Skip to content

What would be the best items to buy first?

2»

Comments

• ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    Are there any mods that remove Potions of Master Thievery from merchant inventories?

Thinking about it, I don't believe any business willing to sell them would ever survive long enough for Charname to become a customer.
  • Reticent said:

Are there any mods that remove Potions of Master Thievery from merchant inventories?

Thinking about it, I don't believe any business willing to sell them would ever survive long enough for Charname to become a customer.

I don't know of any, but I believe Rogue Rebalancing has a component that makes the various merchants that take stolen items unable to be stolen from, and that'd probably hit the majority of merchants who sell potions of master thievery. The same component prevents those potions from stacking with themselves, which makes it harder for any Thief to just walk in, buy a bunch of potions, and suddenly be able to steal anything. On the other hand, it means if you want to steal from most stores, you have to take Jan, Hexxat, or play a Thief yourself in order to get the base skill up high enough.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    My first purchase is bag of gems.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @Reticent, no mod required, just don't buy them.....
    And they boost also other thief skills, why remove an usefull item just to prevent players to use a cheap tactic.
    If modded like in RR they prevent cheap tactics, but leave the option to boost your thief, even for stealing, like you can boost your fighter whith other potions sometimes.
    The problem whith stealing as is implemented is that even whith only 3 levels in pickpoket a certain NPC can steal everithing. Stealing is a big part of being a thief, also RP wise, avoiding to use cheap steal and sell tactics or modding like RR you give to the thief class a reason to exist. Now whith metagaming for traps and potions to steal, maybe recruiting a thief whith few stealing skills just for the job and then dropping him, you can go through the whole game whitout a thief. You have to really love backstabbing, scouting and setting traps, another thing that can be done in clever and interesting ways or cheap ways, to have a real thief in the party.

@Kaigen , also the blade NPC, but not early game, and a CHARNAME Bard.
    And don't forget Yoshimo.
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    @gorgonzola certainly no mod is literally required for that, but it wouldn't have been the first instance of a mod that cleaned up something solely on the basis of aesthetics or logical consistency.

I don't have any problem with the existence of Potions of Master Thievery and think they're fine as loot. I just don't think they make sense as an item shopkeepers would make available on their shelves.

As far as whether I'd consider using them an "exploit" or "cheap tactic", no not really.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Reticent said:

I don't have any problem with the existence of Potions of Master Thievery and think they're fine as loot. I just don't think they make sense as an item shopkeepers would make available on their shelves.

I agree, there is a lot of things that make no sense in this game, and this is one of them.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Do lockpick-shops have locks on their doors?