Skip to content

Contagion Spell and other spells commonly ignored.

biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 216
I've going over spells I never use recently and have noticed Contagion spell doesn't specify if there is a saving throw or if it is affected by magic resistance. If there is no saving throw then its actually quit useful to slow and make firegiants lose 2 str and 2 dex permanently! Not so bad considering TOB enemies make saving throws left and right. Have anyone tested this spell?

Are there other spells which have vague description but is a lot more useful than they first appear?

Comments

• BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    @biffyclanger
    It has saving throw. If you look under saving throw - Neg. (save vs spells)
    All 4 disease effect all has saving throw vs spells (I checked in editor)
  • biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 216
    Damn that makes them useless in ToB then. Oh well nevermind.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well not necessarily, as far as I know jon irenicus is the only monster in the game whose all saves are at 0, and usually everyone else is hovering at 3-6, if you are going to cast spells, the spells that have a save vs spell are the best one because 99% of enemies have a 6 for that one, one of my favourites is hold monster, it will hold 1d4 monsters and it gives a -2 to the save, and excellent spell to use with spell trigger, especially against fire giants and the such, or even finger of death, again -2 to the save or die, and I've killed dragons with finger of death

if you are looking for a spell like contagion that has no save, then the level 1 divine spell doom has no save, gives -1 to hit and saves and the such, and lasts 10 rounds I believe
    Cool yeah thx. I am not too clued up from DnD so correct me if I am wrong does -2 save vs 6 save mean they have to roll 8 or above to not be affected on a 20 sided die? so your chance of success is 8/20 which 40%? and if you cast greater malision + doom + chant then you have 15/20 = 75% chance of success??

Another question I never figured out is when you caste Chant pre battle then move into enemy range does the debuff still work or do you have to caste Chant when enemies are within range for the debuff part to work?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Cool yeah thx. I am not too clued up from DnD so correct me if I am wrong does -2 save vs 6 save mean they have to roll 8 or above to not be affected on a 20 sided die? so your chance of success is 8/20 which 40%? and if you cast greater malision + doom + chant then you have 15/20 = 75% chance of success??
    work?

yes? I think you are on the right track, for example, if your save vs death is 5, that means you need to roll a 5 or higher on a 20 sided die to succeed the save, but then if you get hit by a greater malison ( which actually gives a -4 penalty , not the -2 penalty the text says) then your save vs death would be 9 ( base 5, +4 for greater malison) which would mean now you need to roll a 9 or higher now on a 20 sided die to succeed

when it comes to chant im not to sure on how it works in terms of casting pre battle then running into the enemies, I never use chant, years ago I think I used it in the orc/ogre cave in IWD, but even in bg, I never use it, I always have slow poison and draw upon holy might as my level 2 spells, and then if I start hitting 7+ level 2 spells I will start memorizing hold person

I would have been nice if they made the numbers in % :).