Skip to content

Neutral Cleric Turn Undead

BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Is there an option for a Neutral aligned cleric to choose to convert or repel/hurt undead monsters?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Turn undead works the same regardless of alignment, it's only based on the cleric's level.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    Shin said:

Turn undead works the same regardless of alignment, it's only based on the cleric's level.

Derp? I don't believe that's true ...
    Evil clerics turn undead into allies
    Good clerics turn undead into dust
    Neutral clerics also turn undead into dust I believe

Edit: the chance of successfully turning undead is based on your level though ... and charisma I think?
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    I'm asking if this was an option that was added. My bad.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345

Shin said:

Edit: the chance of successfully turning undead is based on your level though ... and charisma I think?
    Yeah, sorry, I meant in regards to there being extra options available for any alignment.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316

Shin said:

In BG/BG2 charisma is irrelevant for turn undead
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2012
    I believe in PnP it works like this:

Lawful: Turns undead, makes them flee.
    Neutral: Holds undead, they can't move.
    Chaotic: Destroys undead, they are removed from play.

This is from memory and might be house rules. (I DM'ed using this system)
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    edited September 2012
    Just checked 3rd edition rulebook:

Good Clerics: Turn undead, run in fear.
    Evil Clerics: Rebuke undead, cower in awe.

Neutral Clerics: Choose.

Note: While this is the general rule of thumb a Cleric's power is always decided by their god, for example some Lawful-Good goods give their clerics the power to Rebuke rather then Turn undead.

Edit: Ohhhh, you mean In Baldur's gate? yeah alignment has no effect on turn undead in the game :)
    I am certain that in BG that Evil Clerics convert Undead into allies and Good Clerics rebuke and even kill Undeads based upon the Cleric's Level and the power of the Undead being affected.

So, no one can confirm if Neutrals will have the ability to choose in EE?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't believe they will, no. Good and neutral clerics will still turn and destroy undead as before.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Ya, currently it's Good and Neutral destroy them, and Evil can basically make them your pawns.

It would be super cool if Neutrals caused them to be held though, that's neat.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Quartz said:

Ya, currently it's Good and Neutral destroy them, and Evil can basically make them your pawns.

Yep. Though, ironically, it's the good Clerics who have that option (PoL's Hold Undead ability)

Evil clerics can be fun when they get to a high enough level to control vampires LOL

Wonder how high a level you have to be to control liches...
    I think Neutral Clerics "holding" nearby Undeads with "Turn Undead" command would be the easiest to implement from an interface standpoint, because it would take no adjustments to interface.

But the option to toggle between Repell/Harm and Control Undead would be more difficult to implement.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Also evil clerics can turn paladin (fear). No wonder why Viconia and Keldorn dont get along...
    bbear said:

Also evil clerics can turn paladin (fear). No wonder why Viconia and Keldorn dont get along...

Can they really??
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Bbear
    @Boaster

I think they had implemented that briefly in BG2 before removing it in ToB. That is how it works in PnP though. Also paladins/Good Clerics can turn Blackguards

I think they had implemented that briefly in BG2 before removing it in ToB. That is how it works in PnP though. Also paladins/Good Clerics can turn Blackguards

Interesting!
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    what a clusterf*ck here

In Baldurs Gate games (not pnp, not 3ed d&d, not ad&d, not tabletop, not starwars)

good and neutral clerics fear and later chunk undead
    evil cleric charm undead, which dont give any exp if killed by mobs, and fear Keldorn, ToB installed or not

good/neutral and evil clerics get different spells too.
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    @MilesBeyond regarding controling Liches - around 24 I think from previous experence. That's BG2 though, never tried it on the lich in TOB or Demi-liches.

Always found destroying undead more helpful.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Isair said:

@MilesBeyond regarding controling Liches - around 24 I think from previous experence. That's BG2 though, never tried it on the lich in TOB or Demi-liches.

More helpful, yes. More entertaining? Definitely not. ;)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Isair said:

More helpful, yes. More entertaining? Definitely not. ;)
    Idk ... chunking liches always made me feel dirty with glee.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    Good and neutral clerics make undead run away. Evil clerics make undead into temporary allies and make paladins (including allies) run away.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694

Quartz said:

Yep. Though, ironically, it's the good Clerics who have that option (PoL's Hold Undead ability)

Evil clerics can be fun when they get to a high enough level to control vampires LOL

Wonder how high a level you have to be to control liches...
    Pretty high. Turning undead has a "special" category where Liches, High level Evil Clerics and Anti-Paladins/Blackguards can be turned (Good Clerics and Paladins for Evil Clerics). I think it starts at levels 9 and up. Liches are slightly less- starting at level 8, you can attempt to turn them. However, you need a 20 to do so at level 8 (likewise for the specials at level 9), and it goes down from there.

@Bbear
    @Boaster

Yes. Paladins turn as cleric of 2 levels lower than their actual level.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @LadyRhian

I was referring to Viconia being able to turn Keldorn
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Dragonspear Ah. Yes, as long as she's high enough level and rolls well enough, she can in Pen and Paper. :)
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Quartz said:

I'm pretty sure I've had evil Viconia make fireworks out of shadows and zombies
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    Viconia itself can be permanently turned in ToB if romanced, heh. Spells stay though.