Skip to content

gesen bow(no ammo) and archer damage bonus question.

Gesen bow has 0d6 arrow + 2 piecing + 1d8 electrical damage. (No ammo equipped)

If archer bonus only affect 'arrow' damage, i think archer can't get kit bonus damage from gesen bow(no ammo).

For example, there is lvl12 archer.
1. (If bonus work) 0d6 arrow +2 piecing +1d8 electrical + ''4 kit bonus damage''.
2. (If bonus doesn't work) 0d6 arrow +2 piecing +1d8 electrical.

Which is right? 1 or 2 ?
Please answer to me. Thanks :)

Comments

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    1 is right, and that would work with any weapon that has no "roll-dice damage", which includes Fire Seeds (level 6 druid spell) for example.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    I see no indication that Archer bonuses would only apply to "arrow" damage; they do in fact work with every sort of ranged weapon, including, iirc, those created by spells.
  • legotaksinlegotaksin Member Posts: 65
    Ok thanks for your answers. :blush:
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    so I actually took the liberty to test it out, and you are correct, you DO NOT get your archer damage bonus with the short bow of gesen, it is applied to the arrow, but not to worry, strong arm +2 is the best longbow in the game ( since it gives a +3 to damage) and when ToB hits the quiver of plenty is pretty early in the game and +2 arrows are good enough for a good 95% of the baddies you are going to fight against anyhow, the only thing that applies to gesen's damage is your proficiencies with short bow, the level 16 archer had 5 points in short bow and while using the gesen bow he did 7-7 damage with no arrows, but when I equipped the +2 arrows you start with in ToB it went up to 13-18 damage, and then I cranked up his XP to 8 million, and 7-7 damage with the bow by itself, and 17-22 damage with the arrows +2, so in short, if you are going to want your awesome ranger damage with a short bow, I would suggest tuigan bow+1 because it gives +1 to damage and it gives another attack per round, and then if you plan on going the longbow route I would suggest strong arm ( you need at least 19 strength to use it, and ribald sells it) because its the only longbow that does +3 to damage, the rest are either +0, +1, or +2 ( and you definitely won't need a to hit bonus, even with a normal bow your thac0 will probably hit around -20 anyways )
    sarevok57 said:

so I actually took the liberty to test it out, and you are correct, you DO NOT get your archer damage bonus with the short bow of gesen, it is applied to the arrow, but not to worry, strong arm +2 is the best longbow in the game ( since it gives a +3 to damage) and when ToB hits the quiver of plenty is pretty early in the game and +2 arrows are good enough for a good 95% of the baddies you are going to fight against anyhow, the only thing that applies to gesen's damage is your proficiencies with short bow, the level 16 archer had 5 points in short bow and while using the gesen bow he did 7-7 damage with no arrows, but when I equipped the +2 arrows you start with in ToB it went up to 13-18 damage, and then I cranked up his XP to 8 million, and 7-7 damage with the bow by itself, and 17-22 damage with the arrows +2, so in short, if you are going to want your awesome ranger damage with a short bow, I would suggest tuigan bow+1 because it gives +1 to damage and it gives another attack per round, and then if you plan on going the longbow route I would suggest strong arm ( you need at least 19 strength to use it, and ribald sells it) because its the only longbow that does +3 to damage, the rest are either +0, +1, or +2 ( and you definitely won't need a to hit bonus, even with a normal bow your thac0 will probably hit around -20 anyways )

Actually I just doublechecked that and you DO have the archer bonus damage, and it is written in the "damage" box (the one that lists your bonuses) in your inventory, but not in the circular thing where it's written how much damage you deal after calculation.
    @Arunsun you would be correct on that one, very peculiar bug indeed, and I tested it out by summoning ogres, and even though it says 7 damage I was doing 12 to them, good stuff
    edited December 2015
    sarevok57 said:

Really? I don't know who is right..
    If there is no bonus damage from gesen bow(no ammo), i have to choice crossbow.
    Longbow is not my option because longbow can't hit enemy (needed +4 enchant).
    Only gesen and firetooth hit enemy (needed +4 enchant).

If archer can't get bonus damage from gesen, gesenbow is not good in TOB because of low damage... maybe only firetooth is good bow in TOB..

I hope that beamdog developers make +3, +4 arrows for archer kit.
    Just did a quick test, and on my setup at least Gesen *DOES* get the Archer damage bonus. That's with fairly heavy modding, but hopefully it doesn't affect the result.

Just did a quick test, and on my setup at least Gesen *DOES* get the Archer damage bonus. That's with fairly heavy modding, but hopefully it doesn't affect the result.

Do You test with "no ammo equipped" gesen bow? Sorry for ask again.. but it is important to me.

Do You test with "no ammo equipped" gesen bow? Sorry for ask again.. but it is important to me.
    I tested it with no ammo on a totally unmodded game, and though it read "7-7" in the damage bubble, on the list of damage modifiers next to it I had:
    Gesen Bow 0d6+2
    Grand mastery:+5
    Ability bonus (i.e. archer bonus): +8

Only the two first were taken into account in the damage bubble, but when I actually shot something it always dealt 15 physical damage, and thus it did take the archer bonus into account.

edited December 2015

Yes, obviously. Tested on Archer vs. non-Archer, and definitely did more damage on the Archer by the expected amount.

Yes, obviously. Tested on Archer vs. non-Archer, and definitely did more damage on the Archer by the expected amount.
    Okay! Really good! Now I can start game with my shortbow archer. thanks :)

sarevok57 said:

Really? I don't know who is right..
    If there is no bonus damage from gesen bow(no ammo), i have to choice crossbow.
    Longbow is not my option because longbow can't hit enemy (needed +4 enchant).
    Only gesen and firetooth hit enemy (needed +4 enchant).

If archer can't get bonus damage from gesen, gesenbow is not good in TOB because of low damage... maybe only firetooth is good bow in TOB..

I hope that beamdog developers make +3, +4 arrows for archer kit.
    there actually is +4 arrows if you REALLY want them in ToB, but you have to do some cheating to get them, the console command to summon them in game is: OHAROW50

and if you want to bring in more than 1 at a time, you would have to do something like this:

CLUAConsole:CreateItem("oharow50",50)

that will bring in 50 arrows +4 if you want more change that 50 after the comma, if you want less, same thing ( for future reference the most you can have is 65355 and if you go over that number it will start back at one again, so If you type in 65356 you will actually get 1)

-that stack command also works for potions and gems ( and maybe wand charges? don't remember) as well incase you want higher stacks of other stuff-
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    sarevok57 said:

there actually is +4 arrows if you REALLY want them in ToB, but you have to do some cheating to get them

For the benefit of whoever might not be aware, the reason these exist in the game files is that they're actually available to buy in Black Pits 2. But indeed, as @sarevok57 says, it's obviously a cheat to force-import them into BG2ee.