Skip to content

Two-handed axes!

MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I don't know if it's possible to add two-handed axes, with the sprites and the code and the contract, but I've never really undestood why there aren't any in the game. I mean, there's the two-handed sword, the one-handed axe and the halberd...

Just because I like axes. Even though they're a little underpowered in respect of swords (same damage, but slower).

Comments

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    A halberd is a two-handed pole axe... A better question is why there aren't any two-handed hammers. Like a lucerne hammer, or a maul.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I think because the halberd animation just looks so wrong when you know your character is supposed to be wielding an axe.
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2012
    Plus, isn't the halberd a piercing weapon? It goes under "spear", if I remeber correctly. And it's too sophisticated for a frothing half-orc barbarian.
    Mauls are cool too, yes.
    Should have expected 99% starwars when I google imaged "maul," was still surprised (and depressed).

Should have expected 99% starwars when I google imaged "maul," was still surprised (and depressed).

A maul is basically a sledge...
    @Sceptenar Thanks I was confused because I was thinking of a "caul" used in woodworking. Again.. I strongly recommend not google image searching for "caul."
    @Moomintroll
    Oh dear god no! You baited me into that, you bastard!
    I couldn't help myself. the horror, the humanity!
    @Moomintroll I kinda hate you right now.

I couldn't help myself. the horror, the humanity!

Now I know where babies come from! Nooooooooooooo!
  • TenYaibaTenYaiba Member Posts: 212
    At least you're not members of the Grouse Ornothological Avian Technical Societal Expedition. Google the acronym to find them.
    @TenYaiba That's a low blow!

Anyway, let's all stop making this thread unreadable, please.
    Sorry, Isaw google tricks and went for the oldest one in the book :P

In apology I support more weapon types, though halberds were (in D&D, i forget about BG in this instance) slashing and piercing at the wielder's option. But truly, it's no GAx.

Perhapse we'll get this in DLC? And falchions, because they're AWESOME!
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Halberds are a spear/axe combo. They do piercing damage, but they're supposed to have a switchable damage type.
    Weren't polearms supposed to help in various combat options as well, Trip and Set-for-Charge come to mind? Or am I letting my 3e experiences poison my memory of Older editions?

I'm completely in the dark as to how much the infinity engine can be modified as to include new weapon types and the appropriate skills. Though feasibly we could lump the GAx, GreatHammer, and other heavy two handed weapons that rely on massive force into a single weapon group.

And if I remember correctly, Halberds were their own skill group in BG2, separate from spears and axes.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Yes. Halberds are their own category. But Halberds ARE a spear/axe combo. Put the two together and what do ya get?

And yes, trip and set4charge were combat options in the paper game. Not in BG though.
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    And maybe also a two-handed warhammer
    I wonder if giving the Miscellaneous weapon types some kind of extra maneuver to make up for their Not-a-sword damage would help? Would anyone want that?
    edited September 2012
    TenYaiba said:

I wonder if giving the Miscellaneous weapon types some kind of extra maneuver to make up for their Not-a-sword damage would help? Would anyone want that?

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
    Anyway, this feature request was simply aimed at adding 2-handed axes, not at tweaking current weapons.
    @MatteoTurini (Preface:All 3e stuff, I've forgotten precise weapon stats for 2eA, and my PHB isn't handy)

GAxes and axes in general made up for their crit range with their multiplier, though the GAx's single dice reliance (1d12) vs. the G.Sword's 2d6 made the weapon a bit more random. Halberds had no reach and less damage, but bonuses to trip and disarm. Most the weapons had these little differences and bonuses that separated each weapon into a specific tool. I was wondering if there was interest in incorporating these weapons with those additional features as an incentive to chose something other than maximum Damage Potential. If there's no interest for it then I'll withdraw the suggestion.

And yes, it's specifically for GAxes, but have you no interest in any further expansion of the possible arsenal?
    edited September 2012
    Oh, ok, I understand now.

In Ad&d weapons were really more simple than in 3rd. Long swords stats were: 1d8 (1d12 vs big creatures) dmg, +5 initiative, slash. Axes were 1d8 (1d8) dmg, +7 init, slash. 2-h swords were 1d10 (3d6) dmg, +10 init, slash. Halberds 1d10 (2d6) dmg, +9, slash/pierc.

No particular tricks tied to their usage.
    Oh gods... 3E has rotted my brain T.T
    Haha!