Skip to content

Balance solution (possible)

feliofelio Member Posts: 2
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
There are some cases were the people of the forum disagree about some balancing problem. And probably this makes decisions for the dev team really hard.
Examples:
1) Multyclass:
- multyclass too OP. modify it for better game balance.
- no you are wrong, it isn't. i like it as it is. I always played like that. i want it. (or also "i want to be OP" :P )
2) Stats rolling
- stats rolling is "obsolete" and "stupid" (just understand what i mean) use a point distribuition system or something like that.
- no rolling is the soul of BG. I spent hours rolling that fu***ing dice. I hate/love it. I want it.

And there may be many situation like these two. Since these are not really "problems" that must be addressed, the team probably does not know what to do. Maybe would like to change something either because they think it's better and because the players asked for it. But at the same time they don't want to risk to denaturalize BG and go against other players.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION:
When you start a new game there is choiche option about using the old balance system or a new one with all the balance changes that the team thought would be right.

So you (dev team) can do all the balance are asked. I don't know if it is really doable, maybe it's too complex to do.. or maybe not.

PS: personally i prefer balancing "nerfing" the OP problem. It's a fact the there are some path that are chosen by every player in every playtrought 'cause they are "stronger". Yes the player can decide to not do it, but as games developers you should know that a player feels obliged to do it since he wants to create the best party possible.
And i'm a player who likes harder games.. already played BG so if you balance the game try to it nerfing the OP rather than buffing the weak spots. (this is just my opinion, nothing to do with the possible problem solution).

PPS: about stats rolling i want both solution^^ 'cause "stat rolling is obsolete and stupid" and "rolling is the soul of BG. I spent hours rolling that fu***ing dice. I hate/love it.".

EDIT: another thing about balancing. Remember that after the game is out there will be mods made by players that will allow you to do many new things, probably everything you ever dreamed. So if the modders are mostly going to give you more flexibility/options and, in short, more power, the dev team should focus on the other side of balancing.
Post edited by felio on

Comments

• ryu1ryu1 Member Posts: 76
    ahhh....rolling the stats dice. Funny how I spent 2 mins doing every other creation section but I usually spent like 30 mins trying to get a high dice roll as possible. Frustrating but awesome! They should make that into a minigame :)