Skip to content

First time through BG:EE, questions about a few different classes

EpicPainEpicPain Member Posts: 19
Good morning fellow Amnians, I have started going through BG:EE these last days, and I'm having a great time. I have made a few different characters, but I'm not sure which one to pick, mostly because I don't know their playstyle yet, it's only early levels (Nashkel mines). I have three questions below, basically answer whatever you want, but for me question #3 is probably the most important.

1) So I have made a sorcerer, I saw some threads on here about which spells to choose etc. I'm having a good time, but I'm not sure how people can even solo with him. I am at Nashkel mines (level 2 sorcerer, I have chosen Magic missile and Spook for him) with Jaheira and Khalid too, not solo, and I'm having a hard time with the groups of imps. It might be that I need to run, kill one and run again, these sorts of tactics since all my party members die so easily still. How would someone solo this area with a sorcerer? Do they go at a higher level? Or just different tactics?

2) I have also thought about dual classing. Some recommendations I had seen were thief or assassin to level 12 or 13, and then dual to mage. That was for BG2:EE. However, that would mean that I would go through all of BG1 with a thief, assassin or swashbuckler. Would this be a fun playthrough in your opinion?

3) I'm really not sure about how the playstyle of the thief characters will pan out in this game. Say you are an assassin or swashbuckler. And also say that you would want to either solo, or have very few members in your group. How would the playstyle be? Do you have to play a lot with ranged and poison weapon (assassin case) or do something else as a swashbuckler? Basically does being an assassin or swashbuckler boil down to being ranged for most of the game? Is there an option where you can murder enemies up close?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I'm sure many of our resident experts will soon post in this thread with some very good advice, and I'm not usually the best one to try to give answers on these kinds of questions.

But, I think some more information might be helpful.

How do you have Jaheira and Khalid equipped? They should both be wearing helmets, at least splint mail armor if you haven't found or been able to afford plate yet, and using shields. Armor class is everything to your defense in the early game. You want to try to get it into the negative numbers as soon as possible. Anybody engaging in front line melee with an armor class greater than 1 or 2, or heaven forbid, no helmet, is going to die a lot.

The most powerful level one mage spell is Sleep. That spell can take out large groups of "imps", that is, kobolds, in one casting. People who play sorcerers don't like to take Sleep because it becomes useless in BG2, but they know where to go to get a wand of Sleep for the early game. Really, mage is better than sorcerer for a beginner in my opinion, because they have flexibility and can experiment with different spells to learn how to use them effectively.

Never underestimate the power of ranged weapons in the early game. Jaheira, Khalid, and your sorcerer should be doing a lot of sniping with sling and bow. I always take sling for my first proficiency with a mage or sorcerer. Mages shouldn't be engaging in melee with a staff or dagger, ever.

Having a smaller party greatly increases challenge, especially for a beginner. Having a full party would make things much easier. Did you talk to Minsc in Nashkel before you went to the mines?

People who solo their character have a lot of knowledge and experience with the game. They know just where to go to get the best equipment, and they have foreknowledge of everything that is about to happen, and how to counter it. I wouldn't advise trying a solo game until you have played several times with a party.

Good luck as you progress. This is really a great game. Please keep asking questions as desired. People around here love to share advice about tactics and strategy.
  • EpicPainEpicPain Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2016
    @BelgarathMTH Thank you for this great answer! I had completely forgotten to wear any armor to Khalid or Jaheira! And I wondered why they died so easily... Time to head back to Beregost.