Skip to content

Multiplayer?

Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1 Member Posts: 15
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Heya,

So my dad just preordered his own copy of BGEE so we could play multiplayer together and I had some questions about how the multiplayer in Baldur's Gate works.

I've gathered that your still playing the same thing just with you, your friends and however many spots left of npcs, instead of it just being you and 5 npcs. And I've seen that you can create even more pcs than there are players and then assign each one to a player (or make 6 and assign them all to yourself). But there are some technical ingame things I'm not clear on.

1. Pausing:
Can all players pause the game for everyone to give combat commands? Just player 1? Or is pause in combat removed when your playing multiplayer?

2. Hey I'm the protagonist and this is my friend Chuck:
How does the game react to other players? Is everyone the protagonist or are the other players treated as companions by the game? Do the companion characters completely ignore you?

Can all players talk to quest givers?

What about shopkeepers? Can other players loot and sell stuff or do they have to hand things back and forth with player 1?

Any other advise about how gameplay differs?

Thanks alot in advance.

Comments

• raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    i tought we had this thread multiple times allready could do some merging, and would be nice to know hear these ansvers from someone from beamdog not just info based on how it was.
  • Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1 Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2012
    Was there? Sorry, I wasn't able to find anything that answered these questions (pausing and how the game responds to multiple pcs) either by googling or using the search function on this site, but I might have missed something.
  • ManveruManveru Member Posts: 75
    As far I can only answer for old BG:

1. Before the game starts the host has the possibility to give certain rights to everybody ingame. One of them is the possibility to pause.

2. The player that controls the first character (in the list of characters before the game start) is the protagonist, the others are just party members. Sometimes NPCs even say they only want to talk to the protagonist, not to you as party member.

3. Mostly yes I think, we assigned our paladin as party leader, even though he wasn't the protagonist. Again this can be set before the game starts

4. Again depends on the rights, but yes everybody can buy/sell. You can even grab items from somebody else his inventory and sell it. Though the gold will end up in the same pile anyway :)

It's a lot of fun to play in multiplayer with some of your friends :) Only problem we had, if player 1 controls NPC A and player 2 controls NPC B and A and B talk, the dialog breaks. Hope that's fixed this time around :)
  • ZordrathZordrath Member Posts: 19
    If the other players have no influence on the dialogue initiated by the host, do you know if they can do other stuff while he's talking, like fighting or shopping?
    Depends, some dialog the game pauses and everybody can watch what's happening (I think this is important dialog only) and other dialog the game just continues while 1 person is talking.

You can force the game to pause during dialog by enabling the "Pause on dialog" option, which we used so everybody could follow the story. This has no effect on shopping as far as I remember though.

• Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1Hi_Its_Me_Imoen1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for posting :)

I thought of another question. When the main char dies, it's game over, but when an npc dies you can take the body to the temple.

In multiplayer, does this work the same? Is it only game over if player 1 dies or something else? Can player 1 take player 2's corpse to the temple and vice verser?
    Yes it works the same, it's only game over when the protagonist dies, otherwise you can just continue to the temple. We even shifted NPC's around between players sometimes so somebody could continue playing while his own NPCs were dead, until we found a temple/resurrection scroll.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It sounds like a lot of people have answered this question, but the game's manual includes some more specific information about how Multiplayer works (managing permissions and what-not). Everything you've noted here can be modified when you set up the session.

You can also bring new players in--or bring in a new character for an existing player--during play. So if you decide you don't want to trek all the way back to the temple, you can just bring in a new character (although that character might not be at the same level as the rest of your party).