Skip to content

How old is Anomen?

2»

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited December 2015
    @TheWhitefire Well, there's also Rasaad, but I haven't played his romance yet.
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    Ahh, that's right. I forgot you could romance him. I think I ended up never using him because I didn't know how to use him tactically.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited December 2015

Is there any need to be that rude? I asked a question precisely because I wanted to know the answer from people who knew better, it's not as if I were giving arguments to fight back what they said, we were rather discussing it with our opinions on the matter. Sorry if we're not all erudite on the Forgotten Realms matter, I try my best, at least.

I meant no hostility, though what @scriver said to me, that's true hostility there, claiming I brought nothing to the table before trying to understand my point, and going so far to claim I need to evaluate my reading skills, that's just low and uncalled for. And my point is Ajantis Ilvastarr, one of the companions of the first BG game, was once in Anomen's shoes in BG1, and he ended up becoming a full-fledged knight of the Radiant Heart not because he is 40 (he is apparently in his 20's), but because he proved himself worthy to be a true knight by being one of your companions in your investigation and fight against the Iron Throne. Anomen must prove himself worthy too, it's not all about age. Just because Anomen is generally too young to be accepted into the senior branch of the Radiant Heart does not mean there is no alternative way for him, or even Ajantis to join the senior branch. I just didn't understand why people are confused at how Anomen is able to officially become a knight when the answer is right in front of us, I meant no insult at all.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2015

Is there any need to be that rude? I asked a question precisely because I wanted to know the answer from people who knew better, it's not as if I were giving arguments to fight back what they said, we were rather discussing it with our opinions on the matter. Sorry if we're not all erudite on the Forgotten Realms matter, I try my best, at least.

He ended up becoming a full-fledged knight of the Radiant Heart because he proved himself by being one of your companions in your fight against the Iron Throne.
    What is your source for this?

Keldorn does mention him as a former squire in Baldur's Gate 2, but never how he became a knight, we get to know very little about Ajantis in Baldur's Gate 2. If i remember right it's only Keldorn and Anomen that mention him.

I've just gone through the dialogue again, and Keldorn doesn't mention him being his squire, I don't remember where I've read that part.

"One of them is a knight who ranged far up the Sword Coast... by the name of Ajantis"

edited December 2015
    SionIV said:

He ended up becoming a full-fledged knight of the Radiant Heart because he proved himself by being one of your companions in your fight against the Iron Throne.
    What is your source for this? Keldorn does mention him as a former squire in Baldur's Gate 2, but never how he became a knight, we get to know very little about Ajantis in Baldur's Gate 2. If i remember right it's only Keldorn and Anomen that mention him.

I've just gone through the dialogue again, and Keldorn doesn't mention him being his squire, I don't remember where I've read that part.

"One of them is a knight who ranged far up the Sword Coast... by the name of Ajantis"
    Look up Ajantis's biography when he is in your party in BG1 or BG1:EE. When you do, his bio should say this:

"When asked about his past, Ajantis announces that he is a squire-paladin of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart and that he enforces the power and discipline of Helm. He belongs to the noble family of Ilvastarr in Waterdeep, and studied swordplay under such as Myrmith Splendon. His skill and devotion apparently brought him to the attention of the paladin Keldorn, one of the most respected of the order, who decided to take Ajantis under his wing as a squire. Recently Ajantis has asked for the honor of becoming a full-fledged member of the order. To accomplish this he has traveled to the Sword Coast, in order to curtail the increased humanoid activities in the region. If he succeeds in his quest the order will vote on his eligibility for membership. He seems utterly devoted to his mission."

In other words, he devoted himself into investigating the Iron Crisis to become a full-fledged knight.

By the way, you contradicted yourself at first saying that Keldorn does say mention him as a former squire, but later you say he doesn't mention him as a former squire. You never had Keldorn with you at Windspear Hills, did you? Spoiler alert, I won't say no more if you really don't know, besides, I don't remember how to do spoiler tags.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2015

SionIV said:

What is your source for this? Keldorn does mention him as a former squire in Baldur's Gate 2, but never how he became a knight, we get to know very little about Ajantis in Baldur's Gate 2. If i remember right it's only Keldorn and Anomen that mention him.

