Skip to content

What is your party of choice?

XantarrXantarr Member Posts: 16
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Okay, I know it's been done and done, but I can't get enough. What is your party of choice for BG1 (and/or BG:EE)? And why? And anything else you think might be relevant.

Here's mine for BG:EE, where I list the character and their weapon combos (Melee, ranged, style):

---

Me: (Half-Elf Bard, Chaotic Good - have to gatekeeper this alignment for bard, otherwise Chaotic Neutral), longsword, throwing knives, single-weapon style

Kagain: axe, throwing axes, dual-weapon style (2 axes)

Minsc: two-handed sword, composite long bow, two-handed style

Viconia: mace/flail/hammer and shield, sling for ranged, sword and shield style

Imoen: dagger/short sword, light crossbow, single-weapon style (but primarily staying in ranged combat)

Dynaheir: staff, darts, no style as a mage (but 2-handed if it's possible... I don't think it is, though).

---

The reasoning for my party choice is that I hope to maximize the amount of diversity in weapon types, races, genders, and character types. I see 6 stats in the game and 6 party slots, and I try to make use of those. Each of my party members I think of as being specialized in a single stat, where they not only have the highest score of that stat (if possible) but also kind of "represent" that stat, personality and character-type wise.

My Bard represents "Charisma." Kagain represents "Constitution." Minsc is "Strength," Viconia is "Wisdom," Imoen is "Dexterity," and Dynaheir is "Intelligence."

I have every weapon style represented, two arcane spellcasters (one main, one backup), one cleric/paladin spellcaster, and one druid/ranger spellcaster. I have a good range of armor types represented (plate, chain, leather, robes). 3 guys, 3 girls, a dwarf, elf, half-elf, humans... The only thing I'm really lacking are neutral characters, and obviously gnome/halfling/half-orc (can't be perfect). Of course I don't want to split up Minsc and Dynaheir, or drop Imoen since she's my pal. But there you have it.

---

TL;DR: What's your BG:EE party gonna be?

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I know what you mean, I never get tired of going over possible combinations. :)

For the EE, my party actually depends entirely on a seemingly-unrelated factor: which of the new NPCs is available for a same-sex romance.

At first, I was planning on using my original team plus two of the NPCs (Jaheira, Dorn, Imoen, Viconia, Neera). That way, my evil sorceress PC could finally have a decent romance storyline that didn't involve Anomen (because after one exchange with him, I sent the rest of my party to the Copper Coronet, took Anomen out to an empty field, cast Protection From Evil on myself and fed him to a Cacodemon).

But I can honestly say I've never heard of a fantasy story featuring an evil gay half-orc blackguard, and I'd be curious to see how that would play out. So if Dorn's the bisexual NPC, I'll redesign my character as a male fighter and bring in Edwin as the second mage.
  • XantarrXantarr Member Posts: 16
    @shawne Somehow I have the feeling Neera is going to be the bisexual romance. She's semi-androgynous (in a good-looking sort of way), and of course there's the whole "wild" aspect which seems to be often associated with bisexual characters, for better or for worse. For myself I was considering dropping Dynaheir for her as a romance, or else I'll just romance Viconia again.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Xantarr She's not. Dave Gross confirmed it was one of the men in the AMAA.
  • XantarrXantarr Member Posts: 16
    @Jalily Oh interesting. I'd better go check it out.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Xantarr To save you some time, here it is:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/?limit=500

[–]quartzlcc 9 points 11 days ago

My guess is the "wild" mage. ;D

[–]DaveGross 9 points 11 days ago

Your guess is incorrect. :)

• Arsene_LupinArsene_Lupin Member Posts: 181
    Minsc is with me, always.

And Jaheira, too. Minsc and Jaheira are my only two constants. In every game.

I also like to have Viconia in. Other than that, I'll take pretty much anyone who's not named Anomen.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Me - Fighter
    Viconia Devir
    Shar-Teel
    Imoen/Safana (can't decide now)
    Xzar
    Minsc
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    Me - LN Human Cleric of Helm
    Rasad
    Neera
    Imoen
    Kivan
    Quayle

I'll be focused on melee, buffing myself with spells like Draw Upon Holy Might, and Spiritual Hammer.

Rasad is up in the air since I don't know his stats but he will most likely be supporting melee.

Neera will be the main arcane artillary.

Imeon is going to be focused on traps/locks fully made for ranged combat, as per usual.

Kivan will fire his bow while enemies close then join in melee. Most likely wearing fullplate and ignoring his stealth skills.

And Quayle will be focused on arcane support/healing, allowing myself and neera to focus on other things with our spell selections.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    That's a good question. I always like to be heavy on the spell power, because, uh, Linear Warriors Quadratic Wizards.

PC (Usually a bard.)
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Viconia
    Dynaheir
    Imoen

Sometimes I'll mix it up and grab Quayle or that cleric that's turned to stone. It really depends on what I'm playing.

My BG2 Party was:

PC (Bard)
    Jaheira
    Minsc
    Jan Jansen
    Viconia
    Aerie

Minsc is the only one without real magic. Hahaha. And with all three romances in one party it made for an interesting journey.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    About the only staple for me is Imoen. I played BGT back when I was playing this game, and she is with me at the start of BG2. Similarly, for continuity's sake I typically take Jaheira, Khalid, and Minsc through the Nashkel mines. I usually then go rescue Dynaheir for Minsc. But after that I often leave all but Imoen in Beregost and assemble a new party.

I like to mix up the lineup from game to game. I enjoy putting together oddball combinations. And I usually try out a custom NPC mod.

Too early to tell how well I'll actually like the three new NPCs, but I'm definitely going to try all three for my first BG:EE game.

