Skip to content

Mis-match between actual result and reported result of Open Locks in Entar Silvershield's house

Observed: most (all?) locked containers in Entar Silvershield's house become unlocked even when the Open Locks action declares a fail in the dialogue window. (This happens persistently in Entar Silvershield's house, but I haven't seen this fault in other locations.)

Expected: the Open Locks action should report success when the lock opens and failure when the lock doesn't open.

Note: I'm not sure whether it's the result which is incorrect (fail report was correct, lock should not have opened) or the report which is incorrect (lock opened correctly, fail report was spurious). But in any case, the result (lock either opens or doesn't) should match the on-screen report (success or failure).

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Just out of curiosity, you don't happen to have Skie in your party, do you?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    In general: no.

In this particular party, at the particular time this error was observed: yes. (Indeed, "of course yes", because from a completionist perspective, of course you combine going-to-Entar's-estate-to-collect-Skie with going-to-Entar's-estate-to-loot-it, it'd make no sense to do it any other way.)

Why? Is there some already-known error caused by having Skie in the party?
    No. If Skie is your thief and she tries to open anything locked in there, not only will the guards *not* be called but even if she fails her pick lock roll the locked container will open automatically. Somehow, the containers know that Entar's daughter is trying to rob them but they are okay with that since she is his daughter. The guards don't alert because, presumably, she has the authority to pilfer through things in her own house.

Check out the script for those containers, act03sk.bcs.
    Ah, that's interesting. Thanks, @Mathsorcerer.

Nevertheless, if the game is deliberately making an exception for Skie (and I agree that this is justifiable in her own home), then it also ought to report success (regardless of her roll) when the result of her action is in fact a success. Reporting that the action has failed, when actually it has succeeded (even if not by the usual method), is untrue and therefore still a bug.
    I cannot disagree with that assessment. The simple solution would be to edit that script so that if Skie is the actively chosen player and she clicks on the container then it doesn't bother remaining locked but opens itself without needing a lockpick check.

On a side note, I congratulate you on having Skie in your party. In all these years I have *never* had her in any of my parties.

On a side note, I congratulate you on having Skie in your party. In all these years I have *never* had her in any of my parties.

I rarely find a use for her as one of my permanent party, but as a completionist, I always collect *every* NPC in *every* run ... although most of them, of course, are with me only very briefly (just long enough to take them to the FAI and park them there) unless they first have a personal quest to complete.

But this is a bug report thread, so we're getting off-topic!