Look up Ajantis's biography when he is in your party in BG1 or BG1:EE. When you do, his bio should say this:

"When asked about his past, Ajantis announces that he is a squire-paladin of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart and that he enforces the power and discipline of Helm. He belongs to the noble family of Ilvastarr in Waterdeep, and studied swordplay under such as Myrmith Splendon. His skill and devotion apparently brought him to the attention of the paladin Keldorn, one of the most respected of the order, who decided to take Ajantis under his wing as a squire. Recently Ajantis has asked for the honor of becoming a full-fledged member of the order. To accomplish this he has traveled to the Sword Coast, in order to curtail the increased humanoid activities in the region. If he succeeds in his quest the order will vote on his eligibility for membership. He seems utterly devoted to his mission."
    Nice, I haven't read the NPC's biographies in ages, going to have to remedy that on my next playthrough. It's quite interesting that while Keldorn does mention Ajantis, he seems to know very little about him, for having had him as his squire.
    edited December 2015
    SionIV said:

Nice, I haven't read the NPC's biographies in ages, going to have to remedy that on my next playthrough. It's quite interesting that while Keldorn does mention Ajantis, he seems to know very little about him, for having had him as his squire.

Keldorn strikes me as the kind of guy who is more loyal to his mission as a paladin than to his family and friends, so he doesn't try to get to know people on a personal level often.

• Keldorn strikes me as the kind of guy who is more loyal to his mission as a paladin than to his family and friends, so he doesn't try to get to know people on a personal level often.

Thinking about a lot of his banters, this strikes me as a reasonable interpretation. Granted, he takes a greater interest in the protagonist, but that's because their personal heritage is quite a bit more significant when it comes to his overall mission.
  • IsabellaGrangerIsabellaGranger Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2015

I meant no hostility, though what @scriver said to me, that's true hostility there, claiming I brought nothing to the table before trying to understand my point, and going so far to claim I need to evaluate my reading skills, that's just low and uncalled for. And my point is Ajantis Ilvastarr, one of the companions of the first BG game, was once in Anomen's shoes in BG1, and he ended up becoming a full-fledged knight of the Radiant Heart not because he is 40 (he is apparently in his 20's), but because he proved himself worthy to be a true knight by being one of your companions in your investigation and fight against the Iron Throne. Anomen must prove himself worthy too, it's not all about age. Just because Anomen is generally too young to be accepted into the senior branch of the Radiant Heart does not mean there is no alternative way for him, or even Ajantis to join the senior branch. I just didn't understand why people are confused at how Anomen is able to officially become a knight when the answer is right in front of us, I meant no insult at all.
    I see, it's fine. The ''tone'' used in your last message indeed sounded very rude and uncalled for. You need to keep in mind the fact that we're on the web. People may have good or bad intentions and be misinterpreted either way, it's really different from being face to face; we've got no way of telling how you'd say it, and we just stick to the way you write your posts. I've been misinterpreted as well, my ways of saying stuff taken as rude, when I wasn't trying to be it; that's why I use emoticons most of the times. When I'm serious, they're not there, naturally, but whenever there's a joke or anything of the sort, I use it, so there's no confusion regarding the extent of a joke, or a good intentioned word. There's some people who think using emoticons and such is silly, but I rather go with the idea that it helps you interpret intentions; might be silly after all, they're just a bunch of keybord characters sticking together, but they give you an idea, and ease things.
    As for what you said, well, I did think you added to the discussion. What you say makes sense, and maybe the Order is a lot more flexible than I thought it to be... That's a nice addition, I think :smile: And a nice change, given that most of the knights are pretty antique... xD

SionIV said:

SionIV said:

As an addition, Anomen does recognize him as a knight, when doing the Windspear Hills mission. He says something amongst the lines of ''That's Ajantis Ilvastarr, a knight of the Order. He's a noble, valiant and honorable young man.'' or... something like that xD Though I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure he said knight, so...