Skip to content

Community/Clan?

ToxicToxic Member Posts: 30
edited September 2012 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Are there any community websites/groups/etc.. for a new person interested in joining online campaigns and or groups? If not then anybody interested in starting a multilayer campaign??

Comments

• ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    Okay.. If you're asking that question I assume you haven't tried BG before and that's cool. Welcome to this forum at least :)

But Baldur's Gate is not like Diablo, or World of Warcraft. BG has a good story, and the attention is on the choices you make for you and your NPC-companions. The combat is slow, and there is a lot of reading to do. There is loot, but it's the same item at the same location in every play-through, no matter the difficulty. After the last boss is defeated, you can replay the game from scratch, but maybe this time you play as a new class and make different choices in the story. There is co-op, but it's not a game where you join servers and 'grind' bosses and 'mobs'. So the appeal for creating 'clans' and 'casual communities' is low. The co-op is a fun bonus, which can make the game easier as BG can be pretty brutal.

I'm personally gonna play it offline during the first two play-throughs, and after that, if I replay it, it'll be with good friends who have also already played the story. It's a little weird and boring playing with a friend, and then watch him save and load in order to figure out how to romance someone in the game. :P
  • ToxicToxic Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2012
    I've actually beaten both BG1 and BG2 before. I am currently working on BG ToB right now to catch up so as far as game play and such is concern I am already familiar with the story. I also play DnD PnP regularly too so I am familiar with the DnD world but as far as how the online component works I am a total noob.:D

One of the biggest reasons I am looking forward to this remake is the fact that I can do a whole campaign with a buddy or two but I guess that's going to work out differently then. This reminds me of Dark Souls or possibly Fable then where you can have your main character and when you go online you just hop into another player's world as an NPC of sorts.
    HoebaggerBrude
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    I've done some consideration about doing a decent mix of a multiplayer bg:ee session with interested people.

Basically running the game as a PnP campaign, i.e consider everything throughout the game with the companions, roleplaying your character ingame towards the options and courses presented.

Ofc. this would require skype or equivalent communication on the fly while playing, and for my part it would be english spoken.

I reckon it would be good fun, as what I like most about PnP is the actual discussion within the group about how to tackle encounters/npc's etc.

It is however also quite demanding and time consuming, but nevertheless those up for the task are welcome.

i'll do a post about my thoughts and plans about how to excecute it once we got closer to release date.
    I'll be down.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd be down but I only ever play mages or druids at this point.
    Brude
    both mages and druids are good companions, allthough watch yourself for the chaotic neutral one, oh my I had some clashes with the self-esteemed type who never where able to stay on one side of path, truly a wicked align to roleplay
    I'm thinking of either of Chaotic Good half-elf Figher/Mage. I will specialize in long range combat so max out Longbows/Crossbows. If i could i would specialize her in illusion but I can't so I'll just do what I can and pick all the illusion base spells.

OR

Half-Orc Druid: Specialize in summoning.
    edited September 2012
    Why not just a gnome fighter/illusionist. It is a better class than a half-elf since you get the short saves. The only disadvantage is the wisdom score loss. That or a full elf fighter/mage, so at least you get the bonus to bows.
    edited September 2012
    Hmm.. that is true. I am really inexperience at making "Good" BG characters. It wasn't until I was much older that I discovered dnd till then I thought it was just a random game so I didn't think to put that much thought into it. Years later I look back and cry at the terrible toons I created. 8(

I'm probably still terrible at it 8( hence the above
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    Toxic said:

Hmm.. that is true. I am really inexperience at making "Good" BG characters. It wasn't until I was much older that I discovered dnd till then I thought it was just a random game so I didn't think to put that much thought into it. Years later I look back and cry at the terrible toons I created. 8(

I'm probably still terrible at it 8( hence the above

Don't say that : Bg works on dnd 2.0 & 2.5. You just need to read the player's handbook and you will get the hang of it. Plus : Remember this is simply a game, it's dont require to be a pro playing with other players. The main goal remains to have fun with others.
    edited September 2012
    @Toxic, you remember the characters you created. I do not. I like to think of it as a defence mechanism.
    Best not to remember how I thought at the age of 10.

I'd also point out that druids are only for half-elves and humans, though you probably have realised that by now.
    Arktosa said:

Plus : Remember this is simply a game, it's dont require to be a pro playing with other players. The main goal remains to have fun with others.

This is the crux of the matter, anything else is personal pursuits or self satisfaction. Roleplay is just that, the unrelenting fun and good times.

If the DM is any good, there's no such thing as a bad rolled PC. If the player stays true to his concept and live out his character, anything can work.

or well....I will start to shake when the CHA 3 half orc starts hitting on the courtesans in the docks. I will make sure he's robbed of all his gold, so the poor lasses aren't forced to live with horrible nightmares for the rest of their wenching lives ;)