Skip to content

Extra proficiency slots at 1st level?

GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
Is it possible to allow for extra proficiency slots at creation?

or at a particular level, for example: One extra proficiency slot at 6th level?

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Are you talking about on a kit basis or a class basis? Class basis is pretty easy, you just edit the relevant .2das. Kit basis isn't possible because the Modify Proficiency opcode only allows setting the proficiency, rather than adding.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    Thank you for the feedback, after weeks of failed experimentation, that is what I feared
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited February 2016

If the Modify Proficiency effect allowed incremental increases, I would scrap the whole proficiency system and rebuild it on a kit-by-kit basis. But, it doesn't.

I suppose you could rebuild the system with dialogues and local variables, but that would be difficult, and fragile.

One thing I've been considering doing, is allow certain kits to choose specialization in a weapon at 2nd level via a dialogue. You couldn't do it any later than that. And players could game the system by not putting points in that weapon at character generation, so this is really a 2-point bonus, not just 1.

@subtledoctor
    You could put in a check for how many proficiencies they have in a given weapon, and not allow them to gain specialization in any weapon that they are not already vproficient with...

You really could redo the whole thing with scripting...

Yeah, but then you have to do it with scripting... :tongue:

I've just completely rewritten my kensai revision to operate by dialogue instead of NRD-style innate abilities. One thing I added to it is, once you max out at GM in your favored weapon, you can choose a 2nd favored weapon. And then once you max out that one, a 3rd, etc. And I added a neat thing using global variables so that the dialogue for choosing the 2nd weapon will omit your first one. It works great and it's cool.

But, if you read closely, you see I wrote "global" variables. So if you have 2 kensais in your party, the dialogue for each of them will omit the favored weapons chosen by the other one. Not ideal! So, I need to learn how local variables work.

If someone knows how local variables work, they can pretty easily set up the proficiency system to work this way. But honestly I think it's too much effort for too little gain, and I don't like the idea of relying on invisible scripted creatures for effects that happen more than a few times per game.

You can do this using local variables. It just needs to be in the dialog (not in the baf/script)...I have an example somewhere. At work now, but I'll send it your way
    Alternatively, you can set a global just for the duration of the dialog, and then reset them after. I do that in the item creation. Feel free to steal any of my code
    edited February 2016
    No, it's really not more effort. You would probably just need to change some globals to locals (though, I'd need to see the code to be sure)

Edit: and you are already relying on scripting, so... :)
    edited February 2016
    Doing this on my phone, so we'll see how it works... Local variables are checked in dialog responses, so you can literally replace

Global("D5_KSTAF","GLOBAL",x)

In the above with

Global("D5_KSTAF","LOCALS",x)

With both the trigger, and setglobal action
    edited February 2016
    Basically, the creature that is active is checking their own variables. When responding, the chr is active. I think that there is a trigger similar to OR in tobex and ee that allows one to check locals on other creatures, but looks like you don't need it
    edited February 2016
    See the deity selection in fnp as well

The local variables for alignment are set by the SPL, but checked in the dialog