Skip to content

Quick lvl-up for multiclass?

QayinQayin Member Posts: 29
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
hey guys!
i played BG back in 2005 (late, i know) and i KNOW i didnt appriciate it fully... having finished PS:T for the first time this week, i understand that playing BG now when im 24 will be a much better experience!

im going to play ONLY with my friend, and i play more then he does, i was hoping to spend the solo time i had leveling... is it possible for me to play with him for a-bit, and than use my char alone in a single player, level up somewhere (Heard something about a candlekeep and guards?) and than join him when he comes but be a higher level?

was toying with a Fighter/Cleric concept...

TY!

Comments

• QayinQayin Member Posts: 29
    edited September 2012
    actually it was ur post that gave me the idea!
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4627/leveling-up-in-candlekeep-anyone-ever-do-that/p1

i know being a multi-class i will level alot slower than he does, even if we only play with a 4 man group, and i want to experience the game plot and dialogues with him, so i cant play a diff char and progress...

so why not come into the game with him being a-bit stronger?

edit: Reading and understanding a-bit more, if there is a 161k xp level cap in TotSC, that means that if i want to Dual class from fighter to anything at level 13, that means i can ONLY do it in BG2 right? because looking at XP charts i see that i wont even be able to get level 9 fighter because it requires 250000xp, which i cant get... am i correct?
    Post edited by Qayin on
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I'd recommend you have two saves; one for yourself and a whole other one for when you're playing with your friend. It's not like you're gonna wear the game out after one play through. Plenty of things to do.

And, as for your idea of "Fighter/Cleric," I'd say absolutely. It's a very powerful multi-class and I know you wouldn't regret it. It's powerful, and effective.

I would also suggest that, first time replaying the game, I wouldn't bother dual-classing. It's complicated and confusing. But if you insist, by all means go ahead. Just my two bits, though. I've been playing this game for ages and I've *just* started experimenting with dual-class and it's still a bit confusing at times, so...
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Qayin said:

actually it was ur post that gave me the idea!
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4627/leveling-up-in-candlekeep-anyone-ever-do-that/p1

i know being a multi-class i will level alot slower than he does, even if we only play with a 4 man group, and i want to experience the game plot and dialogues with him, so i cant play a diff char and progress...

so why not come into the game with him being a-bit stronger?

edit: Reading and understanding a-bit more, if there is a 161k xp level cap in TotSC, that means that if i want to Dual class from fighter to anything at level 13, that means i can ONLY do it in BG2 right? because looking at XP charts i see that i wont even be able to get level 9 fighter because it requires 250000xp, which i cant get... am i correct?

I feel like people play up the "leveling slower" thing. If you really feel like you're too far behind your buddy, just use console commands to boost that character's XP. It'll basically equate to the same thing and honestly both methods are abusing exploits.

And you're right about dual-classing. If you want to make the most omfgüberpwnzilla character at the end of the saga, you'd be a fighter the entire duration of BG1. People overplay how "overpowered" dual-classing is. By the time you regain your class levels if you totally min/max benefits, 75% of the game is already over and you will have struggled with that transition phase more so than single-class guys will "struggle" with end-game content. That's just my opinion, though.

If you just want to min/max for BG1's sake, you can only get to 6 as fighter and still regain cleric levels. Kind of a bummer. If they up the cap to 174k, you could go 7Fit/8Cleric. I really hope they do!

And you're right about dual-classing. If you want to make the most omfgüberpwnzilla character at the end of the saga, you'd be a fighter the entire duration of BG1. People overplay how "overpowered" dual-classing is. By the time you regain your class levels if you totally min/max benefits, 75% of the game is already over and you will have struggled with that transition phase more so than single-class guys will "struggle" with end-game content. That's just my opinion, though.

I'm with you there. I'm having enough trouble keeping my sanity doing the Xzar Necromancer 6/Cleric 8 thing, I don't want to imagine doing something worse ...
  • TaisharTaishar Member Posts: 27
    Let me ask a different but related question. If I want to dual class as a mage/ XX (not sure what), how high should I take the XXX before switching to mage and still be able to get max level before end of the game? Does that question make sense?
    edited September 2012
    Yeah @Taishar I get you. You want to get to Level 9 Mage so you can have sexy Level 5 Mage spells.

You could make a Level 5 Fighter, Level 6 Thief, or Level 5 Cleric.

http://www.pottsland.com/baulder/create/create_exp_limits.shtml
    edited September 2012
    @Taishar: I assume you want mage on the back-end.

This table is the XP chart for Mages. Assuming the XP cap is intact, you can get to level 9 with 26k xp left in overflow.

