Skip to content

BG2 sound set KHZ rate

DukinsonDukinson Member Posts: 46
I've been creating a new soundset and was reading in an old thread that the rate "should" be 22khz. However, I left them at 48 khz and they seem to work just fine. Is there something I'm missing?
Post edited by Dukinson on

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I would say that if they are working, then everything should be fine, the only reason I could see for them to bg at 22Khz is to maybe save up hard drive space? because waaaaaaaaaay back in the day the BG games took up quite a bit of room
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Nothing is missing, 22khz is bad quality.
  • DukinsonDukinson Member Posts: 46
    Ya I thought so. This thread had me thinking I was risking bugs or something of the like: http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?topic=745.0
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited February 2016
    Nono, as long as the format is supported, in this case .wav, sample rate doesn't matter. CD quality is 44100hz if I recall, yours is 48000hz which is normal coze when you record with a microphone it is recommended to do it at a higher rate. You could convert it back to 44100hz if you wish, I think you will only have a slight difference in volume.

The only problem is that if you take NPC with shitty sample quality and your soundset is of good quality, it will sounds a bit weird, for you will switch from good to bad quality as you select a different character.
    For an example, Aerie to Rassad

If I were you I would lower the sample rate to 32khz.
  • DukinsonDukinson Member Posts: 46
    I used a converter to extract the audio from a video file and sliced up the quotes with audacity from there on. It started at 48khz. It's taken from a couple TV series and a movie so it's not quite as good a quality as voice talent in a soundbooth in some regards. I've had to cherry pick quotes from silent scenes with little to no music or backround effects. In some cases I was even able to cancel out some of the backround noise. However, this is tough without harming voice quality.

I'll post the project once I'm finished. Hopefully others will get some enjoyment from it.