Skip to content

Turning pictures into drawings / paintings?

SwordLordSwordLord Member Posts: 16
I picked up a couple of pictures of the late, great, David Bowie in the movie Labyrinth. He looks marvelous as a wizard. I also picked up a few other pictures I'd like to use as custom portraits.

Does anyone have a tool they use to turn pictures into images that "match" with Baldurs Gate images? Sometimes people use web/phone apps to turn images into cartoons so I thought someone may be using something like that.

Comments

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    If such a tool exists, I'd like to know about it too... But I doubt it.

I know that there are artists on deviantart who start with a photo of a person and then spend hours brushing over it by hand using digital painting software in order to make it look like a painted video game portrait.

Why would they go to that effort if the same effect could be achieved with the press of a button?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    There's a couple of websites that say they can turn a photo into a painting, but they just apply a filter of some sort and they don't look very good.

There's a bunch of tutorials out there for using Photoshop to make a photo look painterly, but I've never tried them so I don't know how well they work. I'd say they're your best bet though.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Gimp can be used for this purpose, just apply a little blur, play with color balance and contrast and use different amounts of sharpen repeatedly until it looks baldurised. I have my custom portraits created by the program and they are not bad.
    Ofcourse there are professional bg portrait makers here, they are very very good at it. Just check old custom portrait threads.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @ineth

I tried your 2 minute portrait technique... hehe, cool.

JuliusBorisovinethIllustair
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    edited May 2016

Has anyone ever made a you-know-who BG portrait for this? B)

Go for the eyes, Rocket, go for the eyes!!
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Illustair Not gonna lie, my first thought here was "Stay good, Riff! Don't be evil!"
    Illustair