Skip to content

A sorcerer and a mage, what gear for each

I'm planning a party with Imoen and charname being a sorcerer. I want to get Imoen back as soon as I can so her level isn't lagging too much. What I'm wondering is how one would equip each of them considering there is only so much "best" mage gear to go around. So, who gets the robe of vecna, staff of the magi, etc. How would you suit up both of these characters?

Comments

• CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    I always give the robe of vecna and staff of the magi to the same person. Usually Aerie, in my case. I do it like this because I'd rather have one very powerfully equipped character than two or three weaker ones. However, come TOB, I give the circlet of netheril to someone else mostly because I have Aerie wearing a helmet, but also it does help balance things out a little. It really depends on if you want balanced characters or one character who is going to be more powerful.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    edited December 2015
    That is my question, between Imoen and charname being a sorcerer, how should each of them be geared up? It's easy when you only have one mage...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Robe of vecna should go to your sorc. He would have many more spells to cast. Imoen can equip an elven chain.
    Amulet of power should go to your sorc as well, it combines well with the robe for maximised spell casting fury under improved alacrity.
    Staff of magi can be passed between two characters even in the thick of combat, if need be.
    Imoen can benefit more from the Circlet of Netheril, as she has very limited spell slots.
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    Personally, I would give Imoen the robe and circlet and keep the staff for myself, but that's just how I would personally do it with these characters. Imoen gets the robe, which speeds up her casting time significantly, and I'd give her the circlet, since mages get less spells than sorcerers, and you get the staff (which means you don't have to waste a spell on spell trap). I'd also recommend giving yourself the amulet of power, so you can at least speed up your own casting time a little, if slightly. That's just how I would do it, though. There's a few combinations that could work here and I'm sure people will disagree with mine.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    This sort of question always depends somewhat upon your playing-style and who else is in the party (e.g. is Imoen your sole Thief?) and sundry situational factors. Nevertheless, I'll offer a general guess:-

I'd give the Robe of Vecna to the Sorcerer, and have Imoen wearing the Aslyferund Elven Chain +5 (with the Robe of the Good Archmagi and the Robe of Invocation carried in reserve for situational use).

I'd have the Sorcerer carry the Staff of the Magi most of the time (but might lend it to Imoen when appropriate). I'd have Imoen equipped with Dak'kon's Zerth Blade by default (for extra spells used in pre-combat buffing), but once combat starts I'd switch her to Shortbow when she's not casting (or a melee weapon if appropriate, or the Staff of the Ram +6 if she were attempting a backstab).

I'd give the Amulet of Power to the Sorcerer and the Amulet of the Master Harper to Imoen (with the Amulet of Metaspell Influence in reserve).

The extra-spell jewelry (Ring of Acuity, Ring of Reaching, and Circlet of Netheril) would probably all go to Imoen most of the time (in order to be able to have a greater variety of useful spells memorised), but I might switch some or all of them to the Sorcerer if I expected the next battle would be one which would require heavy use of spells which the Sorcerer knew. I'd give an appropriate Ioun Stone to whichever wasn't wearing the Circlet of Netheril (or the Thieves Hood to Imoen if playing Evil).
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Casting time boosts to Charname... Getting disrupted during an emergency defensive spell might mean game over... Imoen can be raised.

Extra spell slots to Imoen. The advantage of Mage over Sorcerer is versatility. If a Sorcerer's 6 casts per level aren't enough, one more probably won't help.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    for me, I give all of the sweet gear to my sorcerer, to be honest when it comes to spell casting, sorcerers do it best, especially if you are into the time stop, improve alacrity thing and emptying your spell book on enemies you will want your sorcerer to wear the rings and circlets that give him the extra spells, imoen is a great secondary caster for all the spells your sorcerer is not going to get, she is great to have all the party defensive spells and the odd offensive spell like: magic missile, melf's acid arrow, fireball/lightning bolt, hold monster, chain lightning, finder of death, and abi-dalzims horrid wilthing but no matter what mage gear you give her, your sorcerer will always do it better, so might as well deck him out as much as possible, so for imoen, I would just give her all the "thief" type gear ( as long as the gear she wears doesn't prohibit spell casting, the Aslyferund Elven Chain +5 is probably the best for her) and for all the sweet killer mage gear ( robe of vecna, amulet of power, rings/circlet of spell storing, staff of the magi) I would just give it all to your sorcerer, imoen has a little bit of versatility with her thief abilities, so if she isn't spell casting she can do thief things, but your guy, is made for one reason: spell casting and more spell casting, so you might as well deck that out as much as possible, because after your spells are gone, you are basically going to be throwing pebbles at your enemies
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I would give everything to the Sorcerer, I prefer to have one very powerful character rather than a few average ones.
    Especially the extra spell slots, if you give them to Imoen you will need to choose the extra spells while if you give them to your Sorcerer, you have 4-5 more choices depending on your level.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited December 2015
    Since it will be Imoen and a sorcerer, I'd go for
    Vecna and Staff of the Magi for the Sorcerer
    Circlet of Netheril and amulet of power for Imoen (and elven chain as an armor), and if you choose to make it, staff of power is quite good

You want at least 1 cast time reduction on each so that you don't get disrupted when you cast stoneskin or other combat buffs.

As a sorcerer you already get a huge bunch of spells, and the extra ones are rarely very useful, with Imoen however you get fewer of them, hence the necessity of the circlet. The Vecna/Staff of the Magi combo is great since you can cast quickly and go invisible once again.