Skip to content

Multi / dual class avatars.

salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I haven't been able to find anything about this elsewhere, so I'm really sorry if there has already been a similar discussion.

One thing that always riled me in the original BG was that the avatars for multiclassed characters were often the opposite of what you'd want them to be. For instance, a thief/illusionist had the avatar for a thief, which meant that their avatar only inproved when you equipped leather armour and not robes. Obviously, you don't really want to be wearing armour because it prevents spellcasting, so you had to go around with a practically naked PC.

Most annoyingly, some NPCs had avatars that were impossible for the PC, for instance Bentley Mirrorshade had the illusionist avatar.

I always thought it would be nice to give the player the option, without resorting to Gatekeeper...

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The G3 tweakpack has a simple script that lets you select the avatar for any character by pressing the "s" key. That requires Tutu or BGT to work obviously. If you want this kind of feature for original BG without having to use an external program, I can't think of any method.
  • SeriousMikeSeriousMike Member Posts: 38
    Was something like this already posted in the feature request forum?
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Tadaaaaaaaaaaaan!

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    It's been asked-for a bunch. I think giving the option to choose the appearance at character creation would solve it, but not having it is no big deal. I just think the mage look is better for Kensai, the rogue for duellists and the like.
  • NiphireNiphire Member Posts: 15
    I was about to write a similar thread. It would be nice to be able to choose. Sometimes you may want a thief with mage support spells, and sometimes you want a mage with stealth skills. It could be easy or hard to implement depending on how the code is built, I guess... Is there any official statement on this?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I don't think that there's been any kind of official statement about this. I think its safe to assume that the game will follow vBG1's behaviour.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I do so wish we could select the appearance of our sprite at character generation for precisely this reason. Don't think that will happen, but it would be great to use L/R arrows to change the default sprite to prepare for dual classes or different approaches.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2012
    BG:EE includes Erephine's 1PP avatars. Her latest mod version (I believe it's v4.0) included Galactygon's smart avatars that change your character's paperdoll depending on the armor (i.e. a thief can switch to a mage avatar while wearing a robe). While it's a wild guess, I assume BG:EE will include Galactygon's smart avatars.
  • NiphireNiphire Member Posts: 15
    g314: That sounds like an acceptable solution.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    I'm not sure I like the sound of avatars changing depending on armour. That would change your character's head as well...