Skip to content

DC Legends of Tomorrow

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hi, I just started watching this, and I wondered if any other forumites are watching, and what you think about it.

My first impression was that it plays a lot like a Bioware game, as far as being D&D like with tactics and party management, plus interesting character story arcs. What especially interests me so far is that it shows how you can mix a few characters of evil alignment into a "good" party. The party paladin, Atom, is learning how to appreciate the two evil party thieves, Captain Cold with his fiery counterpart, and vice versa. There is tension in wondering whether the two evils will eventually betray the party, and there is very interesting exploration of what might motivate an evil character to join a party that is trying to save the world, and what they might do along the way.

I am familiar with some of the characters from having read Justice League comics as a kid, but not others. The Atom was part of the Justice League during the time I read the comic, as was Hawkman, with Hawk "Girl"occasionally guesting. Captain Cold was Flash's arch enemy, but I don't recognize the firegun wielding fighter-thief, nor the "mage-physicist" who merges body and mind with the Everyman dude to become the equivalent of Marvel's Human Torch.

I've also never heard of White Canary, though I have heard of Black Canary, who makes a cameo in the pilot. Didn't the original Black Canary have some kind of sonic stun power with her voice? I don't think the new version has that power. Rather, White Canary seems to be a fighter-assassin.

The Atom in this version of the character has been updated into a kind of combination between Marvel's Ant Man and Marvel's Iron Man, with greatly increased powers from a techno-suit. Did that ever happen in the comics?

Hawkman and his wife are closest to clerics, I guess, since they wield maces, and have been granted a form of immortality, and Hawkwoman is explicitly stated to be a priestess of Horus.

The time master dude who basically serves as the dungeon master reminds me of Doctor Who.

I look forward to seeing how this series develops, and I hope it lasts.

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

The time master dude who basically serves as the dungeon master reminds me of Doctor Who.

This statement is incredibly ironic because the actor playing Rip Hunter (Arthur Darvill) also played Rory Williams, one of The Doctor's companions.

I saw the first episode and like many first episodes it felt a little weak and rushed, but then they were trying to dive into the plot. The writers and actors will figure it out as they film more episodes.

Professor Stein and Jefferson together form Firestorm, who can do so much more than just fly and shoot fire--he is able to transmute matter from one form to another but they haven't really gotten into that aspect of his abilities yet. Firestorm has been an on-and-off member of the Justice League since the late 1970s.

White Canary--Sarah--isn't using the screecher device; her sister Laurel--Black Canary--does use it in Arrow. Cisco--from The Flash--upgraded it for her; he is also the one who designed Sarah's current outfit.

I am uncertain why the team is going after Vandal Savage in 1975, given that he was disintegrated in 2015, but we have no idea what Malcolm Merlyn, the current Ra's al-Ghul, did after he scooped up some of the ashes. That means the disastrous future is his fault.