I'll be honest, I absolutely hate the new save system.
1. Auto-Save. This is horrible, it drove me away from Pillars of Eternity (partly because they add an insane amount of time to loading areas for no explainable reason). I see how it's useful for some, though a lack of an option to disable it for those that have no need of it is disappointing as it contributes to issue 3.
2. Quick Saves now make multiple saves rather than overwriting a single slot. This is completely unnecessary, quick saves should be an easy and quick way to make a safe point before encounters and leave hard saves for sustaining overall game progress. This also leads to the next issue.
3. The new UI killed the functionality of the Save Menu. You moved the buttons to the bottom of the screen in order to make room for displaying my character's name. I know what my character's names are and I know how to name saves accordingly to reflect what character it is and what I'm actively doing in that particular save. You have added unnecessary tedium for a "feature" that increases required mouse movement, thus adding time to the process of deleting the dozens of quick-saves and auto-saves.
4. Finally, you added tedium to creating hard saves by not having the text box automatically selected, a feature that has always been there. (I'm not sure if this is actually an intended change or a bug.)
5. Due to the increased size of each save slot, fewer are visible on screen at once. This is a minor thing, however less need for scrolling is always better.
Please either consider restoring the old save system (that was in my biased opinion, perfect) or give players the options to:
Disable auto-saves and set how many quick-saves get created from 1 to however many a player may want. I can live with the new save UI, but these two things make it unbearable. I live by quick-save and having to go in and delete tons of them every so often to remove the clutter is not enjoyable.
Thank you for reading and providing constant support for such an old and beloved series. The save system aside, I'm loving the improvements from patch 2.0 and look forward to buying and playing Siege of Dragonspear once it is released on Steam on the 31st.
EDIT: Corrected some inaccurate information.