Skip to content

Menzobarren playthrough with bhaalspawn PC, second NPC?

brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
One of my fav games from back in the day was strahd's possession and never got to play Menzobarren but thinking of giving it a try with my PC fighter/mage half-elf bhaalspawn. Get to create my second PC and not sure what class/race but thinking Paladin but open to any suggestions or any advice on this first time playthrough into the underdark!

Comments

• RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    edited January 2016
    I recently played it (thanks to GOG of course :wink:) with human ranger and half-elf cleric/mage, and I got to say, that it was one of the easiest playthroughs I've ever done...
    There are so many potions/scrolls that you will find on your way, enemies are *dumb* (you can fool them at many various ways with ease) and not to mention that:
    with Drizzt at your side (which I find canonical, at RP purposes) - you will definitely smash everything down on your way :naughty:

EDIT: you want an advice? Take Drizzt with you, he (and his abilities) will make everything easier.
    There are also NPCs of every class (maybe except mentioned Paladin), so who you will choose has no matter really, you will beat it anyway :smile:
    So said, maybe take paladin - your first thought...
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Thanks @Rodrian . Im looking for a quick playthrough and love dumb enemies lol. strahds possession some were dumb but if they corner you it can get dicey.

I saw a bit of drizzt as an noc so for sure he's joining my team so that covers my ranger. my first PC will be fighter/mage and debating my second but thinking paladin should cover my tank needs and secondary clerical abilities, especially if theres tons of potions and scrolls so dont think I need a cleric then...is a thief needed in the game for traps/passages etc?
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    brunardo said:

paladin should cover my tank needs

He and the second person up front, there are always 2 characters to *tank* at the same time you know (I'm pretty sure, in Strahd's Possession it was the same).
    brunardo said:

paladin should cover my (...) secondary clerical abilities

Still, you'll need a cleric to use all these scrolls - in fact, you just made me think, if paladin could use any "clerical stuff" :confused:
    Let me know about that...
    brunardo said:

is a thief needed in the game for traps/passages etc?

For passages, you'll need an elf or half-elf - only they have a "Detect Secret Door" ability (one of the reasons for my half-elf cleric/mage :wink:) which personally, I find an odd thing for thieves, to not have one.

As far as it goes for traps/locks, I don't recall many...
    (+ remember about thieves NPCs ^^)
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    I downloaded and started my party and actually came with a hint guide too but only looked at a few items as ruins too much. went with paladin and mage/cleric half elf which is what you recomennded as well lol.
    a little worried about cleric/mage being up front but sure it will be ok