Skip to content

Firebeard and 300GP

verdegreenverdegreen Member Posts: 32
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I was experimenting with what class I should start BG:EE with and found out if you talk to Firebeard in the Inn in Candlekeep 30 times he gives you 300gp; this is right as you start the game. I fired up my ol' copy of BG1 but I tried click/enter combo 30-40 times on Firebeard (with 18 CHAR) and no cigar. This is both having completed his fetch quest and before completing it.

What's the trick? Am I doing it wrong? I'd love to get that intial gold boost.

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I tried that just today and it didn't work either.

MYTH BUSTED.

(Not really busted.)
  • verdegreenverdegreen Member Posts: 32
    I'm running BG1 Tutu so maybe that has something to do with it. But there are so many game guides that say this is true. Bummer.
    edited September 2012

I'm running BG1 Tutu so maybe that has something to do with it. But there are so many game guides that say this is true. Bummer.

I heard someone say "it doesn't work with TuTu," but I'm running completely vanilla BG1 ToTSC and it isn't working either, so.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Some features were indeed lost in translation, so to speak.
    edited September 2012
    I would love to hear from someone (non-troll) who has ever gotten this to work or has a youtube link. Otherwise this is disappointing news.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited September 2012
    Quartz said:

I heard someone say "it doesn't work with TuTu," but I'm running completely vanilla BG1 ToTSC and it isn't working either, so.

I tried it in vanilla BG1 without ToTSC and still nothing. Dear gods, have we been trolled?
    Mortianna said:

Quartz said:

I tried it in vanilla BG1 without ToTSC and still nothing. Dear gods, have we been trolled?
    I do believe that is the nail in the coffin: Dear God, we have been trolled.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    I tried it yesterday on BG1+TotSC and worked. Forget about trying it on BGT or Tutu.
  • MalbanMalban Member Posts: 25
    Want to add my personal experience as evidence that this did indeed work at some point. I haven't done this recently but I have vivid memories of it working on my games back in the day (both in vanilla BG1 [5 CD original] and BG1 + TotSC).
  • RhulqdahrRhulqdahr Member Posts: 28
    You can do the same with Firebead in Beregost to get some additional gold, preferably after fetching him the book he wants.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    I bought the Baulder's Gate Anthology (or something like that) and the day after that I saw BGEE announced. Just today I read that too and I tried it. It was the first thing I did and it worked using click/enter. Didn't even complete his fetch quest. Made a human thief and had 13 cha. O and I didn't use any mods. Hope this helps.
    edited September 2012
    Wiggles said:

I bought the Baulder's Gate Anthology (or something like that) and the day after that I saw BGEE announced. Just today I read that too and I tried it. It was the first thing I did and it worked using click/enter. Didn't even complete his fetch quest. Made a human thief and had 13 cha. O and I didn't use any mods. Hope this helps.

Can you provide a screenshot? Press print screen and then paste and save in MS Paint.

Post edited by verdegreen on
    I clicked on him over 60 times, what did you do different? Is this BG1 or ToSC?
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Tales of the Sword Coast, made a paladin with 18 charisma, he was called Lord Chumpton, perhaps it's in the name?
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    edited September 2012
    LOL, more probably in the charisma score (and/or reputation).
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Btw, to talk to someone many times very quickly: Click, Enter, Click Enter, repeat very quickly. The enter ends the dialogue so the camera does not have time to travel very far off centre after the click, and so doesn't take very long to reset.
    This also works on noober.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Yeah works for me too - Vanilla is delicious
    edited September 2012
    Yes, I just tried it in ToSC and it does work. Makes me sad that it doesn't work in TuTu. Mystery solved.

If BG:EE is based on ToB engine, will Firebeard still bestow upon us precious gold?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    It sounds like they're trying to preserve as much as possible of the original experience. So, I'd say there's a better than average chance it will work.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Things like this don't work in Tutu

Apparently things like this will work in BG:EE

I will remain a sceptic until I can try these things out for myself
    edited September 2012

LOL, more probably in the charisma score (and/or reputation).

Confirmed: AND reputation. I tried it with a Neutral Evil Thief with a Charisma of 18 and no cigar. It was enough for what's-his-face's dagger +1 though!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    What about an evil enchanter with an 18 charisma and the Friends spell?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    She’s an evil enchantress

She does evil dances

If you look into her eyes

She’ll put you in trances

Then what will she do?

She’ll mix up an evil brew

And she’ll gobble you up!

In a big tasty stew

Sooo

WATCH OUT!!!

Sorry~ hehehe.
    Aosaw said:

What about an evil enchanter with an 18 charisma and the Friends spell?

Would probably turn the trick. :3
    I got the 300gp trick to work with a Chaotic Evil Thief and 18 charisma. For the sake of experimentation, I did the exact same build/alignment but with 15 charisma and it didn't work.

So maybe charisma is the sole determining factor in getting the 300gp.