Lemernis - TN half-elf Fighter-Mage
    Imoen
    Viconia
    Rasaad
    Neera
    Dorn

I'm playing vanilla, so no 'happy patch'. I'm going to need high enough Cha that party members who don't like each other do get into it verbally and yet don't leave the party--and (preferably) don't fight to the death. I guess Rep can't climb too high either, else Dorn and Viconia will bail. (No higher than 18 is it?)
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Kivan and Edwin are must-haves.

Edwin is powerful and a funny little schemer. Kivan is just the epitome of cool, elven ranger. He's the one character I still miss in BG2.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2012
    I'm boringingly predictable usually in my party for Bg1 and just improvise BG2 using people until their personal quests are done then leaving them.

BG1 most of the time:Me Paladin
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Khalid
    Dynaheir

BG2: Me paladin
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Imoen/yocheesmo/imoen part2
    Aerie
    Mazzy

I've had no trouble playing these groups and surviving. The one time i deviated in BG1 i subbed kivan for Khalid and Branwen for Jaheira. In BG2 i subbed Aerie for Jan. I'm confortable with these combos which is why i stick with them as boring as that may seem to some. But as i said, i do keep other npc's around long enough to do their personal quests, but the above is always my final party. I've not decided on the new party members yet though neera certainly sounds like an interesting choice.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    Pc evil female elf assassin or plain thief havent decided yet with viconia, edvin and dorn.

Pc neutral female half-elf blade or jester, safana or skie, Jaheira, neera.

Pc good female half-elf skald, rasaad, imoen, and probably ajantis because never finished with him before he allways dies.

All parties have arcane and divine caster with one "tank" and thief.
    These are my normal parties only new guys added/changed in to replace someone else.
    But probably first game i finish is solo Blade they are just awesome.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Was planning a game with PC - LN half-elven cleric of Helm / Kivan / Rasaad / Coran / Xan / Neera, but now I'm more tempted by an evil playthrough with
    PC - LE half-elven blackguard
    Montaron
    Xzar
    Edwin
    Faldorn / Tiax
    Rasaad / Dorn
    Depends a lot on blackguards being available for all races (I tend to favor half-elves / elves in my games), what the new NPCs' personalities & stats are like, and what I'll feel like playing on the 18th.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Koson said:

Was planning a game with PC - LN half-elven cleric of Helm / Kivan / Rasaad / Coran / Xan / Neera, but now I'm more tempted by an evil playthrough with
    PC - LE half-elven blackguard
    Montaron
    Xzar
    Edwin
    Faldorn / Tiax
    Rasaad / Dorn
    Depends a lot on blackguards being available for all races (I tend to favor half-elves / elves in my games), what the new NPCs' personalities & stats are like, and what I'll feel like playing on the 18th.

Unfortunately, the blackguard is a paladin kit, so the class is only available to humans.... and Dorn, but he is "special".
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Meh :(
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    How can anybody answer this without playing with the new NPC's. They might be great, they might be awful - how could we know before we tinker with them and see?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @reedmilfam: After fifteen years, I imagine there's very little left to learn about the previous 25 NPCs - anyone incorporating Dorn, Neera and/or Rasaad is doing it first and foremost for the novelty. :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I just mean that calling them part of a favorite party is a bit premature.
  • MalbanMalban Member Posts: 25
    I love planning my character and party almost as much as playing! Below are my planned playthroughs for BGEE :)

BG1 - Canon
    Charname (Neutral Good Half-Elf Ranger/Cleric)
    Imoen
    Jaheira
    Khalid
    Minsc
    Dynaheir

BGEE - Good
    Charname (Chaotic Good Elf Swashbuckler)
    Ajantis
    Kivan
    Rasaad
    Branwen
    Neera

BGEE - Evil
    Charname (Neutral Evil Human Blackguard)
    Kagain
    Shar-Teel
    Viconia
    Safana
    Edwin
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Me - Human, True Neutral, Thief dual to Fighter, dual wield long swords.
    Kivan
    Coran
    Safana
    Viconia
    Edwin

I pick my party more for role playing than overall party strength. I actually would really like Imoen in my party as well, if I was given another slot. Maybe on my next playthrough I'll forgo Edwin and dual Imoen to a mage, or maybe just do without a mage.

I always have my PC go into stealth mode, then have a party member tell Minsc to go screw himself and his quest, which causes him to attack, then I backstab him and watch him explode into a million chunks.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    BG (Classic) - Evil Party

Main Character (Human Fighter)
    Kagain
    Shar-Teel
    Montaron
    Edwin
    Xzar (Dual-Classed at 6th level to 6/8 Necromancer/Cleric)

4 Fighter Types
    2 Mages for Fire-Power
    Cleric and Thief setup as a support class off either a Fighter or Mage primary.

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'm planning on running at least one Blackguard character with Dorn as a companion. I think the results will be highly amusing.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get quality time with nearly every NPC in the right combos for most entertaining party conflict.
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    My first playthrough my party was:

Main character (Half-elf Ranger)
    Minsc
    Khalid
    Jaheira
    Imoen
    Dynaheir

So yeah I actually played with the canonical party on my playthrough without realizing it... they were just the easiest ones to get who were good. On my second playthrough I dropped Khalid and Jaheira because I didn't really like them much in exchange for Kivan and Yeslick. (I also went with a Paladin as my main the second time).

I haven't completely decided what I'm going to do this time... I might go with an evil party, but in general I don't like playing evil that much so I'm not sure. I do want to try some of the new characters, Neera is almost definite (unless I go all evil, in which case it would be Dorn).