Skip to content

The Assassin's Guild Rogue's Gallery (*Spoilers*)

It has been my experience in playing Baldur's Gate so many times over the years that every so often I will seek a different challenge. Ordinarily, I like to play-through with some type of spell caster or a character designed specifically for working with a particular set of NPCs, but the time eventually came when, bored with everything else I decided to play something I hadn't played before, that being the "ASSASSIN."

At first glance I always thought the Assassin was a type of character I just didn't want to play. The 15 thief skill points per level were just too low for me to consider playing, but as a challenge, to try and find a way to make an effective MainChar assassin, who needs to utilize every item available to enhance his abilities and make for an enjoyable game, now there was challenge that just might be fun.

And so I made an Assassin character and went on a deadly solo mission to avenge the murder of my character's stepfather. It was challenging and more importantly, it was fun. It wasn't my favorite character, or my favorite game, but it was very memorable and a lot of fun. I have also noticed many people on this forum in various threads, on many different subjects, referencing their "Assassin" play-throughs, so I know I'm not alone in enjoying my "Assassin."

I also like hearing about other people's exploits and experiences with this game and thought it would be neat if we had a single thread where we could post snapshots of our Assassins and brief descriptions of their games.

How did you build your Assassin?
Was the Assassin Solo or the leader of a team?
What was your most memorable encounter?
What was your Assassin's Strength?
What was your Assassin's Weakness?
Describe your Assassin (How you imagine their personality, physical description, goals, why are they an Assassin in the first place?)
What did you enjoy about playing your Assassin?

*Snapshots and Images would be really cool for this thread!*

Comments

• cbarchukcbarchuk Member Posts: 322
    edited December 2015
    I don't have any screen shots but I've played an assassin several times and actually find it to be one of my favorite classes. It really comes down to the poison ability which I find to be extremely powerful in all 3 games. I usually roll with an elven assassin since they get some decent bonuses to thief abilities, a 19 dex, as well as a +1 THACO bonus with long, short swords, and bows which is heavily needed with a single class thief. To me THACO and APR are always a thief's biggest drawback. So they have to be used methodically and tactically.

Main weapons:

Tugian Bow - Main weapon I used throughout the whole series.
    Gesen Bow - End game weapon only used when you can't hit the target with Tugian.
    Crimson Dart - Another great one that gives you 3 APR.

Any short or long sword you prefer for the occasional backstab. I know staves are the best backstabbing weapons but they make no sense to me thematically.

Overall I found my assassin to be lethal in BG, very effective in BG2 but starts to lose its usefulness in ToB when every monster is immune to everything. Quite stupid actually. All my playthroughs was with a party and I found the class to play the support role well often taking a lead role in fights too. The 15 skills points a level isn't really a huge deal. You end up with plenty anyways. Besides I usually had Jan take care of most of the locks and traps.

So I would say they're a great single class thief to play that can do well in solo or in a party but you will have your work cut out for you if solo especially in ToB. Though they do hit X7 backstab, I think focusing on ranged combat w/poison is the way to go. They're also great for roleplay especially if you want an evil character.

Here's various names I've used for my assassins...

Halfing Assassin - Viggo Blackbriar
    Elf Assassin - Valen Dreth
    Half-Orc Assassin - Grimslade
    Human Assassin - Artemis Entreri (One of my favorite characters)
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    @Skarose ,which portrait mod are you using ?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    cbarchuk said:

I Though they do hit X7 backstab, I think focusing on ranged combat w/poison is the way to go.

^ This. I've completed the saga with an Assassin (party, not solo), and I found the enhanced backstab a comparatively minor benefit. The real strength of the Assassin kit is using the Poison Weapon ability with ranged weapons.