Skip to content

New chars in BG EE, especially Dorn.

foma_mgppufoma_mgppu Member Posts: 115
Hi all!
First of all, I want to talk about Dorn-Il Khan, because his quest caused me most of the problems. So I killed all of Dorn's ex-partners, and I've spoken to him once after, but other than that it's a deadend. I've reloaded, I've kicked Dorn out of party and brought him back, I've traveled and I've rested for an eternity and to no avail. He does not speak to me, not automatically nor manualy, and the journal entry "Dorn-Il Khan" stays in my active quests. So, short of EEKeeper, I do not know how to overcome this.
It was ok with Neera, it was meh with Rasaad, because of 2 quest bugs when you had to search all over the Internet to find some workarounds, but this is simply outrageous. For god's sake those characters ARE "the enhanced edition" roughly speaking, and they are bugged as hell. Take them away and that "enhanced edition" turns out to be BG TuTu.
No clues as to what to do next, no pinned troubleshooting post or FAQ in the official forums, no bug fixes (concerning said issues) since release, I am so very dissapointed in you, beamdog.
I've bought BG:EE for PC and for Android and all other "enhanced" Infinity engine games on the PC, but after this I am so very discouraged to even start them, seeing what a mess this one is.

Edit: Clarification: I am at the end of the game, before going to the maze, and I've kept all of EE chars quests just untill the very end.

Comments

• HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    As far as I can remember, that quest stays in the log even after completing it. You've finished the quest as far as it goes.
  • foma_mgppufoma_mgppu Member Posts: 115
    @Hudzy That's what driving me nutz!!!
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Originally, @foma_mgppu, BG didn't have any separation of journal entries into diary remarks, active quests and completed quests. There was just one long scrolling journal for each chapter, with everything in it, and no entries were moved around on completion of anything. Back in the 1990s, that was as much as players expected.

In the EEs, Beamdog have tried to implement the more modern concept of organising the journal into separate sections and moving entries around when a quest ends. In earlier EE versions, it was quite a mess, indeed at first it was pretty much unusable, but they've been gradually improving it with successive patches.

However, as you are noticing, it's still not perfect!

I expect several more sets of quest entries will be tidied up and work correctly with the next patch, in a couple of months. Unfortunately, new reports of journalling bugs keep coming in, so some of the newer reports are now probably too late for fixes to make it into the forthcoming patch, so maybe it won't be until the patch-after-next that we'll finally have a journal in which everything works perfectly.
  • foma_mgppufoma_mgppu Member Posts: 115
    @Gallowglass, I ain't demanding that everything be perfect from the start, and I understand that nothing can be perfect at all, but those problems are not just some minor glithes or small details that most of the time fit into "oh, I would like that thing to be not sky-blue, but a little darker" category. And they definately do not fall simply into "that journal entry would not go away, oh, well, grumble grumble grumble" category either. It is not just it. Major issue is that aforementioned quest lines are simple misleading and/or downright broken to the point of being almost non playable.
    I know that these games are not supposed to be holding my hand, and I love them for it, but when it is coming to the point when I have to spend up to an hour IRL time searching the web, tweaking the console etc. to be able to advance a single step in a single quest, it is getting pretty close to being an absurd annoyance when you actually just want to smash your keyboard till it breaks against your head and uninstall the game.
    I maybe wrong, because I am pretty far off from gamedesigning industry, but given such tools and no doubt talented staff, I think it is at least not super hard to make a clean, crispy and straightforward (in a good sense) three not so big quests and two new locations.
    Do not take it wrong, I mean no disrespect to the developers or such, and I am so very grateful for their job nicely done, I just want to be able to thoroughly enjoy these wonderfull games and to be able to take my charname straight through ALL of them with as little bumps and stones in his shoes as possible.
    P.S. Off topic, sorry. Can't wait to see Siege of Dragonspear =)