Skip to content

I hope we can influence our party members this time

solidbonessolidbones Member Posts: 11
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
maybe it's asking for a lot, but I really liked it in some RPGs (like KOTLR2 or Keldorn in BG2) you can influence your party members and turn them good/evil. It would be awesome to see an Evil Aerie or Krogan with compassion (maybe just a tiny amount). what do you guys think?

Comments

• KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    That, while nice, will not happen as it would change current content in a radical way.
    What I'd like is, if Charname has high charisma, to persuade through dialogue the party NPCs not to fight each other, but I'm not expecting this to be implemented either.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited September 2012
    It was a spectacular mechanism in KOTOR 2, but I think the D&D alignment system is a bit too rigid for that - Anomen, Viconia and Sarevok actually change in that way, but only in very specific circumstances.

Besides, KOTOR 2 had a truly brilliant in-game justification for how you were able to influence your party members in that way. Not entirely sure it'd translate as well to the BG-verse. :)
  • solidbonessolidbones Member Posts: 11
    yeah I just thought it would be awesome, I know that it would probably be too hard to implement. but I agree with what Koson said that it would be great if we can let NPCs not try to kill each other with enough charisma. I hate it when they turn purple. But this mechanism has made me want to try different characters so I can have a different party every time I played through the game, it really prolonged the original BG and BG2 for me.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Koson said:

That, while nice, will not happen as it would change current content in a radical way.
    What I'd like is, if Charname has high charisma, to persuade through dialogue the party NPCs not to fight each other, but I'm not expecting this to be implemented either.

I believe Charisma can influence the speed at which those conflicts happen, or prevent them entirely in particularly high cases.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Doesn't charisma have a delaying effect on intra-party conflicts, though? I remember reading somewhere that some fights, like Kivan/Viconia or Kagain/Yeslick, are less likely to happen if your CHA/NPC Reaction is high enough...
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Yea, but I meant that once the fight dialogue happens, before they start fighting, your PC could get a line in and make them drop the fight for the time being.
    @shawne As far as I remember, even though Kivan's dialogues with Viconia were quite aggressive, they never came to blows, in my games at least. Ajantis was a different matter though.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I believe it is whoever's leading the group (the person whose portrait is at the top) whose charisma matters, so it's not automatically CHARNAME.