Skip to content

Journal Hounds - Rare or Cool Entries?

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I'm a journal hound when I play BG, meaning I'll go out of my way to get every possible entry in my journal. Call it my inner-detective crying out, lol. I do this in IWD too, but the entries available in comparison with BG are pretty lacking...

Just wondering if anyone else has done similar and if you've found any entries that you wouldn't find on a casual play-through that are pretty cool.

One of my favorites is when you charm the Flaming Fist mercenary that is trying to kill Viconia in BG1. He actually tells you about her killing a farmer and his family and how the fist has been hunting for her.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Charming centeol give interesting plot exposition on jon icarus and his attraction to a certain (probably not at the time) vampire in bg2
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    ajwz said:

Charming centeol give interesting plot exposition on jon icarus and his attraction to a certain (probably not at the time) vampire in bg2

so jon was craving on his sister, or who?

or just a story point that got changed from lover to sister?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited September 2012

One of my favorites is when you charm the Flaming Fist mercenary that is trying to kill Viconia in BG1. He actually tells you about her killing a farmer and his family and how the fist has been hunting for her.

This is pretty awesome, I didn't know that, and there certainly aren't many parts of this game that I haven't seen. That farmer family is likely the one she tells you about in BG2. Anyway, haven't found many off-the-beaten path journal entries myself. The most uncommon I can think of are likely Volo's rumours, which aren't very uncommon.

Charming-wise, probably Entar Silvershield and the woman in Beregost (iirc) who wants to run away with you and gives you a ring to remember her by.

Oh yeah, another cool one is talking to Lusselyn in the Splurging Sturgeon a few times until he tells you there are slimes on the top floor they use to artificially age their beverages. If you accept his bet to go up and kill the slimes, you'll get a very drunken journal entry out of it.

@Bjjorick No, Irenicus was, according to Centeol, married to a woman named Tanova. And Tanova is also the name of a vampire you can encounter at night in Athkatla, so there's a loose connection there and the possibility that Jon managed to bring his wife back from death. Of course, that plot is pretty much dropped by then in favour of other things.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    You can actually charm a few Flaming Fist mercenaries in the game, the one down south on the road to Nashkel tells you that the Fist is losing their ability to control the region because of the iron shortage... also another cool charm (though it doesn't give you an entry in your journal) is Nimbul who tries to kill you in Nashkel after you complete the mines. "I'm supposed to kill you - but I love you!" lol. Gets me every time.