Skip to content

Morrowind Bard Advice

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
edited March 2016 in Off-Topic
So I'm messing with Morrowind again and this time playing a Female Khajiit Bard. Thing the first, should I go with the default Bard class within the game? Also, what factions fit the Bard? I'm thinking thieves guild. This will also be my first run of Morrowind. I tried a D&D Cleric last time but didn't get very far so starting again.

Default Morrowind Bard

Specialization:
Stealth

Statistics:
Intelligence
Personality

Major Skills:
Long Blades
Alchemy
Speechcraft
Acrobatics
Block

Minor Skills:
Mercantile
Illusion
Medium Armor
Enchant
Security

Also, if I wanted to level Conjuration and Sneak would they be difficult to do without them being in my major or minor skills?

Edit: I also want to use the Lady starsign or whatever for +25 personality and Endurance. I want Charisma to the MAX
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited March 2016
    In the base game, the most fitting faction would probably be the House Hlaalu in Balmora. They're mostly made out of merchants, art lovers and various civilized rogue types. There are also some fitting faction mods out there which could fit the bill. So you could try to look around Morrowind Nexus' mod database as well, amongst other modding communities.

As for whenever to go with the Elder Scroll's Bard or some pseudo D&D Bard build: that's something only you can decide for yourself. Leveling up misc skills (which are neither part of your major or minor skill sets) can be quite tedious and usually take a long time to master. Meaning the less important a skill is to your class, the slower it improves and lets you level up slower as well. I usually go with custom created classes for that very reason.

Choosing an Birthsign with permanent stat bonuses is a two edged sword in my opinion. On early levels such a thing is indeed quite useful. But soon after mid levels and skill improvements it becomes a bottleneck. After all the base value of Attributes in Morrowind cannot exceed 100. Only with the help of spells, potions and enchantments you can go beyond that limit.
    JuliusBorisovVallmyrsemiticgoddessShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited March 2016
    Alright, thanks for the advice n_n

and I mainly want to focus on Intelligence, Personality, and Luck as my primary statistics. I'm thinking of going with a custom class with the following build:

Dirgesinger

Specialization: Stealth

Favored Attributes:
    Intelligence
    Luck

Major Skills:
    Long Blades
    Speechcraft
    Alchemy
    Block
    Conjuration

Minor Skills:
    Illusion
    Enchant
    Medium Armor
    Security
    Mercantile

Lady Birthsign.

Strength: 30
    Intelligence: 50
    Willpower: 30
    Agility: 50
    Speed: 40
    Endurance: 65
    Personality: 65
    Luck: 50

Thoughts?

I kind of want Restoration for the "Fortify X" spells but I think I can cover that with Alchemy and Khajiit's start with low willpower.

Edit: prob going to switch to short blades to take advantage of Khajiit's +5 to them and stealth specialization

Edit the second: Decided to switch Block out for Sneak as well. I'll train block by paying trainers and have it naturally level since there's no reason to not where a shield it seems.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Looks doable.

Seeing as you're planning a Dirgesinger build, you may be interested in joining the Tribunal Temple faction as well. It's the native religion of Vvardenfell (Morrowind) and is pretty much an ancestor veneration believe system. In contrast to the Imperial Cult, they promote "Necromancy" (or Alchemy/Mysticism/Conjuration by this game's standard) and use it to communicate with the spirits of the dead. I imagine it would be interesting to pacify deceased with furneral songs and the likes. ;)

A piece of advice: if you want to join the Temple and become high ranked, do so early. This faction will be locked after you are far into the main story. Neither get you further quests to advance in ranks.

Apropos, during your upcoming playthrough you may turn into a vampire. Out of the three available factions I'd recommend the Berne Clan for stealth based characters. There is also the Audane Clan which boosts your magic talents, but I never liked those high stuck Altmer bats. :p
    VallmyrJuliusBorisov
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Again, thanks for the advice! Morrowind's character creation is super depth-y but I love it a lot.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage