Skip to content

Spoilers!!! Heritage of the main character

Can anybody list the hints to the heritage of the main character? I know it's spelled out to you in Gorion's letter in Candlekeep, but I'm interested in all the hints leading up to that.

TIA

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if you play throught ToB they will go more indepth about what happened in the past
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Certainly I would include the dream sequences that lead towards that revelation (and beyond) throughout the game. The chanters in Candlekeep are a nice foreshadowing, if not specifically pointing in anyone's direction. Portalbenderwinden may say something about your aura, and the fortune teller near Safana certainly hints at something...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited February 2016
    I think people have covered the hints that lead up to that. In the latter game you come across people that tell you as well.

Cythandria
    Tamoko
    Delthyr (if charmed she suggests other Harpers believe you to be a child of Bhaal)
    Winski Prelate

to name a few.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Is it worth calling out the opening movie, before the game even starts, where there is a hint that appears obvious in hindsight. The opening cinematic makes a lot more sense after you have completed the game :)
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Thanks a lot guys.

I'm running a Baldurs Gate themed dungeons and dragons game for some people who have never played.

I want to make sure they get the full story experience.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Firebead Elvenhair gives you the History of the Dead Three, which chronicles Bhaal's ascension. Captain Brage also gives you a riddle to which the answer is Death. Dynaheir and Minsc's purpose for traveling to the sword coast was to investigate rumors of the Bhaal Spawn. One of the Chanters in Candlekeep sings about Alaundo's prophecy on the matter. There is a shrine to Bhaal in Daveorn's room.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Bigfish said:

There is a shrine to Bhaal in Daveorn's room.

The latter relates more logically to Sarevok being a Bhaalspawn than Charname.

Bigfish said:

There is a shrine to Bhaal in Daveorn's room.

The latter relates more logically to Sarevok being a Bhaalspawn than Charname.

That will come up too, obviously.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Come to think of it, there's also a shrine to Cyric in the mines, and the priest inside demands you name the God the shrine is dedicated to. One of the answers is Bhaal, and if you choose it, the priest yells at you that Bhaal is dead and attacks.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited February 2016
    @Klorox In your situation I would NOT discourage assumptions by the players ~ upon noting that Sarevok's purpose at the ambush was not primarily involving Gorion, but rather, his ward, Charname ~ that Charname must be some sort of missing heir of an important Sword Coast family. An element in a power struggle.

That Charname is a higher order character, a Baalspawn, probably does not need to become an understood theme or context of the adventure until later in the game, a dramatic twist. Perhaps there is a clear pointer in the Return to Candlekeep chapter??? The finesse with which that information is unveiled is rightfully the most sophisticated plotting element of the series from an RP point of view, IMHO.

It actually is a bit odd that representatives, either Priests or Tiefling kindred, of some other Deity have not taken a more prominent interest in Charname's affairs. I would imagine someone has addressed that in the Modding Community.
    Sarevok specifically tells Gorion to hand over his ward, to which Gorion replies "get out of here" and unleashes a ton of spells at Sarevok.
    Oh, and I read the dialogue out loud to the players when they advanced to chapter 2. They were all into it.
    Hey @Grum - nice list!

How did I always miss #4? Where is that said?

As for #6, that's really cool. I never liked Dynaheir so I can see how I'd miss that one.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited February 2016
    I think we should also include the foreboding voice at the end of one dream...."You will learn!" ~ to be an intimation that Charname is rather more than an ordinary more or less skilled Adventurer, or lucrative Kidnap-bait, or some sort of missing heir in a Dynastic Power struggle ~ to name a few obvious guesses for a first-time playthrough. And the character of the voice is suggestive of a certain level of darkness.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    edited February 2016
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish, and from his death shall arise a score of mortal progeny. So sayeth the wise Alaundooooooooo."

As much as I love Baldur's Gate, I've never liked the fact that you're supposed to be the child of Bhaal. I get the feeling that I don't have as much control over character creation. It would be a cool for a Blackguard or Assassin, but less so for a Paladin.
  • cervanntescervanntes Member Posts: 64
    Klorox said:

Hey @Grum - nice list!

How did I always miss #4? Where is that said?

As for #6, that's really cool. I never liked Dynaheir so I can see how I'd miss that one.

If you ask around in the Friendly Arm Inn, one of the NPCs will give you this history of the inn. I can't remember exactly which one, but I think it was one of the serving girls (I wanna say her name is Nellie, but I could be very wrong). It's actually surprising how much you can learn from chatting with random people in the game -- in the Friendly Arm, you can not only learn the history of the inn, but a bit about the owners, a bit about the guests (including those asking questions about you...), and so on.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    You mean Nessie :)
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    edited March 2016
    Thanks @Cervanntes. I was having a hard time figuring out where I remembered that from.
    Grum said:

Top of my head...

(1) The chanters in Candlekeep
    (2) Elvenhair giving you the book of the dead three
    (3) On the sword coast's...coast, there is the fortune teller. She sees who you are, refuses to go any further, and attacks you if you push her.
    (4) Not sure if it is a hint, but the Friendly Arm Inn used to be a temple to Bhaal.
    (5) All of the dreams...
    (6) Charm Dynaheir and she will tell you that she is looking for Bhaalspawn

Two more!

(7) You are asked to get the book for Elvenhair about your coin standing on end (being a master of your own fate). While not a hint for being a Bhaalspawn per se, it does hint that you are special in that you are one of the few people who can choose your own destiny. This, combined with the book on the dead three, heavily hints at you being not only the protagonist but related in some way to one of the dead three.

(8) Also, Portalbendarwinden says this:

"I meant that your aura is hard to look at. It is exceptionally volatile. You are at odds with yourself in a most literal fashion. I've not seen another such as you, though I get the feeling that your type does not live exceptionally long. I would predict a violent end for you, but I can see nothing of your future. It would seem that your coin is on edge."

• cervanntescervanntes Member Posts: 64
    elminster said:

You mean Nessie :)

Yep, I meant Nessie! Couldn't remember off the top of my head, but I knew it was something close to Nellie!