Skip to content

Mac 2.0 Beta

MythrinnMythrinn Member Posts: 42
I just pre-ordered SoD (Yay, so excited)! I already had BG:EE on my iPad, and didn't want to wait for 2.0 or SoD to be release a month+ later. Now that I own the BeamDog version of BG:EE how do I get in on the 2.0 Beta? There is no BeamDog Client for Mac so not sure how to download it. Please advise.

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    You can't. Only the Steam version lets new people in. I've got the Steam versions on my wishlist in case there's a sale before the beta closes.
  • MythrinnMythrinn Member Posts: 42
    That's a bummer. I was deployed to Iraq during the previous Betas so I couldn't get in. Oh well, it will be here before we know it, hopefully.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Can't you still email Beamdog support and get a Steam key if you have the game on Beamdog?
  • MythrinnMythrinn Member Posts: 42
    Yeah, I suppose I could, but I don't support Steam. The 2.0 release is a little over 2 weeks away. I can wait.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

I got a Steam key, downloaded the app in Steam, updated to the beta... and crashed to desktop instantaneously. Better figure out how that redmine thing works...

I still have the Beamdog version installed; I wonder whether they are trying to write some files to the same place?

The steam version works just fine on my mac. One thing to watch out for is both version write saves to the same folder (in 'documents' if I remember correctly), you might want to remove/rename the BG:EE folder and let the steam version re-create it.

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    That would be unfortunate if it is a Mountain Lion issue, but mention was made of extensively reworking the engine for 64-bit systems; it is possible that some dependencies on newer frameworks fell out of the process, without making a deliberate choice?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    My thought is not that Mountain Lion is not 64-bit, but that a lot of re-engineering of the code may have occurred for targeting a 64-bit executable, and that would probably have been done with a more recent version of Xcode/Clang (the Apple compiler) which might accidentally have introduced later dependencies.

The problem I see is not 64-bit itself, but the tool-chain used to develop 64-bit support.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Definitely should be working, yes. Hopefully we'll be able to help you get it working.

(From one Mac user to another, when was the last time you restarted your computer?)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I read "Steam" as "Spain" and got really concerned for a minute. Let us know how it goes after refreshing, although you may want to wait our QA staff are back into work; they may have some things for you to try that I haven't thought of.

In the meantime, have you tried...um... pressing the Cmd and the Shift keys at the same time? I'm pretty sure that's supposed to fix everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.