Skip to content

Using one innate ability restricts another for a period of time

GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
I'm attempting to create this restriction...

"At level 11, the kensai gains a second ki power, the whirlwind attack. It may only be done once per day, and must be a standard attack within the kensai's dedication... He may not use his other ki power for maximum damage at all on the same day"

I've managed how to figure out to restrict access to the entire innate tab for a period of time, but that would also prevent access to a PC's other inmates (healing ect...) anyone have any ideas to simply prevent access to a specific innate?

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    You could remove the ability and then restore it on a delay. I am not sure what would happen if the game was saved and reloaded during that delay time, however.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Could Kai be given the additional effect of reducing Memorised Kai Whirlwind count by 1, while Kai Whirlwind had an effect of reducing memorised Kai uses by 99 or somesuch?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,468

You could remove the ability and then restore it on a delay. I am not sure what would happen if the game was saved and reloaded during that delay time, however.

Delayed effects are working fine generally, but they are prone to failure under certain conditions. It would most likely break when you're removing effects from the character via Ctrl-R or maybe by some legal means as well (e.g. on death/petrification/imprisonment, or by the anti-magic areas in Watcher's Keep).
    argent77 said:

Delayed effects are working fine generally, but they are prone to failure under certain conditions. It would most likely break when you're removing effects from the character via Ctrl-R or maybe by some legal means as well (e.g. on death/petrification/imprisonment, or by the anti-magic areas in Watcher's Keep).
    Aaahh, regarding anti magic areas: what if it was flagged non magical?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Sometimes simple is best--try using a 206 on the ability to block other spells/abilities with a day-long duration.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    CamDawg said:

Sometimes simple is best--try using a 206 on the ability to block other spells/abilities with a day-long duration.

Thank you for your feedback, would this prevent the PC from casting a spell they are protected from? Or would it "protect" them from the effects of the spell?
    CamDawg said:

This seems like the best solution.

Still, what if the kensai uses the ability and then immediately rests? Maybe an 8-12 hour duration would be better. I don't think that most characters would go much longer than that before resting, anyway, and they would (generally or always) get the ability back as soon as they wake
    edited March 2016

This seems like the best solution.

Still, what if the kensai uses the ability and then immediately rests? Maybe an 8-12 hour duration would be better. I don't think that most characters would go much longer than that before resting, anyway, and they would (generally or always) get the ability back as soon as they wake

While yes that could be considered a workaround by the player, the point is that whirlwind is incredibly taxing on the Kensai's ki, thus resting would be appropriate.

I could also consider a fatigue component?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Greener said:

CamDawg said:

Thank you for your feedback, would this prevent the PC from casting a spell they are protected from? Or would it "protect" them from the effects of the spell?
    Unfortunately, the latter. One of the drawbacks with this approach is that the PC can still cast (and waste) the spell without receiving any benefits.
    CamDawg said:

Unfortunately, the latter. One of the drawbacks with this approach is that the PC can still cast (and waste) the spell without receiving any benefits.

I understand, thank you for the clarification.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2016

First, make sure the .spl filename of the max damage ki power is seven letters long, not eight.

Then, add a Global Effect (to use the parlance of Near Infinity... not sure what DLTCEP calls these)... that is, a Global Effect, *NOT* an effect inside a spell ability. This effect should use opcode 172, "Remove Ability" to remove the ki power, with timing set to "delayed/permanent" and duration set to 1199. (I think. Basically look at the duration of Stoneskin and make this one second shorter.

Then add a second Global Effect, using opcode 171 "Grant Innate Ability" to grant to max damage kit power to the character. Timing = "delayed/permanent," duration = 1200. I.e. one second longer than the 172 effect.

Honestly I'm not sure the one-second difference is really necessary, as long as the 172 effect is higher when you view the spell in NI. But I use the one-second difference, just to be sure. If you die in that one second you might lose the ability, but the chance of that happening is tiny, and honestly maybe it's desirable. Like, your ki is disrupted by the timing of the blow. You know how getting hit in the chest by a baseball in a particular split-second between heartbeats can kill you? Something like that.

Anyway losing the ability will not cause long-term problems. Think about it: you will still have the Whirlwind ability. Sleep, then cast Whirlwind; 1200 seconds later it will trigger opcode 171 and give you back the max damage ability! So dying in that one second will only make you lose the ability for 2 days, max. So, this is how I would do it.

Absolutely brilliant, thank you!

You know how getting hit in the chest by a baseball in a particular split-second between heartbeats can kill you?

It's called commotion cords :smiley:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2016
    Another possible solution I was considering was a fatigue penalty (bonus), similar to the effects of haste thereby inflicting a penalty on user suggestive of their exhaustive actions? Thoughts?
    Post edited by Greener on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.