Skip to content

Jan Jansen is the best

KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 924
He's definitely my favorite NPC.

He's funny, he's got personality, and he's freaking powerful.

Most people tote UAI as the best thief HLA, but I love Jan with his traps.

The rest of the team can have a tea party when Jan wants to go all out.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I love him too, but I've never had him past chapter 3 =/
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Meh
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2016
    Pretty much with you on that @lunar, I have him in practically every play-through I do because I just don't know what I would do without my dearest gnome.

I usually kit him out with the Firetooth +4 and the Staff of the Magi +5 by the end of Chapter 2 and then just leave him to do his gnome things. Maybe give him the robe of Vecna providing I haven't another character to use it.

He is the reason I almost exclusively play gnomes in pnp.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2016
    @SpaceInvader yeah the game is weird like that, it all goes 'aha, you can not escape from a deep, personal and horribly unfun quest of an npc you love so easily!' and that cousin spawns again and again but not immediately, at least in my experience. Sooner or later I succumb and get slow when I enter a new area and fail to kill the cousin before he reaches the party. Must have a pw:kill memorised at all times for this.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 924
    It's a 5 minute silly side quest. I don't mind doing it.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Just Ctrl+Y those cousins into oblivion. Or do the quick and easy quest lol.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 276
    edited March 2016
    I always found Jan's quest oddly touching and interesting, showing that the crazy gnome has a well-concealed serious and kind hearted side to him...

The tangled triangle between him, his love and his rival are one of the few character conflicts I find actually fairly convincing as well. It's too bad bioware never extended the plot to a more final conclusion; I realize there is a mod that does this but I'm dreading it turns out to be yet another poorly written mod that ruins the existing mini story for me.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 664
    Yep, definitely one of my favourite NPCs and probably the most rewarding NPC thief to use in the game. Although a player-created thief is probably more customisable of course, and a I think is a better option if you want to go that route.
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    Yeah, his quest is one of the worst (and actually, it literally diserserved a "unfinished buisness" mod like we had for the various item of the mine in bg1)

In addition, i don't even know how you dare equip him with firetooth, when he already has the strongest ranged weapon of the game. (thx to his bolt ofc)
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2016
    Jan Jansen is the Tiax of BG2. In other words: he rocks, has great banters, a nice background, and favors any party.

I would love to see a conversation between those two, by the way.