has been decided.

In Storm of Zehir, once you get into a conversation, anyone in the party can talk. This results in chaos, unless you play with -friends- and talk about things. First, choose the party's regular face again, with conversation skills and what not. And if another character has high lore, and gets the option; You pause the game and tell it in chat. Then use the Lore skill instead of the "face" speaking again. (Of course SoZ missed the NWN 2 OC Cutscenes completely, some I even liked, they weren't all that bad!)

I need no SW:TOR conversations with random rolling and what not, either of these options said before work perfect. At least with my friends, that is.

EDIT: I hope I can give every player in my party the option to pause, and if paused - always ask wether people are ready before taking pause off again. Could maybe even play with the "One round, then automatic pause" option on.

EDIT 2: Inspecting another player's gear is not necessary for me, not at all. Just let us exchange items and that's all we need with my friends.
    @Sily: the purpose of allowing inspecting is to streamline multiplayer play. It's something which has no real downsides at all. It means everyone can see what new magic items do, and very importantly for new players, it lets you all read notes and letters at the same time without stalling the game or leaving some players in the dark. For more experienced players like you it may not be necessary, but for new players it will be.
  • etaglocetagloc Member Posts: 349
    bg Multiplayer is fine... im pretty sure this game never really intended to score its points on its multiplayer part ..for me its just an added bonus feature. this will always be a singleplayer game, and it dosnt try to be anything else.. take the mp part for what it is.
    etagloc said:

bg Multiplayer is fine... im pretty sure this game never really intended to score its points on its multiplayer part ..for me its just an added bonus feature. this will always be a singleplayer game, and it dosnt try to be anything else.. take the mp part for what it is.

Well not everyone share this view, that's why there are some threads about it and the multiplayer community is still alive on gameranger.
    I believe they are predicting that multi will be much more in demand now, as they worked on cross-platform multiplayer and easy match-making. It's a consequence of their 500K goal : massive audience = multiplayer demand nowadays.
    @Nathan: is there any word of whether the planned multiplayer improvements (whether post release or not) include removing the arbitration screen on reloads? One of the most frustrating things in multiplayer is having to 'click in' every time the game has to reload.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @HeroicSpur Multiplayer will be undergoing some extensive testing. We'll be doing our best to fix it up. =)
    @Nathan, I've no doubt there'll be plenty of testing ;)
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    This is one of the thinks I brought up in the old Reddit days as well :) I hope multiplayer will be improved, last year we played through BG + BG2 in multiplayer and while it was a great experience it also had quite some bugs and we had quite a few ideas for imrovement. I hope these will be looked at as well, we actually hoped to play coming weekend again with the 3 of us, but we'll just have to wait for november and see if these issues have been solved :)