Skip to content

Help with creating custom spells with Near Infinity

NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
edited November 2015 in General Modding
Hi guys, just wondering if someone could help me out. I'm putting together a new kit and trying to create some new spells to add to its CLAB file (just starting off with something simple like adding a bonus to off-hand thac0). Is there a way to create a new spell from scratch with NI? Or do I have to edit another spell that is already in the game?

I've done similar things years ago using IEEP but it looks like it's no longer compatible with the EE's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Post edited by Noobacca on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    Easiest way would be to just make a copy of SPCL421 (its an spl file). So you can right click its name and then select export. Then give the new spell whatever file name you want to call it. In Near Infinity you can then go into "Game" -> "Open File" then open up your file. Then double click "Melee". At this point you should see a general Thac0 boost and an attack damage bonus. Double Click on the Thac0 boost. In this case off-hand thac0 bonus is 305 (you can find something like this by searching using the "Find" button). So instead of under "type" having 278 (Thac0 bonus) change that to 305 (select off-hand thac0 from the list then click "update value." Things won't always be this simple though, because different opcodes require different things. In this case though its a pretty straightforward switch.

The best advice I can pretty much give is to poke around and check out the games files. That will give you an idea of how things are organized.
    Noobacca
  • NoobaccaNoobacca Member Posts: 139
    @elminster, you are a true gentleman! Thanks for the quick reply. I'll go a head and modify that spell.

Also, is it possible to create a spell that adds an extra proficiency point to a kit? I haven't noticed any Opcodes that seem to suggest that I can..
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    233 is for modifying proficiencies. But that just sets them. Thats about as close as you are probably going to get (strictly from a proficiency standpoint anyways).
    Noobacca
    Again, thanks for the quick response!
    When editing spells, is it safe to assume the "unknown" fields in the attribute column (under the "power" field) are the Parameter #1 and #2 fields respectfully?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,428
    Yes, attribute names (and value types) for Param1 and Param2 can change depending on the selected opcode. You can enable the Offset column under Options->"Show Hex Offsets" to make sure. The offsets are always +4 for Param1 and +8 for Param2, relative to "Type".
    Noobacca
    Thanks for clarifying, @argent77! I'll check that out when I'm home this afternoon.
  • RahonaOstrimoRahonaOstrimo Member Posts: 40
    Hi, I have been using Near Infinity to alter some of the spell, oftne buffing the characters takes ages, and I want to reduce this by making some of the basic buff into AOE spell. Does anyone know where to set the Area of effect for a spell, I have looked at some examples like Defensive Harmony, but not found where in the file that the 10 feet is set. Thanks alot.