Skip to content

dual classing level cap

happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
something thats been on my mind. i start as a thief, dual class to mage. lets say i make it to level 7 as a thief, then dual class back to level one of mage. does this mean i can level a mage ALL the way from 0 exp to whatever the new cap is, or does the exp i have in thief still count. this sounds confusing after reading it but i hope i explained it well enough. sorry but i dont know how else to explain. just looking for an answer. oh god im rambling........

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    The XP as a mage is zero. Once you reach level 7 as a mage, you can start using thiefy items again. I think that you can use the abilities the whole time. So, you'll be weak for a while, but not too long because from LVL 7-8 as a thief is 30,000 XP, which will put you level 5 mage (not too shabby, as fireballs appear about here).

Hope this answers the question as a start, at least.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    It's cumulative. The experience you have attained as Thief *does* count towards your total.

In this particular instance you get to 40,000 EXP (Level 7) Thief, Dual-Class. From here, you can get 90,000 EXP as Mage to get to Level 8, and you'll get your Thieving abilities back. The Mage would then cap out at 121,000 EXP, which is not enough to get to Level 9. So you'd be a Level 7 Thief Level 8 Mage and you'd be done.

Hope that helps!

The XP as a mage is zero. Once you reach level 7 as a mage, you can start using thiefy items again. I think that you can use the abilities the whole time. So, you'll be weak for a while, but not too long because from LVL 7-8 as a thief is 30,000 XP, which will put you level 5 mage (not too shabby, as fireballs appear about here).

Hope this answers the question as a start, at least.

Correction: Once you reach level *8* as mage (1 level above the first class), you can start using Thiefy items again. And no, you lose your Thieving abilities until then. Yeah Level 8 Thief is 70,000 EXP total so you'd be able to get your Mage to Level 8 *just barely* with 90,000, and then cap out at 91,000.
  • happslapphappslapp Member Posts: 53
    a little, rethinking i think i was wondering if you can gain extra levels this way.
    hypothetical lets say the level cap is 200000
    you level your thief to lets say 40000
    dual class to mage at 0
    now can you level mage to 200000 or only 160000 (200000-40000)
    thank you by the way @reedmilfam
    You can get >40 levels this way, yes. Usually the thief lets you do that due to low cost of levles. :)
    edited September 2012
    @happslapp You can level mage to only 160000.

And yes, as reedmilfam says you can have a lot of levels that way. In BG2:ToB you can get above 40, and of course for BG1 you can get above 10. (Max for Thieves, Druids, Bards.)

(Also on a side note, you may know this or you may not, the level cap with ToTSC installed is 161,000.)
    thanks everyone. prop dual class sooner then later. mainly want to be able to use thief weapons with a high level mage. not to concerned with thief skills cause someone else can do that
    also im pretty sure but not 100% humans are the only ones that can dual class right?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Yes.. this has been mentioned in several threads I believe.
    Yeah, it's a matter of taste. You can maximize just how powerful you are by playing the levels super strategically, but then you might have a fairly weak character for a very long time.

Personally I would advise Dual-Classing when you hit Level 6 Thief. This way you can get your Mage up to Level 9, which is of course awesome because you get Level 5 Mage Spells. I do believe this is the best route for you as you "mainly want to be able to use thief weapons with a high level mage."

And yeah, Dual-Classing is restricted to Humans.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    It all really depends on what they make the new cap as well, if you're thinking about dualclassing in EE you might want to wait until you find out for certain what it is! As it stands as @Quartz just said a level 6 thief dualed to mage could make it to level 9 mage in ToTSC but if the new cap is say 300000 XP then you could be a level 7 thief and a level 10 mage. If you were to run by the old ToTSC cap and build your dual from that you'd be needlessly depriving yourself of a thief level & still reaching level 10 in mage.

Ah dualclassing, the nose bleeds are natural.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Wait ... so does anyone know of the new level cap?
    I can't imagine it being much higher than what it already is.
    I would think it's about the same, possibly a little higher. As far as I've been able to see, the soft cap for a full-party playthrough is somewhere around 250k if you do all quests, clear all zones and don't do any extraordinary amount of spawn farming. The ToBEx fix that disables 110% exp from enemies alters this a bit.
    No specifics yet. I think somebody did some checking and found that, essentially, with no cap at all, it adds 1 level to the end character, maybe 2 for the rogue/bard types.
    That sounds about right, unless you play with less than a full party.