Skip to content

Mourning David Bowie

KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
David Bowie has passed away.

Apparently he never made it public about his illness. This comes just a couple of days after he released his song "Lazarus" - the lyrics to that take a whole new deeper, sadder sense in hindsight.

The man died with more style than we'll ever live with.

Comments

• SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Last week Lemmy, this week Bowie, who's next Tom Waits? The world is losing all it's greatest artists.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    :(
    David Bowie was the bestest. I'll certainly miss him.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    His music has been part of my life for four decades - R.I.P.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Shocking, RIP Bowie
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    I was shocked how did he had the energy to produce new album with his disease.
    I didn't want that anybody know about his state.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Just heard about this myself! :(

Here's some classic Bowie music to enjoy as he is remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDkp7GysvbY
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Rest in peace Jean genie.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    It sad news indeed, RIP Goblin King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjLgazajjqg
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Back in the '80's, my parents unexpectedly got cable TV for the house. One of the first Chanel's my sister an I turned on was MTV, which was only months old at the time. I think the very first video I saw was some Petenders song, but then Ashe to Ashes came on. It was an absolute revelation to my 12 or so year old self. There was something so spooky and weird and incomprehensible about it, but it was also strangely catchy. I've been a fan ever since. It really never occurred to me that David Bowie would one day not be in the world.
    There have been few celebrity deaths that have really affected me, but there's something about Bowie's death that really stings.
    Farewell, Mr. Bowie. In your own words, YOU'RE WONDERFUL!
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    @BillyYank they had that costume at the David Bowie Is exhibit at the MCA in Chicago last year. It is crazy! I don't know how he was able to perform in that thing.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I always thought that was the coolest thing about his performance, that the costume restricts him to only arm movements and facial expression.
    BillyYank said:

I first saw Bowie on TV in 1979 when I stayed up to watch Saturday Night Live. I didn't realize until I looked it up now that the background singer in black is Klaus Nomi. I was 13 at the time I saw this and thought it was the coolest, most bizarre thing I'd ever seen. Usually a band on SNL just played their songs. That wasn't good enough for Bowie.

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/113732/BOWIE__RARE_LIVE_VIDEO__MAN_WHO_SOLD_THE_WORLD__2__SAT_NIGHT_LIVE_1979/

I LOOVVVEEE Klaus Nomi. It's a shame he died way before I was born @_@.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Nomi was brilliant. And this highlights one of the things that make Bowie important -- he was someone who had one foot in the world of innovative, counter-cultural and experimental music and the other foot in the world of pop. He used his success to bring obscure artists to light.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

Nomi was brilliant. And this highlights one of the things that make Bowie important -- he was someone who had one foot in the world of innovative, counter-cultural and experimental music and the other foot in the world of pop. He used his success to bring obscure artists to light.

This is especially true of his period that spanned Station to Station, Low, Heroes, and Lodger. Razor-edge pop that was one foot on the fringe yet still very accessible and digestible. Low remains one of my favorite albums. In fact, more than any other artist, it's almost impossible for me to pick a favorite Bowie album between Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust and Low. And there is another 5 or 6 albums that I rank just a shade under those 3.
  • NotabarbiegirlNotabarbiegirl Member Posts: 141
    There was a little corner of my heart that held the essence of my teenage self. That little corner of my heart was broken. Rest in Peace Dear Sir, your talent touched many.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I just can't get over that "Lazarus" clip - he even managed to make his own death a work of art.
    edited February 2016
    Pretty good tribute by Miracle of Sound

Edit: "A tribute to and celebration of David Bowie, the only way I knew how. No one inspired me more as an artist and as a human being than he did.

Each verse tells of a different Bowie fan and how he touched their lives. The first two are fictional and the third one is autobiographical, about how Bowie affected my own life as an awkward teenager. I hope you guys like it :)

Rest in peace, Starman <3" - Miracle of Sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvfC109XyYA
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    In one of his lesser known roles, he had a part in a movie called "Into the Night". It is a particular favorite of mine, not that it is a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, but it does speak to me on a number of levels.

Bowie plays this spy/assassin who chases the two lead characters (Jeff Goldbloom and Michelle Pfeifer) around downtown LA all night looking for some jewels. It isn't a large role but he still manages some pretty good lines in it.