Skip to content

Who will support bg3 via kickstarter?

xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
I just found some very interesting details regarding bg3 and it's long-term progression by gamespot and it it announces that Overhaul will do bg enhanced editions for 1 and 2 and then release bg3. As for funding, they plan to use kickstarter as they're funding project and for those of you who don't know what kickstarter is it is a website where fans can go to donate money to their game that they want to see progress out there on the open field. Who will support bg3 when Overhaul gets ready to startup on it?!

I sure as hell will!! :)

Here is the webpage for it: http://www.gamespot.com/news/baldurs-gate-iii-a-long-term-goal-overhaul-dev-6366863
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• SmaugSmaug Member Posts: 216
    edited September 2012
    Oh thanks for explaining Kickstarter, I've been living on the moon and I thought you meant Overhaul was going to sell spare parts for motorcycles in order to fund their projects.

I kid, I kid. I will definitely throw in w/e my finances can bear for BG3. I would be totally psyched for some hard-copy artwork as a reward for X donation level.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    I would only donate if I had details on how the is going to be designed. I don't want to donate to a game that will resemble anything close to any RPG released in the last 10 years. Especially if it is going to have the Baldur's Gate name attached to it. Show me that it will be influenced by its predecessors, and I'll donate.
  • eksterekster Member Posts: 234
    I'd have to see what BGEE and BG2EE will be like first.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    My support will be contingent upon what they have planned, actually. I'm not going to blindly throw my money at something just because it's called Baldur's Gate. I learned that the hard way when I bought Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. ;)

"Baldur's Gate 3 will be a re-imagining of it's predecessors, utilizing the 4th Edition ruleset..." will equal no financial backing from me. It needs to be keep it's gameplay and style. Some things just don't need changing.
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    Better if Baldurs Gate 3 never needs a kickstarter. That will probably be true too when wasteland 2 sells like hotcakes among the old interplay faithful and new fans. Perhaps then publishers will realize that isometric party based games can sell. If that doesn't happen I will cry big salty tears, big very very very salty tears of regret and mourning.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    I don't think you can gather enough money with Kickstarter for something like BGIII; funded by the people or not, Icewind Dale may have better chances for a new game.
  • ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    @Zafiro Hey guy, screw you!

Just kiddin. After seeing BG:EE if the new added content looks good, I'd be willing to put down some cash.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @xlegionx
    Well, i think that gamespot article was based off of old info we have on the board, when trent and others said that they agree with kickstarter, but decided not to go that route. They were talking about KS for bg:ee to see how much intrest was in the game. They'll leave it open as an option, but anyways.

As far as donating, it depends on what they do with the game. If i don't like how BG:EE comes out but everyone else loves it, i may or maynot get BG2:EE. If i do still get it and don't like either of them very much, or i feel like it doesn't really matter if i have the old version or the EE version, i probably won't be buying 3 until i see some reviews.

If i like them both and i love what they do to them, then of course i'll donate and so will others. But it's still just too early to tell.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd easily support BG3 if I got the impression that capable people were handling it and if it would seem to deliver what I want it to be, i.e. a continuation of the character you are in BG1 and BG2 and with supported savegame import from those games. I'd pay a lot just for that kind of potential. A reimagined setting 100 years in the future with all different characters I would not support, and likely not even buy.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I'd support BG3 if the conditions were almost exactly opposite of @Shin's conditions. I want the team to seem competent, obviously, but if it has any relation to the previous games, it's going to be a cash-in that I want no part in. I want it to be a fresh experience, with an all new story on the Sword Coast and in Faerun.
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2012
    I'd probably support it willingly and almost blindingly if the ruleset was the Ad&d one - the same of BG 1 and BG 2. If they used a different D&D ruleset, especially the 4th or 5th edition's, I'd wait until it's out and to read some reviews first.

Same with pre-order or other means of crowdfunding.

For what is out about BG:EE, it seems these people know their job, and I like their philosophy regarding mods and original content.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I'd definitely support a BG3 kickstarter by Beamdog/Overhaul Games.
  • The_MageThe_Mage Member Posts: 19
    I would like to see a continuation of this series, but I am afraid they will resort to using the latest version of the D&D rules, as (if I a correct) Wizards of the Coast still owns all that material and dish it out to other parties as its sees fit.
    In any case, they would only be appealing to us, the folks who played BG and BG2 and are looking for a similar, nostalgic experience. This kind of rules out big-time developers who do have a lot of money to invest in a project such as this (which is both a good and a bad thing).
    Nevertheless, I would like to see another game set on the Sword Coast/ Faerun, but with a complete new story, as suggested above, since the Bhaalspawn saga was a completed work, in my regard.