Skip to content

Linux gamers as second-class customers for pre-orders of SoD

I'm a long time fan of Beamdog's work, but based on the pre-order announcement for SoD, I really feel as though Linux gamers like myself are being treated as second-class customers.

From what I can decipher from the updated FAQ:
- There will be no DRM-free Linux version on the Collector's Edition DVD
- There will be no DRM-free Linux version made available ever for those that pre-purchase the Digital Deluxe Edition
- The only way to access the pre-purchased product on Linux is to send a separate email after release and "request" a Steam key (this wording seems to imply that the request could be turned down at Beamdog's discretion)
- There is no definitive word on whether a DRM-free standalone version for Linux will be made available anywhere, even after the Windows release, let alone in any reasonable time frame

Finally, the phrasing that the Windows-only Steam release will be followed "shortly thereafter" by a Linux release could imply anything from a few weeks to several months, as the Linux community has learned the hard way - why can't a commitment be made to a specific date for a platform that was previously supposed to be available on release?

Is this what Linux gamers should expect from future Beamdog releases as well? I had really hoped that the excellent IWDEE release would set the tone.

Comments

• AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    cofix said:

Finally, the phrasing that the Windows-only Steam release will be followed "shortly thereafter" by a Linux release could imply anything from a few weeks to several months, as the Linux community has learned the hard way - why can't a commitment be made to a specific date for a platform that was previously supposed to be available on release?

The text on the page is incorrect and will be adjusted.

The Steam version of SoD will support Windows, Mac and Linux at launch, on March 31st.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    cofix said:

- There is no definitive word on whether a DRM-free standalone version for Linux will be made available anywhere, even after the Windows release, let alone in any reasonable time frame

There's been no public announcement and I am not a representative of Beamdog or GOG, but I would make an educated guess IMOHO that a Linux version will most likely be available on GOG not unlike the previous EEs when they debuted there.
  • onelasttry84onelasttry84 Member Posts: 52
    AlexT said:

cofix said:

The Steam version of SoD will support Windows, Mac and Linux at launch, on March 31st.

Sweet!

I don't share the OPs opinion. Just the fact that all EEs are available natively on Linux is a great thing. I had to request a steam-key from Beamdog for BGEE and BGIIEE and it took them only a couple of hours to respond... No complaints, you guys keep up the good work!