Skip to content

Limited number of spell scrolls

Hello, I wanted to learn Protection From Petrification spell by buying a scroll in High Hedge but there were only two and my character failed to learn from both of them. Now there are no more scrolls left, how do I get that spell?

Thanks

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Use the console to enter C:CreateItem("scrl73"); to get another copy of the scroll. If you don't want to cheat it in then go find The Great Gazib at the Nashkel Circus. He has a copy...but you would have to take it from him. Diana and Lasala also both carry copies but you will have to look around until you find them. Sorcerous Sundries carries copies, presuming you can get into Baldur's Gate city.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Sorcerous Sundries in the city has 2 more.

You can get two as loot from fights:

Spider woods
    On the wilderness map East of Larswood, one of the Thayan wizards has one.

Cloakwood
    Davaeorn in the Cloakwood mines has one

And there's one in a container on the 4th floor of the Iron Throne building.
  • deniz1adeniz1a Member Posts: 7
    Ok thanks. I just reloaded from an earlier save and tried to write magic again and this time it worked. Why is the number of scrolls limited? Aren't they all identical? Or there should be a way to produce more scrolls...
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    deniz1a said:

Ok thanks. I just reloaded from an earlier save and tried to write magic again and this time it worked. Why is the number of scrolls limited? Aren't they all identical? Or there should be a way to produce more scrolls...

That's pretty much how everybody deals with scribing scrolls. It's a pointlessly annoying mechanic that has the potential to really screw you over if it happens with a very important scroll.

For future reference, you get a 100% chance to learn all spells at the lowest difficulty setting, so you can just lower it temporarily when scribing to avoid the situation. Personally, I modded out that mechanic and never looked back. Some may call it cheating, but I have found no redeeming gameplay value for this mechanic in my experience. Plus, you can completely negate it legitimately just by chugging a potion that has literally no other purpose.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

For future reference, you get a 100% chance to learn all spells at the lowest difficulty setting, so you can just lower it temporarily when scribing to avoid the situation.

For the avoidance of confusion, it may be worth pointing out that actually this is true for the lowest two difficulty settings, not just the very lowest.

Plus, you can completely negate it legitimately just by chugging a potion that has literally no other purpose.

Well, it's an exaggeration to say there's "no" other purpose. It also boosts Lore, if for some reason you're struggling to identify items ... but I agree that this is usually not needed.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Also known as you're supposed to just accept you aren't getting that spell and adapt with what you do have.

There're are hundreds of spells in this game and yet only about 2-3 per level actually get used.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    It's part of the original mechanic to balance Wizards. Obviously at high levels Wizards have the potential to be devastating but if spells are hard to acquire and hard to learn, there is a limiting factor. Memorization is also supposed to be a balance. Did you memorize the right spell for this circumstance? Of course, adding sorcerors was a giant mistake that undermined any real balance because none of what improved the other classes was added when they added sorcerors.
  • FeytorFeytor Member Posts: 57
    Sometimes i'm to lazy to go through the menus and q-save every 3 spells.
    But I normally lower the difficulty of the game before leveling or learning spells.
    If the next fight is surprisingly easy I check my settings again....... :smile: