Skip to content

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I hope is not a remake of the I6 module and they don't shoehorn Barovia in Toril.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Thanks for great news, maybe this will restart ravenloft and get it back in a new RPG!
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    That is ONE PRETTY LADY, her hair color is like what mine used to be!
    DKnight said:

Off topic. Yeah, Felicia Day is pretty smokin. And she is quite the avid RPG gamer as well. Gotta love that in a woman.

Back on topic, I'd love to see a CRPG based on Ravenloft as something akin to a D&D Survival horror mash-up. I think it would be a niche market, but it would be AWESOME I think. But then I've always thought that they could do something similar for Cthuhlu as well.

DKnight said:

Off topic. Yeah, Felicia Day is pretty smokin. And she is quite the avid RPG gamer as well. Gotta love that in a woman.

Back on topic, I'd love to see a CRPG based on Ravenloft as something akin to a D&D Survival horror mash-up. I think it would be a niche market, but it would be AWESOME I think. But then I've always thought that they could do something similar for Cthuhlu as well.
    I hope so. Let's see what Beamdog's project after Dragonspear is.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2016
    It's been heavily hinted that Beamdog's next project is BG3 with 5th edition rules.

I don't think Ravenloft is really suited to "survival horror". It's really a hommage to Hammer and Universal, where as survival horror draws on the oriental and modern slasher traditions. Iit also tends to depend heavily on the use of first person perspective, which I don't think suits DnD rules.

In PnP, if I actually want to scare my players, I bring the horror into thier regular game-world. The "demi-plane of dread" is too disconnected to be really scary.

Fardragon said:

It's been heavily hinted that Beamdog's next project is BG3 with 5th edition rules.

I don't think Ravenloft is really suited to "survival horror". It's really a hommage to Hammer and Universal, where as survival horror draws on the oriental and modern slasher traditions. Iit also tends to depend heavily on the use of first person perspective, which I don't think suits DnD rules.

In PnP, if I actually want to scare my players, I bring the horror into thier regular game-world. The "demi-plane of dread" is too disconnected to be really scary.

5th edition!? Baator yeah!

What makes the demiplane of dread so disconnected? I heard people comparing it to Silent Hill.
    In a horror themed land it doesn't come as much of a shock when something horrible happens...
    Fardragon said:

I think that Ravenloft is eminently suited for 'Survival Horror'. Room after room full of nasty baddies jumping out to spook you. A villain who pops in periodically to taunt the protagonist and urge them on to 'Run the gauntlet', all the while winnowing down the group with all of his minions. A "Mystery" at the heart of it all. The very meat and drink of Survival Horror.

As for the first person perspective, Resident Evil did just fine without it for a LONG time. While you don't quite get the 'jump' effect on certain things, it is certainly not impossible to do. Far from it.

As for the Demi-plane being disconnected??? I guess I don't get where you are coming from. I'd do it like this:

"The party wakes up after a particularly restless night out in the woods, only to find the day overcast with a pall over the sun. As you cast around for your camping gear you notice that this is not where you set up camp last night. A road stretches off into the gloom and in the middle distance you see a castle."

Have "Someone" grab the group and whisk them away someplace where they can't simply turn around and walk home. The only way out is to find the secret at the heart of the castle and hope that the force that brought them there can send them home. Only at what cost?
    The only way Horror differs from Fantasy is in the capability of its protagonists. Compare the writing of H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. Their creature descriptions are remarkably similar. What is different is the reaction of the protagonist. Confronted with an eldrich nameless horror, Lovecraft's protagonists go insane, whilst Howard's protagonists go snicker-snack and turn it into bite-sized meaty chunks.

Baldur's Gate becomes survival horror if you play solo, no save, no pause, with a weak, poorly equipped protagonist. However, the top down view gives you 360 vision, making it hard for monsters to startle.

The thing about Silent Hill is it is only one step removed from the real world, but it's terrors are strange and unfamiliar. Ravenloft is a fantasy world within a fantasy world, two steps detached from reality. However, it's inhabitants are familiar and everyone knows how to deal with them. No-one ventures forth without first tooling themselves up with holy symbols, holy water, stakes, garlic, wolfsbane and silver weapons.

They did do a couple of Ravenloft CRPGs back in the 90s, first person (on a fixed orthogonal grid) and party based. Fun, but scary, they where not.
    So, I would actually point you to the Tales of the Sword Coast addition to Baldur's gate, specifically the wolf island content. Top down perspective and with protagonists capable of actually doing the 'snicker-snack' yet still several of the encounters with the were-wolves were quite intense in my view. And that without the creepy setting or music.

Now add in the background from Planescape Torment and you have a more creepy and atmospheric background. Not quite what I would imagine that Barovia would look like, but still it proves the point that the actual background CAN have a significant impact on the atmosphere of the game play.

Now go back and play Resident Evil (not necessarily top down isometric, but absolutely not first person). I know when I played it for the first time, I was always jumping. Throw in limited save points, limited resources and some really creepy and atmospheric backdrops and sounds and you have very creepy and scary experience even in a CRPG.

I think there is absolutely a way that someone could meld these three concepts into a more than competent Horror experience, albeit with a Dungeons and Dragons play experience.

As far as the one or two steps removed? I think that is quite a lot in the mind of the game player. The fact that I am in a 'fantasy plane removed from a fantasy world' is almost no difference than being in a 'house outside of Raccoon City' or an asylum somewhere. It's all fantasy. If you ever played System Shock 3 or Doom 3 or any of the Sci-fi oriented Survival Horror games you'd get what I am saying.

The genre and back-drop are less important as the atmosphere and the story. A well written story with suitably creepy (and lethal) antagonists plus lots of twists and turns lend itself to almost any rule system including Dungeons and Dragons.
    I don't think wolf island was particularly scary. I Would say Durlag's Tower, with it's deathtraps and turn-your-party-into-ghouls demon where the scariest parts of tosc.

But your right, it's the writing that counts, and DnD can be scary (or not) in any setting. My point is, there is nothing about Ravenloft that makes it any better for telling a scary story than the Sword Coast. Indeed, the Hammer-Horror tropes are as likely to produce laughter as fear.
    So the battles in particular that I am referencing on Wolf island are primarily those prior to getting any sort of decent silver weapons. I remember the first wolf-were most particularly as I tried to kill it only to realize that it was largely immune to all of my attacks and the ones that got through were regenerated away the next turn. Okay, maybe not 'Fear' so much as knowing that I would not triumph despite having more than capable means, much in the way that many of the Lovecraft stories go with protagonist who 'Think' they are well prepared.

But as far as 'Got what it takes', ghouls, vampires, werewolves, wraiths and Demons? What else do you need? Beyond that it is all in the writing.

But enough on this topic. we can agree to disagree here I guess.
    edited January 2016
    All DnD has ghouls, vampires, werewolves, wraiths and demons. I've destroyed hundreds of 'em.

Good writing can make a squrrel scary. Probably more easily than a vampire, since everyone knows how to deal with a vampire, but who knows how to stop a mutant dire squirrel?

Kick it in the nuts.
    edited January 2016
    The point I was trying to convey is that the reason the wolf-were was so difficult/scary wasn't that we didn't know how to deal with a wolf-were (once it was revealed as such) but that we didn't have an abundance of silver weapons available.

If you play resident evil with the most powerful weapon and unlimited amo from the very beginning, it isn't very scary. Even knowing how to defeat each opponent is only useful IF you have the appropriate equipment in abundance.

Stick a party of characters in a room with a vampire and no silver or magic weapons, "KNOWING" that you need magic or silver (and not having it) isn't going to add to your confidence or ability in taking one out.

Party leader: "Get Back you foul undead monster. I know that silver will utterly destroy you!"

Vampire Lord: "And where pray is this silver?"

Party leader: Er... um.....?

Vampire lord lunchs the would be party members one at a time.

So in the set-up of the adventure you strip the party of anything that could potentially be used as a weapon against a vampire or other undead and then VERY SLOWLY give it back to them. I'd even go so far as to reduce the effectiveness of Clerics and Paladins 'Because you were in the demon dimension'.

And Strahd himself is something more than simply a master vampire. Within the confines of the game, the developers could make very special situations indeed whereby he has to be defeated. If you were trapped in a house/castle/town facing an enemy that could rip you to shreds, but that you simply did not have the ABILITY to harm would make for a very scary scenario. Obviously there would have to be a way to GET what you needed, but therein lies the story.
    Post edited by the_spyder on
    Fardragon said:

The only way Horror differs from Fantasy is in the capability of its protagonists. Compare the writing of H. P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard. Their creature descriptions are remarkably similar. What is different is the reaction of the protagonist. Confronted with an eldrich nameless horror, Lovecraft's protagonists go insane, whilst Howard's protagonists go snicker-snack and turn it into bite-sized meaty chunks.

Baldur's Gate becomes survival horror if you play solo, no save, no pause, with a weak, poorly equipped protagonist. However, the top down view gives you 360 vision, making it hard for monsters to startle.

The thing about Silent Hill is it is only one step removed from the real world, but it's terrors are strange and unfamiliar. Ravenloft is a fantasy world within a fantasy world, two steps detached from reality. However, it's inhabitants are familiar and everyone knows how to deal with them. No-one ventures forth without first tooling themselves up with holy symbols, holy water, stakes, garlic, wolfsbane and silver weapons.

They did do a couple of Ravenloft CRPGs back in the 90s, first person (on a fixed orthogonal grid) and party based. Fun, but scary, they where not.

Actually, Ravenloft fluff material states that most of the people in the Demiplane are unaware of the monsters and that characters like Van Richten and the Carnival are the exception rathen than the rule.
    Thats true but its been proven the model for ravenloft can be a huge success if done right and the survivor horror can be made with setting, music, and difficulty...in ravenloft there is less items, abilities tend to fail, enemies tend to be stronger or with additional powers and PC's have to make fear/horror checks on top of resisting the dark powers and being "corrupted"....also strahd is 400yr vampire/necromancer 16 so you know that wont be easy.
    edited January 2016

Fardragon said:

Actually, Ravenloft fluff material states that most of the people in the Demiplane are unaware of the monsters and that characters like Van Richten and the Carnival are the exception rathen than the rule.
    Sure, the characters are unaware, but the PLAYERS aren't, and to make the game scary, it is the players who you need to frighten.

DM: "You are surrounded by a strange mist. Soon, the land starts to look unfamiliar."

Player 1: "I find some wood and start to sharpen some stakes".

Player 2: "I use my herbalism skill: is there any wolfsbane or wild garlic around?"

To actually scare the players you need to use unfamiliar monsters.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    brunardo said:

Thats true but its been proven the model for ravenloft can be a huge success if done right and the survivor horror can be made with setting, music, and difficulty...in ravenloft there is less items, abilities tend to fail, enemies tend to be stronger or with additional powers and PC's have to make fear/horror checks on top of resisting the dark powers and being "corrupted"....also strahd is 400yr vampire/necromancer 16 so you know that wont be easy.

I like Ravenloft, I like old Hammer and Universal horror movies too. But they are fun, and frequently funny, not scary.
    brunardo said:

Its interesting to note that none of the darklords of Ravenloft reaches epic levels.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Fardragon said:

The likelihood of being able to scare the average group of players is pretty low but you can definitely make it so they don't know what is happening. For example, in the usual "the hunter becomes the hunted" plot twist the evil the party is pursuing begins to attack them in their dreams, one at a time. In the dream attack, of course, the person being attacked is alone, in an unfamiliar environment, where their spells and equipment fail them, then the evil appears, slowly advancing towards them, creeping, until it finally touches the person...at which point they wake up. Unbeknownst to everyone the dream attack has let the evil put their hooks into the target--they will at some point partly betray the party. Not a lot, only a little. With each successive dream, their betrayal becomes more overt. By the time half the party has been touched you won't need any other monsters--the party has to keep a wary eye on each other.

Fardragon said:

Sure, the characters are unaware, but the PLAYERS aren't, and to make the game scary, it is the players who you need to frighten.

DM: "You are surrounded by a strange mist. Soon, the land starts to look unfamiliar."

Player 2: "I use my herbalism skill: is there any wolfsbane or wild garlic around?"

I think this speaks to the types of players that you play with rather than a flaw in the concept.

Fardragon said:

I think this speaks to the types of players that you play with rather than a flaw in the concept.

The best approach would be never clearly tell the gamers in what kind of setting they are going to be, in contrast with the 3rd edition White Wolf approach which goes on about making campaigns with characters native in the Demiplane rather than having characters from Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk being dragged in the Demiplane. They even made a replacement for Half-Orcs called Calibans.
    I think that depending on the creativity of the DM/Game developer, there are any number of ways to 'shroud' the setting in mystery. But if this were a hypothetical CRPG, I would think that players would know at the get-go what the arena was because it would be printed on the cover of the box. That should in no way detract from the scary bits in my view even if you know what you are facing. Anyone playing Resident Evil series knows what they are getting into. Anyone playing Alien Isolation knows that the main baddie is going to be a Xenomorph. In either scenario, there's still loads of fun terror to be had (in my personal and subjective view).

If I were making this (hypothetical) game, the players might know that it was Barovia and that there were vampires around, but it would be very far from clear who the vampires were and who were 'Friendlies'. Further, there would be no ready mechanic to simply start off crafting stakes, because although the player may know, the characters wouldn't. Plus, if you don't know who is who and simply start staking people, the general public would turn against the players. A well written survival horror adventure would be a mystery to unravel, not a brute force assault on "Known" enemies. Add to that the suggestion above about vampiric suggestion (which I really liked) and the ability to influence the party members in subtle ways and there is loads to panic about even knowing what you are facing.

It is all down to the writing and how well it is executed. But to say that the environment doesn't lend itself to survival horror (within D&D) is simply not considering how creative or inventive a developer might be. I personally can see endless possibilities. Admittedly, it could be badly executed. As with anything there is the possibility of failure. But to simply blanketly write it off as not possible is to miss opportunities that I think abound in the idea.

On the other hand, I see no reason to try and convince anyone who dismisses the idea as I have no investment other than it seems like a really cool idea. So I opt out of attempting to convince anyone any further.
    edited January 2016
    Personally, I would love to see a Ravenloft CRPG. It's the idea that it should try to be a "survival horror" game in the style of Silent Hill or all those generic "you are alone in a deserted mental hospital" games that I think is a bad one.

Embrace the Hammer tropes and have fun with them is what I say.

As for how to scare players, I find stoking their already high levels of paranoia effective. After they "accidently" burned down an abandoned witch's cottage, strange wooden effergies keep appearing. Nothing else has happened (yet).

On the other hand, when I created a side quest in a haunted orphanage for halloween, the players determinedly refused to go anywhere near it.

NB Caliban already has a race. He is a hagspawn, that is spelled out in the play.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Another really good plot hook to use, especially if the party is going up against Strahd, is that one of the female party members (the party does have some female members, yes?) looks *exactly* like his lost love, the one who rejected him in favor of his younger brother. As the party strolls into the village, hushed whispers as everyone stares and/or points at that party member; some of them want nothing to do with her while others go out of their way to make her an honored guest. Strahd will adjust how he attacks the party, taking great care not to injure that female party member at all, even attacking his underlings who might be attacking her lest they hurt her.

The thing to remember with Ravenloft is that "scary" isn't the goal; "creepy" is. Not "creepy" as in "do you want to take a look at my collection in the basement?" but "the hair stands up on the back of your neck as you realize you no longer hear any noises while you trek through the woods--all the animals have gone completely silent. Some clouds pass in front of the Sun, and although the light doesn't dim all that much the shadows in the woods grow deeper and darker, and seem to be reaching for you..... A cold sweat runs down your spine and you have the vague notion that you are being followed. No...not followed...*hunted*."
    I am ashamed to admit that I am not up on my 'Strahd' lore.

But, it is interesting (to me if no one else) that the original 'Dracula' story written by Brahm Stoker did not have any sort of love interest for the Vampire. As that is 'The Definitive' Vampire story and usually the one modeled after for these types of things I always find it interesting when they have the whole 'Star crossed lovers' being the 'Cure' for the vampire curse (or at least his downfall). Even later versions in cinema TV and other media all focus on this 'Love story' that just doesn't exist in although not the 'Source' for all vampire lore certainly one of the best known (or known but not understood apparently) references.
    It is also interesting that Ravenloft Golems have their own intelligence and personalities unlike the regular golems. https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dread_Flesh_Golem_(5e_Creature)
    @Mathsorcerer and @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage know there ravenloft lore! and yes Strahds reincarnated love is in every story and his ultimate goal...his one weakness is his ego and wouldnt even think of the PC's as a threat as always as they have little chance to defeat him but the goal is to survive in ravenloft as youre always "hunted". BG 1 and 2 did a great job with bodhi and wolfwere island and theres so many variety of these types of monsters to make it interesting (i.e wereravens, zombie golems, etc) as they have hundreds .of different monsters to choose