If you want to absolutely max Mage, you can dual-class from Fighter and Cleric at 5, or Thief as 6.
    Thank you much!
    Thanks! With that info, which dual class mixed best with Mage? I mean if the spell limit is going to conflict with cleric, for example, then it would be useless. Maybe a thief? Don't need high strength and would get nice skills.

I feel like such a n00b :p
    At just 5/6 levels, I'd say fighter. You can be a semi-competent thief at disarming traps and opening locks but only just, and you wouldn't gain much use out of the rest of your thief skills. 5 levels of fighter is still better thac0 than you'd get at a level 15 mage, and it's a huge HP boost too. That is justification enough for me.

I'd recommend taking the Berzerker kit. Gimps your range, but gives you the ever handy rage ability which makes you immune to just about every instant-death and CC effect in the game for a couple rounds. Stays handy throughout, much more than mastery over bows would.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279

At just 5/6 levels, I'd say fighter. You can be a semi-competent thief at disarming traps and opening locks but only just, and you wouldn't gain much use out of the rest of your thief skills. 5 levels of fighter is still better thac0 than you'd get at a level 15 mage, and it's a huge HP boost too. That is justification enough for me.

I'd recommend taking the Berzerker kit. Gimps your range, but gives you the ever handy rage ability which makes you immune to just about every instant-death and CC effect in the game for a couple rounds. Stays handy throughout, much more than mastery over bows would.

This. Also, there are enough thieves ingame to cover that for you. If you're good, get Imoen to 7 and dual her to a mage. If Evil, take Monty as a fighter/thief.

And yes, a fighter/cleric is an amazing combo. Agreed if you are dual-classing, start as a Berserker and dual to a cleric. If you're a tanky spellcaster you don't need range, and the enrage ability is amazing. I think you can even use it to ignore web in the Cloakwood.

Awesome info, thanks!
    wow so much awesome info!
    i thought about this and ur right.. no point in it.
    i think i will however console remove the xp limit and convince my friend to play just him and me and maybe imoen. the way i see it its "Fair" (but that's subjective.)

the question of Duel class VS Multi is VERY confusing to me...
    i know that if i want to get the most out of my Fighter ill need to wait for 13 for the extra 1/2 attack (which ill get sometime in BGII) so why not just take Multi instantly? what are the weaknesses/drawbacks?
    Weeeeell, if you are playing a multiclassed fighter/mage, you won't be able to level your mage as fast, as the fighter class will drain half your XP. The key negative with this is your spell progression. If you level a fighter to the point of grand mastery, then dual to a mage, you will be able to make the xp back, and overall have a top powered pure mage, with decent fighter stats underneath it (good thaco, lots of HP, but primarily a spellcaster).

Its hard to say which one is going to be best until we see what the level cap is, but my instinct is fighter dualed to mage. That's what I'll be playing.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    You should have a grand time playing a multi-class Fighter-Cleric. You'll level fast enough. Actually, playing with just three characters you'll be leveling up all the time. You don't need to do power-leveling in Candkeleep or anywhere else to have a great time with the game. I would recommend that you keep pace with your friend (i.e., no need to play solo for the purpose of leveling) and just play the game as it is designed for the first run-through. You can run a separate game for when you want to play outside of the game with your friend.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I fully agree with what @Lemernis said and would recommend you the same things.
    Lemernis said:

You should have a grand time playing a multi-class Fighter-Cleric. You'll level fast enough. Actually, playing with just three characters you'll be leveling up all the time. You don't need to do power-leveling in Candkeleep or anywhere else to have a great time with the game. I would recommend that you keep pace with your friend (i.e., no need to play solo for the purpose of leveling) and just play the game as it is designed for the first run-through. You can run a separate game for when you want to play outside of the game with your friend.

Alright - im convinced! =)
    could you give me a quick tip please telling me which kits i should take and if there are any special/much needed things i need to know about this multiclass? (prolly taking Dwarf for the bonus CON and good magic throws.. (am i right?)

anything else? weapons wise and such?

and how "bad" is it that i cant get grand mastery in weapons?
    If you're playing a dwarf you can't dual-class, you'll need to go a multiclass fighter/cleric. Unless the EE is changing the core rules, you will be unable to pick a kit when selecting a multiclass fighter/cleric.

As clerics can't take edged weapons, I always liked using maces. There's good maces available in-game as well. So, points in mace, flails are good too, with a few points in shield if you have any to spare. He'll be an epic tank.

BTW, grand mastery MAY be available, they fixed it via mods but dont know if its included in EE for multiclass characters.

Max your strength, dex, con and wisdom. What a machine.