Skip to content

[Classes\Kits Request] New classes/kits

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
(Reddit request by zealer)

Now that Trent has confirmed that they'll be adding new classes/kits, which new ones would you like to see implemented?

I for one am sucker for spellcasting classes even better if they are fighter/mage oriented. Naturally all of them would need to be "translated" so they would work in the infinity engine. These are the classes I'd like to see:
- Witch
- Bladesinger
- Spellsword (I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist officially in 2nd edition)

They seem like they'd be pretty hard to implement but it would be awesome to play them.
Post edited by Anton on
BhryaenLunever

Comments

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited May 2012
    Comments from Reddit:

[–]stephanmartins 3 points 2 months ago
    Sure, and also up the cleric's options. Talos, Helm and Lathander are too generic.

[–]zealer[S] 2 points 2 months ago
    The thing with those is that they're the most present in the series, I don't know what would happen with BG2's cleric quest if you're any other than those 3.
    Not that I'm opposed, in fact I would like to see more options for clerics.

[–]Cadros 3 points 2 months ago
    I imagine that the same would happen as if you go as a generic cleric with no kit, and that it would be your alignment that mattered

[–]Noldofinwe 1 point 2 months ago
    I think this would be a problem for BG2EE, but indeed perhaps something generic for other clerics or one of the three based on alignment?
    What I've always wondered however is why clerics only have 7 levels of divine magic, while mages have 9 levels? Is this from AD&D? Cause in NWN clerics had 9 levels as well

[–]zealer[S] 1 point 2 months ago
    Yep, it's AD&D. In 3.0 they changed that to the 9 levels that's why NWN is like that. But I suppose it is not that much of a problem...they can work it around either making new quests or dialogue options(for the cleric quest) in BG2EE.

[–]Cadros 1 point 2 months ago
    I can't see too much of an issue with making more spell levels for priests tbh, and it would add to the 'enhanced vibe' although it might screw with their level scaling a bit.

[–]williamimm 2 points 2 months ago
    Divine Remix from G3 has covered the divine kits - so it should be included as a addon for the extra kits/sphere system.

[–]IchigoRXC 1 point 1 month ago
    Strifeleader, Nightcloak etc :D there are some great kit mods for these.

[–]TheBobHatter 5 points 2 months ago
    I would love to see the Kit limit not hard coded. So If I wanted I could add a ridiculous amount of kits.

Yeah, I never went in BG modding, still that is a pretty good idea, if nothing breaks, that would be great to have.

[–]williamimm 2 points 2 months ago
    ToBEX (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/43639-bg2tob-tobex-release-thread/) does this by default. In fact, a lot of ToBEX would make sense to be intergrated into the main game.

[–]HeroicSpur 2 points 2 months ago
    It is very tempting when adding new kits to make them stand-out as the new kits. This creates a very real danger of imbalancing them. It's important therefore to ensure that they aren't overpowered.
    I believe there were some kits which were not completed in time for release and were added later (Ranger- Avenger?), it may be these that are planned.
    As far as clerics go, Waukeen plays quite an important role in BG2, it seems to me that this kit would fit quite nicely into the game background. It could also be made fairly unique on account that Waukeen is a dead/disappeared god.

[–]Noldofinwe 1 point 2 months ago
    Interesting, but if you played a cleric of Waukeen, wouldn't you start without any powers though? As your god has disappeared and I don't see him getting back during the BG/BG2 timeline, it might be an awesome questline for BG3 perhaps. Finding out what happend to him, I think I read somewhere that he returned 1 or 2 years after the bhaalspawn saga

IIRC other Deity grants clerics of Waukeen powers while she is gone.
    And I agree HeroicSpur, probably all the classes I suggested would need some tweaking. Also great suggestion, Waukeen didn't even cross my mind. I would suggest Cyric but I doubt he would grant powers to a child of Bhaal.

[–]Noldofinwe 2 points 2 months ago
    Ah thanks, I looked it up:
    During the Time of Troubles, Waukeen was captured and enslaved in the Abyss by the demon lord Graz'zt. Lliira, the Goddess of Joy, took on her portfolio and saw to her followers from that time until Waukeen's eventual escape. After more than a decade of isolation from her followers, Waukeen was freed from her prison by a band of adventurers in 1370 DR.
    Source: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Waukeen
    Sounds like quite the adventure :)

Isn't the blade bard class pretty much a spellsword? I would love to see a complete new spell book for a different set of casters, seems unlikely though.

Unfortunately they don't possess the Spellsword's coolest ability that is to be able to cast spells on your own weapon. A Spellsword can use better armor than Blade without the miscast penalty.

Fair enough, maybe that would require a lot more coding as I don't think any spell actually changes your current weapons effects, closest i can think is making it an on touch spell like cause wounds etc

Yeah, and that is a very good point, they could emulate that ability by making it a touch spell that would keep all the bonus/characteristics from your currently equipped weapon.

[–]HeroicSpur 1 point 2 months ago
    Noldofinwe (incidentally are you Norolim?), the fact that you would have fewer powers could in fact be one of the distinguishing features of a cleric of waukeen. They might have penalties to their priestly spells but gain benefits elsewhere. One obvious example is, as a servant of the god of trade, better deals when buying and selling. I could also imagine a very interesting (and easily fitted) stronghold quest, especially in light of what you say about Waukeen's imprisonment....

[–]williamimm 1 point 2 months ago
    This is why Divine Remix should have a Waukeen kit, BTW.

[–]kutovy 1 point 1 month ago
    Another great (wild) kit to consider - Spellshaper
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/44/classeskits-request-enhance-wild-mage

[–]Ardanis_gen1e 1 point 1 month ago
    There is one serious issue to consider about adding new kits and classes - item usability flags. All the existing bits are already used up, therefore new class/kit would have to add more usability flags - which, afaiu, is not going to happen. An alternate option is to go with existing flags... but this may cause problems for item mods that operate with kit usabilities. It does contradict Trent's earlier tweet about retaining maximum compatibility with old mods.

[–]zealer[S] 1 point 1 month ago
    Trent already mentioned they are adding one new kit.

[–]kmark232323 2 points 1 month ago
    The more player options at Character creation, the better. It makes for more replayability. 2nd edition AD&D had many "Handbooks" with extra classes and kits listed. Use them for both gameworld consistsency and fresh ideas. Bladesinger, listed by zealer, is from the "Elves Handbook" for instance. Why not add a kit for each demi-human race for flavor?
    Post edited by Anton on
    tena
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Ooh, bladesinger, yes! Not sure how much trouble it is to code-in a new kit, but new ones sound interesting, and people do like the kit variety.
    Lunever