Skip to content

Question about Tomes

IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
I'd like to give the Tomes of Str and Con to Khalid. I know they won't carry over to BG2 but will he have the stat increase in SOD as he'll be my main tank?

Comments

• Abdel_AdrianAbdel_Adrian Member Posts: 430
    They should, since it's just an expansion and not a new game you retain all your characters and stats.
    But that's such a waste of 2 very valuable tomes imho :(
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    12 str & con doesn't get bonus when 13. Lol. So wasted on my protagonist.

I'll steal the rest though!!
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Ithual said:

2 words: Weight Limit.
    edited March 2016
    Ok, so here's my rational. I am a mage. I have no idea what to expect in SOD and would like my team to be max effective.

I have tanks/donkeys to carry all my heavy stuff. Scrolls don't weigh much.

A mage with str 12, dex 18, con 12, Int & Wis 18 and cha 11 is not gonna need those books.

It would be wiser to give to someone on the frontline.

Jaheira doesn't carry the stats over to BG2, so Khalid is the obvious choice.
    illathid said:

Ithual said:

2 words: Weight Limit.
    The weight limit doesn't increase from 12 str to 13 str.
  • Abdel_AdrianAbdel_Adrian Member Posts: 430
    Okay, look at it this way:
    (may contain minor spoilers)
    The canon party is Charname (who in my opinion is entitled to a 108 stat roll but that's beside the point), Imoen, Khalid & Jaheira, and Minsc & Dynaheir.
    If you're planning on playing BG2 with a similar party as the first game, it's definitely wasteful to give any tomes at all to Khalid and Dynaheir.

Some stats changed between games, like Jaheira's, and last I checked Beamdog still hasn't addressed the fact that she gains 3 CON between Sarevok and Irenicus' Dungeon. So if you're playing with that kind of inconsistency anyway, you could go as far as to give her 3 CON in BGEE. It's minor in comparison and not cheating at all to force your tome stat change to carry over, either with EEKeeper or CLUAconsole. Minsc would benefit from from str, con, and dex tomes, and so would Imoen with the addition of intelligence; her weight limit would also increase significantly from 1 STR.

You might have to wait until SoA/ToB to see interesting benefits from carrying over the stat tomes, but they're so much better spent as a long-term investment.

If you're interested:
    C:CreateItem("BOOKxx")

BOOK03 Manual of Bodily Health (CON)
    BOOK04 Manual of Gainful Exercise (STR)
    BOOK05 Manual of Quickness of Action (DEX)
    BOOK06 Tome of Clear Thought (INT)
    BOOK07 Tome of Leadership and Influence (CHA)
    BOOK08 Tome of Understanding (WIS)

Fun fact- there's one of every manual/tome in BGEE except for the Tome of Understanding which has 3 copies. Makes for a fun Fighter/Cleric protagonist.

Hmm... you raise good points. I don't use Minsc, but Jaheira obviously. So makes sense to give to her and then edit in Irenicus' Dungeon.

I do have a Cleric of Lathander in BG2 with 21 Wis!! Lol.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    One of my favorite 'cheats' was to carry unused Tomes over into SoA and immediately pause/drop them. I did't see much point in importing anything else, since you would soon best any kit found in the first game, but the Tomes were special, and could have a real impact on BG2 NPCs.

I would love it if BeamDog would one day recognize Tomes on import, and scatter them through SoA to be recovered at various later stages of the game. Otherwise, it is very hard to justify anything but having the PC consumes them all, generally reducing interesting options and taking fun out of the game.

Granted, the game is not balanced for Tomes migrating from one game into the next, it was definitely a cheesy move to make it happen - but it would still be a nice reward for showing restraint.

Of course, there is the argument that Minsc already benefits from the Dex and Con Tomes, Viconia grabbed all 3 Wisdom Tomes before you replaced her with more goodly-aligned party members. I think Edwin may have grabbed a Tome or two too...
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Also Jaheira gets a lot of dex.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited March 2016
    There are items and spells that set Str and Con to fixed values. I would use these with Khalid.

I have a hunch Beamdog will have taken steps to make him more effective in SoD anyway.

[ninja strikes]
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    Fardragon said:

There are items and spells that set Str and Con to fixed values. I would use these with Khalid.

I have a hunch Beamdog will have taken steps to make him more effective in ToB anyway.

Do you know something about Khalid we don't?...
    edited March 2016
    Fardragon said:

I have a hunch Beamdog will have taken steps to make him more effective in ToB anyway.

I'm assuming you mean SOD and not TOB?

That said, even with 15 str, Khalid quickly leaves the other good aligned tanks behind. His only fault is his poor Morale.
    I generally give Khalid the cursed belt of hill giant strength from Rasaad's quest.
    @GreenWarlock if I was Irenicus, I'd just steal your tomes and use them on myself.
    Ithual said:

@GreenWarlock if I was Irenicus, I'd just steal your tomes and use them on myself.

Who needs books when you have the whole tree?
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Ithual Naturally I assume he is likely to consume the Tomes himself, but who says the new ones we find scattered around the game are the same ones that he stole from me? I see it more as a reward for not using them early, the game allows me to pick up a similar reward to apply later, elsewhere.

I would be equally happy with unlocking equivalent one-time stat boosts by other means, matching exactly the number of transferred Tomes (capped to numbers obtained from a single play-through ;)) as long as any character, not just the main PC, could benefit.

Basically, any way to reward players for not doing the only thing that makes numerical sense - which is consuming all Tomes on the main PC in the first game.