Skip to content

Encumbrance

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
If Potion of Free Action, or the Ring of Free Action, prevent all types of adjustments to the normal movement of a character, shouldn't this also include Encumbrance? Potion of Free Action is magical, Encumbrance is natural. Wouldn't the benefits of this magical potion lift the user above and beyond weight limits and allow him or her to move freely?

Additionally, shouldn't the fact that one of your party members being Encumbered slow down travel time? Ergo, instead of taking 4 hours to reach a location it would instead take 6-8 hours if encumbered?

Comments

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I think the freedom of free action is reserved for effects that constrict you, encumbrance is a decision you have made to retain more baggage than you can carry, you can just drop your equipment in most circumstances.
    I agree about the travel time however, that's another cheese-guilt of mine, drink the strength potion then travel to the next zone *hands out the crackers*
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Boaster said:

If Potion of Free Action, or the Ring of Free Action, prevent all types of adjustments to the normal movement of a character, shouldn't this also include Encumbrance? Potion of Free Action is magical, Encumbrance is natural. Wouldn't the benefits of this magical potion lift the user above and beyond weight limits and allow him or her to move freely?

It opens up a discussion about exactly how free action works, at least. But I think for it to have your proposed effect, the weight-carrying system would need to be reworked into something less abstract. Currently encumbrance is the only penalty for carrying too much, but it's still quite possible for a little girl like Imoen to lift and carry thousands of lbs.. she just can't move while doing it. And free action, while letting you move freely, shouldn't provide super strength.
    Boaster said:

Additionally, shouldn't the fact that one of your party members being Encumbered slow down travel time? Ergo, instead of taking 4 hours to reach a location it would instead take 6-8 hours if encumbered?

Aye, ideally it should. Probably just an oversight or programming issue.

• KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135

Obviously there are horses between the map locations.
  • glakenglaken Member Posts: 8
    I know my encumberance has gotten higher since I've last played BG - hope I can still keep up!
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Konabuga said:

Pokemon horses?
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    That is a problem with encumbrance. Gold weighs nothing; a gem takes as much space as a suite of full plate, which takes as much space as a piece of paper you can't sell.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2012
    Better than the weight of gold being factored in. Gold is heavy. Had a DM that did that to us once. From then on, we demanded payment in gems. ;)
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245

Konabuga said:

Pokemon horses?

They keep them in a Bag of Holding