Skip to content

Which Class Benefits the Most from a Constitution Bonus?

I recently acquired a magical tome that can raise one of my characters' Constitutions by 1. I am considering giving it either to my Paladin (Con. 16), Ranger (Con. 16) or Fighter/Druid (Con.17). I'm tempted to give it to my Fighter/Druid because it would give her the best bonuses, but I'm unsure. Ideas?

Comments

• CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    Personally, I would give it to the paladin or ranger, but I always do it like that, bringing the lower scores up closer to the higher ones. I rarely make higher scores higher, but that's just my personal preference. If you want to give it to the fighter/druid, do it and don't feel bad about doing so :smile:
    JuliusBorisov
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    Rangers, particularly ones focused on melee combat, stand the most to benefit from a higher constitution score.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I would highly suggest giving all the tomes to your main guy, as @Gallowglass said, npcs in bg2 will not have your tome upgrade on them, so you might as well give it to your main guy
    Gotural
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2015
    Only fighting classes gain benefit from con scores higher than 16.
    16 con gives +2 hp per level for all classes
    17 con gives +3 hp per level only for paladins, rangers, and fighters.
    18 con gives +4 hp per level again only for paladins, rangers and fighters.
    Thus, on your paladin and ranger the tome will be equally useful.
    However, if you give it to f/d it will only be half as useful. It will give her fighter levels a boost of +1 hp/lvl but then it will be cut in half as multi class characters gain half hp for their levels. And druidlvls do not get a hp boost if you up the con from 17 to 18.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Fighter/Druid? That is a strange way to call my loved one Jaheira :heart:
    lunar
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    @lunar Multiclasses character part Fighter gain the full benefit from Constitution.

A level 13/13 Fighter/Druid with 17 Constitution has 118 HP (max rolls) and 127 with 18 Constitution (+9).
    lunarGallowglassJuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Gotural said:

@lunar Multiclasses character part Fighter gain the full benefit from Constitution.

A level 13/13 Fighter/Druid with 17 Constitution has 118 HP (max rolls) and 127 with 18 Constitution (+9).

Huhh. Okay, then. A fighter/druid would benefit more as her druid levels drag her hp down a tiny bit compared to a full fighter.
    Gotural
  • xPersonOfChaosxxPersonOfChaosx Member Posts: 21

Always a point to bear in mind when using the stat-raising tomes is that, if you intend to take the protagonist on into BG2, then the protagonist's stats (including any improvement from tomes) will carry over into BG2, whereas NPCs will not carry over any stat improvements from tomes into BG2. It's therefore usually better (for a full-saga run) to give all the tomes to the protagonist alone.

How this might (or might not) be affected by the forthcoming release of SoD is not yet clear.

I do plan to use my protagonist (the Ranger) throughout the whole saga, so I think you're probably right :smile: I have been neglecting her a bit lately, so I'd best give the bonus to her!
    Gallowglass
  • MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
    I always give all the tomes to my main character - although I know some people will use EEKeeper to carry over the stat-boosts on their NPCs. I'll even take the tomes that aren't of any use to me like the wisdom ones...just because I like my stats to be godlike :P
    GallowglassxPersonOfChaosxGotural